• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Virginia Tech 2013 Recruiting Target List

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I really hope we go after Cardon Johnson (Warwick HS, Newport News, VA). He transferred to Warwick last year I believe from Menchville. I plan on going to see him play (prob. try to get to the Warwick vs Hampton game) but he has been in the paper and on the news a lot here. He seems a little under the radar but I think he is going to have a big year this year and will be a good steal, hopefully VT is on the radar early with him

Here is a small blurb on him from recruit757.com from last year (His sophomore season)

Team/School: Warwick
Position: RB
Class: 2013
Height: 5-8
Weight: 170

Cardon Johnson is a sophomore transfer from Menchville who exploded onto the scene in his first varsity game where he rushed for 168 yards and two touchdowns against his old school. There are more performances like this in his future. Johnson has lots of time to grow and develop, and he'll have lots of opportunities in Coach Juan Jackson's "run first" offense. Johnson also doubles as a cornerback for the Warwick defense. Johnson was selected as a Second Team All-Peninsula District running back in 2010 (his sophomore season).

Last edited by a moderator:

HokieStone

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Went last night to watch Ryan Switzer play for GW in Charleston , WV....Not much talent comes out of WV but this is kid is legit! 5'8" 165 but the kid is an ideal scat back with top end speed!

kickermom27

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
on that 45 yarder it looks like he got a little excited as his approach looked off. he probably could have cleared it by even more if he was kicking them like he was in practice!

Yes, that was last year and his very first year of ever playing football. He has played soccer most of his life. He only had 7 games under his belt at that time. He has worked all summer with Dickie Van Dyke - ST coach from Phoebus and Todd Covington NCS intructor. He has improved a lot and just kicked a 50 yard field goal Monday night against Denbigh. Menchville won 16 to 12! His team has not had a winning record to start the season since 2002 so this was a great night. That 50 yard field goal tied a record for the PD from 1998. The all time record is 52 yards back in 1972. Given the opportunity I feel sure Dillon will break that record. He attempted a 53 yarder in the same game, but pulled it just to the right but had plenty of distance. His kickoffs go in the endzone or past it and he has been working hard on his punting. I have seen him kick a 67 yard field goal in practice. The funny thing about the 53 yarder was there was a flag on the play against menchville. Instead of backing us up and letting Dillon try a 58, denbigh elected to take the ball on the 20. I think they knew he might make it, based on the distance of the previous attempt.

I am very excited but cautious to say that VA Tech has shown interest in him. We are very new to the recruiting process and need to be careful of what we do. I need to read a lot more to find out what we are allowed to do or say.

Thanks to all of you who provided contact information. Fortunately, they came to us first!!

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yes, that was last year and his very first year of ever playing football. He has played soccer most of his life. He only had 7 games under his belt at that time. He has worked all summer with Dickie Van Dyke - ST coach from Phoebus and Todd Covington NCS intructor. He has improved a lot and just kicked a 50 yard field goal Monday night against Denbigh. Menchville won 16 to 12! His team has not had a winning record to start the season since 2002 so this was a great night. That 50 yard field goal tied a record for the PD from 1998. The all time record is 52 yards back in 1972. Given the opportunity I feel sure Dillon will break that record. He attempted a 53 yarder in the same game, but pulled it just to the right but had plenty of distance. His kickoffs go in the endzone or past it and he has been working hard on his punting. I have seen him kick a 67 yard field goal in practice. The funny thing about the 53 yarder was there was a flag on the play against menchville. Instead of backing us up and letting Dillon try a 58, denbigh elected to take the ball on the 20. I think they knew he might make it, based on the distance of the previous attempt.

I am very excited but cautious to say that VA Tech has shown interest in him. We are very new to the recruiting process and need to be careful of what we do. I need to read a lot more to find out what we are allowed to do or say.

Thanks to all of you who provided contact information. Fortunately, they came to us first!!
Does your son play soccer in the area? Just wondering if I know him, I am a coach for NNFC and some of the players I train go to MHS

kickermom27

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Does your son play soccer in the area? Just wondering if I know him, I am a coach for NNFC and some of the players I train go to MHS

YES! He plays U17 NNFC Predators and will play Menchville Varsity this year. He played JV last year and they were undefeated and he scored I believe 17 goals all season. He also won the MVP for the Christine Garvey Tournament. Small World!

kickermom27

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

kickermom27

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
THANK YOU!

Wow I just read that: So many rules and it references the bylaws a lot - a much bigger document. It's hard to know how to interpret some of it. Oh well I feel sure VA TECH has it's act together and would not be doing anything they should not be doing. However, I will continue to read and educate myself and my son. We certainly do not want to blow any chance he has at going to VA TECH.

Thanks again!

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Wow I just read that: So many rules and it references the bylaws a lot - a much bigger document. It's hard to know how to interpret some of it. Oh well I feel sure VA TECH has it's act together and would not be doing anything they should not be doing. However, I will continue to read and educate myself and my son. We certainly do not want to blow any chance he has at going to VA TECH.

Thanks again!
It is a large document. When I was being recruited to play soccer in college my HS had a person on staff that was there to ensure that no recruiting rules were broken. Check to see if MHS has a person on staff that is designated help with recruitment.

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NNFC? Is that what came when Bay Rivers folded? I was on Bay Rivers back in the day as well as the Newport News Aztecs (mid-late 90s).

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
NNFC? Is that what came when Bay Rivers folded? I was on Bay Rivers back in the day as well as the Newport News Aztecs (mid-late 90s).
Not sure, I know there is a Baystars that we play against but I think they might be Yorktown. NNFC has been around for a while but I have only been with the program for 2 years so I don't know about the origin.

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
What is up with Derrick Greene - Hermitage HS RB 2013

"Right now, my top five are Ohio State, Penn State, Purdue, Virginia
and Wisconsin."

hokie43

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Don't think we were really in it to begin with. Maybe after some time Shane can work his magic.

kickermom27

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Not sure, I know there is a Baystars that we play against but I think they might be Yorktown. NNFC has been around for a while but I have only been with the program for 2 years so I don't know about the origin.

I know Dillon has been at NNFC since he was 9 (developmental team) and he is 16 now. I think NNFC had only been around a year or two before that, if that helps. I think BayStars is a Gloucester team, but I could be mistaken.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

i used to play against the NN Aztecs i think...i played for the Chesapeake Blast for a while, then Chesapeake Storm i think we were called (bad that i dont even remember my own team name lol)

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know Dillon has been at NNFC since he was 9 (developmental team) and he is 16 now. I think NNFC had only been around a year or two before that, if that helps. I think BayStars is a Gloucester team, but I could be mistaken.

Yea BayStars was a Gloucester team. Bay Rivers was a select club that covered the entire Peninsula (Hampton, NN, York County, Poquoson). I think it dissolved probably around 04. Anyways I digress....

Keep us posted on any info your son gets from VT! We will need a Kicker in his class FYI!

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i used to play against the NN Aztecs i think...i played for the Chesapeake Blast for a while, then Chesapeake Storm i think we were called (bad that i dont even remember my own team name lol)

I broke my leg playing against the Chesapeake Blast when I played for the Aztecs. Slide tackled the goalie and he fell on it snapping it in 2. It was at the fields by the skate park if you know where im talking about.