• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wanting a New Gun Dog

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've only had him a couple of months. Unfortunately, my time is limited this time of year. It is dark by the time I get home so I am kind of limited to weekends and days off right now until the days get longer. The dog was well taken care of but unfortunately not any training. I am doing obedience training right now. On leash I've got him to sit on command and on whistle pretty well. He also knows the okay command now to get up from a seated position. My problem now is with him off the leash. He is not good at responding to whistle or heel command when off the leash at greater distances and I don't know the best way to deal with that yet. (You have any suggestions?). Gun intro I am going to start with a 22 starter gun. He is really good at retrieving bumpers and I have attached pheasant wings to the bumpers. I don't feel he is ready for a ecollar yet. This summer I would like to start him with live birds and hopefully get some of the basic obedience done.

I've never worked with an adult dog but with a pup it takes a lot of patience. It has to be fun to come to you and when you're competing with natural sights and smells, it's a tough contest. You MUST control your frustration and that's the challenge. Treats like dried chicken can work wonders. A few whistle blasts and a treat...rinse lather repeat...constantly.

Why do you doubt his e-collar readiness. If he's two, he should get the hang of it quickly. My pointer will go out of sight at times and I find the GPS collar to be a tremendous comfort. My Alpha GPS will also correct and vibrate. I never go into the field without it. The difference between treats and praise and thr discomfort of not complying can make the choice a lot clearer for him

A springer being a flushing dog, you'll need to keep him close. Has he been gun conditioned at all?

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never worked with an adult dog but with a pup it takes a lot of patience. It has to be fun to come to you and when you're competing with natural sights and smells, it's a tough contest. You MUST control your frustration and that's the challenge. Treats like dried chicken can work wonders. A few whistle blasts and a treat...rinse lather repeat...constantly.

Why do you doubt his e-collar readiness. If he's two, he should get the hang of it quickly. My pointer will go out of sight at times and I find the GPS collar to be a tremendous comfort. My Alpha GPS will also correct and vibrate. I never go into the field without it. The difference between treats and praise and thr discomfort of not complying can make the choice a lot clearer for him

A springer being a flushing dog, you'll need to keep him close. Has he been gun conditioned at all?
No gun conditioning at all. I was concerned about him being gun shy. I shot around him when I first got him at the house and it frightened him. But I think that had more to do with him being in a new place and not knowing me. I took him to the refuge by house a couple of weeks later and there was shooting around him nearby by people duck hunting and he wasn't bothered by it. I still want to take it slow. Before using collar I want to make sure the dog knows I am expecting from him. I've been told by a couple of people to wait a bit with Springer Spaniels. I know what you mean about the flushing dog. The pheasants we hunt here are wild and the refuges are large. The birds are big time runners here. That is why the whistle is so important. When my old lab tracked birds too far out, I would blow the whistle and he would sit until I caught up with him.

Neb4life

Eat more BEEF !!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,263.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JAKE.jpg This is Jake he is a dog I bought out of Erin Kennels. Great all around dog.

Neb4life

Eat more BEEF !!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,263.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Went Saturday hunted four hours, moved 11 coveys. Got our limits and broke out the cigars and Jameson.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Went Saturday hunted four hours, moved 11 coveys. Got our limits and broke out the cigars and Jameson.

Nice!

I may get out a last time or so....not too much left of stocked birds but this one farm we hunt seems to hold them late. Hell, if I'm gonna run the dog anyway, might as well have my trusty 16 strapped over the back.

Hey, if you've never tried John Powers, I find it just as smooth as Jameson but not as sweet~

Neb4life

Eat more BEEF !!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,263.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice!

I may get out a last time or so....not too much left of stocked birds but this one farm we hunt seems to hold them late. Hell, if I'm gonna run the dog anyway, might as well have my trusty 16 strapped over the back.

Hey, if you've never tried John Powers, I find it just as smooth as Jameson but not as sweet~
I will look into this John Powers you speak of.
Season ends here the 28th so I am going to go as much as I can. After that I am going to be building guzzlers ( catch the rain water and make it available to the Quail ) and put several in every pasture.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...oh and Jake's a beauty!

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will look into this John Powers you speak of.
Season ends here the 28th so I am going to go as much as I can. After that I am going to be building guzzlers ( catch the rain water and make it available to the Quail ) and put several in every pasture.
You guys have quite the bird season. Ours ended in the middle of January up here.

Neb4life

Eat more BEEF !!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,263.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys have quite the bird season. Ours ended in the middle of January up here.
It runs from the first weekend of November until the last weekend of February. Only thing we have left is Spring Turkey.

Neb4life

Eat more BEEF !!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,263.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
jake.JPG @mrwallace2ku pic of one of my dogs. Grass like this on most of my place. I will post some more pics later.

Neb4life

Eat more BEEF !!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,263.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last hunt on Monday last week, 18 coveys. Had a trainer bring some dogs for me to look at. Yes I have an addiction to Pointers.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Picked up Gus (my black lab pup) today from the trainer. He has been there since October and is 11 months old now. He is looking pretty good, so far. He will require some work in the water this spring and summer, as he is not as excited about the water as some. I hope to get him going full bore by July and then I will send him back for a tune-up and refresher course in August. I expect him to very solid for dove hunts by labor day and then ready for duck season in the fall.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sweet!

Can't wait to see him with a brace of greenheads~

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Picked up Gus (my black lab pup) today from the trainer. He has been there since October and is 11 months old now. He is looking pretty good, so far. He will require some work in the water this spring and summer, as he is not as excited about the water as some. I hope to get him going full bore by July and then I will send him back for a tune-up and refresher course in August. I expect him to very solid for dove hunts by labor day and then ready for duck season in the fall.

@Bmurph , Jet is running his first senior hunt test this weekend.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How did your year end up ? Did you hunt over by Canadian any ?

It was a great year. Best in a long time. I hunted by Canadian 4 days. Had great days all but once.

Neb4life

Eat more BEEF !!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,263.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a great year. Best in a long time. I hunted by Canadian 4 days. Had great days all but once.
Glad it was a good one. I am ready for next year to get here.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
f686c01b-8ac9-4dd5-bb55-a91963cb2c8c_zpsf16lv8d4.jpg