• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

VT Defense - 2005 vs. 2012

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really think this could be a special year for our defense. I am sure others that know me from the ESPN board days remember that I prefer to use our 2005 D as a true benchmark for how solid we are on that side of the ball.With that being said, do you feel this year's defense has the potential to be better than the 2005 D of old? Maybe someone could break down the various areas for both and grade them in their comparison.

What you are grading against...

Last edited by a moderator:

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't remember specifics about that team but as far as this year I think how special the defense will be is going to depend on injuries. It would not help the front 4. There are 8-9 quality guys that can rotate there and no more than that. The back 7 cannot afford a hit especially the secondary. The only backup LBs I trust are Tyler and Tweedy. I think RVD will be the starter and Gouvea-Winslow won't even get much time on the field

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol :47

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't remember specifics about that team but as far as this year I think how special the defense will be is going to depend on injuries. It would not help the front 4. There are 8-9 quality guys that can rotate there and no more than that. The back 7 cannot afford a hit especially the secondary. The only backup LBs I trust are Tyler and Tweedy. I think RVD will be the starter and Gouvea-Winslow won't even get much time on the field

Any unit is going to depend on injuries though. But I think that this defense is so deep that it won't matter unless several guys go down. The secondary is the thinnest unit we have, so injuries to any of the starting 4 is going to be problematic. But at LB, Taylor, Tyler, Williams, GW, Tweedy, RVD, and Edwards are all capable of starting. With the starters out for the spring, alot of guys stepped up and looked good. We'll see if it translates in a game, but I feel confident in the LB. Same goes with DL. The depth is insanely good.

Chrish1023

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My favorite hit was the one Marcus Vick laid on Elvis Dumervil! Jokesss. That video was hilarious, though. Reminds me of the Saints whooping Brett Favre in the NFC championship a few years ago.

If James Gayle is as nasty as people are expecting, Fuller plays like he did last year, and our injured players return to their previous form, I think the sky is the limit for this defense.

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Any unit is going to depend on injuries though. But I think that this defense is so deep that it won't matter unless several guys go down. The secondary is the thinnest unit we have, so injuries to any of the starting 4 is going to be problematic. But at LB, Taylor, Tyler, Williams, GW, Tweedy, RVD, and Edwards are all capable of starting. With the starters out for the spring, alot of guys stepped up and looked good. We'll see if it translates in a game, but I feel confident in the LB. Same goes with DL. The depth is insanely good.

I guess you like GW and Williams better than I do. Williams at least has potential he's just not done it on the field yet. GW is hopeless

ImAHokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

lol I sure hope you meant it wouldn't hurt the DL. VT has never been this deep and talented up front, the ability to rotate so many is a luxury never afforded on this program.

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Oh it would hurt just not much. It's a strong 2 deep not 3 deep

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
outside of just a few programs, a strong 2 deep from bookend to bookend is all anyone can hope for. it may be artificial depth in a few spots, but we're strong ENOUGH at the 3-deep .. and LBs are plenty deep enough if they can stay healthy. The secondary is who I worry about.

Speaking of which -- Farrow is a Minnesota boy and he transfers from VT to go to San Diego (not San Diego St mind you). I know this is old news but what was the real story behind his leaving?

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess you like GW and Williams better than I do. Williams at least has potential he's just not done it on the field yet. GW is hopeless

JGW looked a lot better in 2011 than he did in 2010. He certainly wasn't all-world, but "hopeless" is just harsh. You have to figure he has the leg up to start, actually. Tweedy may win the job. RVD may be a situational starter in 2012, but otherwise will not start until next year barring injuries or regression of the guys ahead of him.

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arguing over which of these defenses is the better one is like arguing over which is the better tigolebitty on Scarlet Johansson.

"I like the left one"
Well I like the right one"

Let's just agree they're both great and we're just blessed to be able to see them in action.

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well this is summertime. Topics tend to get a little light at this time.

But man you were testy yesterday. You didn't see me raining on your Cinc / VT party of the year thread! That's like saying let's get excited about hosting a social event with Phi Mu at VT circa 2000ish. No dice.