• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Washington Capitals @ Philadelphia Flyers, 11/1/13

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For Caps fans, five important things to take away from tonight:

1. Got a much needed win
2. Nobody got hurt.
3. I assume nobody will get suspended.
4. Initial reports are that Holtby's hair is still amazing. There will be further tests in the morning to look for frayed ends or early signs of cowlicks but those are precautionary.
5. Brooks Laich's baby blues Nd chiseled jaw are still intact.

(Numbers 4 and 5 are good for humanity as well)

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not going to say Philly is a shithole because it isn't. What Emery did deserves a major suspension but I am not going to crush a very nice city for the acts of their hockey team.

^Girlfriend bias! ;)

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah, she's not from Philly. In all honesty, I think they have the best Art museum in the nation and fantastic places for dinner and evening fun. She went to school at Ursinus, outside Philly.

And it's fiancé ;)

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah, she's not from Philly. In all honesty, I think they have the best Art museum in the nation and fantastic places for dinner and evening fun. She went to school at Ursinus, outside Philly.

And it's fiancé ;)

Oooo right. Apologies, good sir.

Plenty of nice people in Philly, but to be fair, many there do take pride in being outrageous and uncivil as fans. And you don't see this kind of thing in DC, Atlanta, or Dallas...

Last edited by a moderator:

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So.. Ya.. Bit of a doozy tonight. Anybody just wanna suspend Emery for a couple months, fire holmgren and just kinda forget this one happened?

Cause I do... :pout:

sherbert1421

Dead Wings 2.0
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fighting prevents injuries - the biggest bullshit hypocrisy in sports today

Fighting in hockey has never prevented players from taking runs at star players or preventing injuries. It's by far the biggest myth in all of sports. Don cherry can take that theory and shove it as far as I'm concerned.

And for the record, I'm not against taking fighting out of the game completley. but tonight is an example of it going too far.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flyers need to use this to motivate them against the Devils. If the Caps can beat them 7-0 without Ovechkin then the Devils could present even more problems.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read this morning that Homer went in the Philly dressing room during the 2nd intermission so he could give the team heck for their lousy play. You know things are getting bad when the GM is reading the riot act to the team while a game is still underway.

DevilishWon

Don't ever play Lady of Spain again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1.Emery is a douche. 2.Philly is a shithole. Nothing new. It's so stupid though. 3, I'm glad that holtby didn't get hurt in that and 4. hope downie is okay. Justice that if someone had to get hurt, they were on the team looking to injure.

1. Couldn't agree more
2. Disagree, I like the city, It's the behavior of sports teams and fans that have earned shitty label
3. Agree big time
4. Disagree, downie is almost as big a douche as emery. Serves him right

PhillyPhaithful48

Pickles will Prevail
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Emery is a douche. Philly is a shithole. Nothing new. It's so stupid though. I'm glad that holtby didn't get hurt in that and hope downie is okay. Justice that if someone had to get hurt, they were on the team looking to injure.

Screw off

You think any real hockey fans applauded Emery yesterday? You think the coaching staff told him to go down there? I really hope we cut him after that shit show. Totally classless.

Also calling out an entire city over this is completely hypocritical. Simmonds started it by bring aggressive with clean hits. Washington took offense. Fights ensued. It happens. Only thing wrong was Emery ONCE AGAIN forcing another goalie to fight. Biron didn't want to fight him years ago but he forced him to.

PhillyPhaithful48

Pickles will Prevail
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm not going to say Philly is a shithole because it isn't. What Emery did deserves a major suspension but I am not going to crush a very nice city for the acts of their hockey team.

Ok someone has sense.

Yes we true hockey fans in this city wouldn't mind a suspensions. But that wouldn't do too much since emery rides the bench anyway. I want him cut immediately for that embarrassment.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok someone has sense.

Yes we true hockey fans in this city wouldn't mind a suspensions. But that wouldn't do too much since emery rides the bench anyway. I want him cut immediately for that embarrassment.

Don't you think a better reaction to this debacle would be for Snider to fire Holmgren?

PhillyPhaithful48

Pickles will Prevail
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Don't you think a better reaction to this debacle would be for Snider to fire Holmgren?

Yes and no. If holmgren went in the locker room and ordered this, then absolutely.

I don't think Holmgren is responsible for piss poor play. This team was obviously unprepared for this season as well as last season. That is coaching.

If Holmgren wants to keep his job, he needs to find a real coach.

GM builds the team, coaches get them game ready. This team hasn't looked good in a long time. Eventually yes blame will fall on the GM. Perhaps he waited too long to pull the trigger on Lavy. Now he needs to decide if Berube is the way to go. If not, pull the trigger right away.

I still think we have good players. They just are not ready and they are not utilized properly.

DevilishWon

Don't ever play Lady of Spain again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes and no. If holmgren went in the locker room and ordered this, then absolutely.

I don't think Holmgren is responsible for piss poor play. This team was obviously unprepared for this season as well as last season. That is coaching.

If Holmgren wants to keep his job, he needs to find a real coach debacle.

GM builds the team, coaches get them game ready. This team hasn't looked good in a long time. Eventually yes blame will fall on the GM. Perhaps he waited too long to pull the trigger on Lavy. Now he needs to decide if Berube is the way to go. If not, pull the trigger right away.

I still think we have good players. They just are not ready and they are not utilized properly.

Aside from the obvious who hired Laviolette and Berube...

To say Laviolette is not a real coach is absurd. Pretty sure he's succeded at the highest level with a team that was in theory "less talented" than the Holmgren flyers.

I'm amazed how many philly fans seem to be willing give homer a pass on this.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last year the Flyers had the highest payroll in the NHL and finished with the 11th worst record.

This season the Flyers have the 7th highest payroll in the NHL and currently have the 2nd worst record in the NHL.

Makes no sense for the Flyers to keep him as their GM IMO.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The last few years Holmgren has subtracted: Carter, Richards, Bobrovsky, Versteeg and Van Riemsdyk.

3 of those guys have cups now. Another has a Vezina.

And he's replaced them with Jake Voracek, Luke Schenn, Ray Emery, Steve Mason and Shawn Couturier.

A coach can only do so much.

And besides that game would have been a lot closer had the Flyers not missed two field goals.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last few years Holmgren has subtracted: Carter, Richards, Bobrovsky, Versteeg and Van Riemsdyk.

3 of those guys have cups now. Another has a Vezina.

And he's replaced them with Jake Voracek, Luke Schenn, Ray Emery, Steve Mason and Shawn Couturier.

A coach can only do so much.

And besides that game would have been a lot closer had the Flyers not missed two field goals.

Allllllways blame the kicker, I see how it is.