• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Vikings released Dalvin Cook

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
June 1st cuts arent based on the date anymore. It's a designation not a date. They dont have to spread the cap hit into next year if they choose not to.
I thought you could designate forward, but not backwards? Either way, was making a joke. Apparently not a good one

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought you could designate forward, but not backwards? Either way, was making a joke. Apparently not a good one
The June 1 rules automatically kick in whenever the designated date is reached. Teams can account for cap hits early but once accounted for it can't be undone, (looks sideways at what happened with Rodgers). There's no problem with accounting for dead money early after the season when there's no advantage to carrying forward both cap space and dead money, but there's no benefit to accounting for it in preseason. Why repay an interest free loan 1 year early?

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Posted this in the FA thread but will put here as well:

Such a mistake.

The type of cash and cap savings they are seeing from releasing him isn't worth the major drop in production in both rushing and passing game that we will see with him not there.

It's my biggest beef with the RB's don't matter GM's. They just dont realize how much harder it is to pass the football when the defense literally doesnt worry about stopping the run.

Only way this makes any sense is if they make him a post June 1st cut and use the cap space to bring in someone else of value elsewhere (signing a FA DL or CB or something to that effect) and they get one of the young guys to really step up.

For all the fantasy players out there, make grabbing Ty Chandler later in the draft a possibility. No way 3.8 ypc Mattison holds down the starting job for very long.

I'll agree, but the mistake ultimately was thinking Mattison is a starting back. He's a decent backup that can flash for one or two games off the bench, but he won't be successful as a full-time starter.

If the Dolphins had an offer on the table and it was anything. Even a 5th or 6th, and the Vikings didn't take it, that was the biggest overplayed hand for a RB with a 14 million dollar cap hit.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll agree, but the mistake ultimately was thinking Mattison is a starting back. He's a decent backup that can flash for one or two games off the bench, but he won't be successful as a full-time starter.

If the Dolphins had an offer on the table and it was anything. Even a 5th or 6th, and the Vikings didn't take it, that was the biggest overplayed hand for a RB with a 14 million dollar cap hit.
I think a trade would have meant a bigger cap hit for the Vikings though. Maybe they can sign a guy like Kareem Hunt for 1/3 or 1/2 of this money and use the rest of the cap savings on a defensive player? Just thinking out loud.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kind of silly all the games they played with Dalvin and Zadarius for almost nothing in return. They wont get top ratings form players and agents again if they continue these games.

And yeah I agree on Mattison. But I do have to say that I really like both Chandler and McBride who the Vikes have taken late in the draft. That is a good way to construct a roster.

But I just dont think we were at THAT point quite yet where I believe he should be cutting Cook and getting out from under a Spielman contract. One more year wasnt going to kill them. And it would give us a little more time to figure out if Chandler and McBride actually are capable of stepping up.

.....my big hope here with this move is that it really is being done just to bring in another player. If there are no big free agent signings for them to do between now and the season, this was a mistake. It wasn't enough cap space to justify the move. Maybe a guy like Marcus Peters or Shelby Harris are still in play for them. Crazy how many guys who can help this team are still on the FA market.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So there are still people dying on the "RBs are worth big contracts" hill, huh. Good for message boards I guess.

I kind of feel bad for guys like Cook who are warriors and sacrifice their bodies and then get tossed out like garbage by teams. But it's a business, and the numbers on declining RB performance after a certain number of carries are fairly conclusive in my view. Cook may be good for a little longer, but not that much longer, before he drops off, just like Zeke and many others before him.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So there are still people dying on the "RBs are worth big contracts" hill, huh. Good for message boards I guess.

I kind of feel bad for guys like Cook who are warriors and sacrifice their bodies and then get tossed out like garbage by teams. But it's a business, and the numbers on declining RB performance after a certain number of carries are fairly conclusive in my view. Cook may be good for a little longer, but not that much longer, before he drops off, just like Zeke and many others before him.
Zeke is another one. They paid him massively. But not twice.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They only paid him once, but they made massive investments in him twice, because they used a top 10 draft pick on a running back.

That's like a basic math failure when you assess the length of a RB career and their return on your draft pick investment compared to, say, a left tackle or a defensive end.

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of silly all the games they played with Dalvin and Zadarius for almost nothing in return. They wont get top ratings form players and agents again if they continue these games.

And yeah I agree on Mattison. But I do have to say that I really like both Chandler and McBride who the Vikes have taken late in the draft. That is a good way to construct a roster.

But I just dont think we were at THAT point quite yet where I believe he should be cutting Cook and getting out from under a Spielman contract. One more year wasnt going to kill them. And it would give us a little more time to figure out if Chandler and McBride actually are capable of stepping up.

.....my big hope here with this move is that it really is being done just to bring in another player. If there are no big free agent signings for them to do between now and the season, this was a mistake. It wasn't enough cap space to justify the move. Maybe a guy like Marcus Peters or Shelby Harris are still in play for them. Crazy how many guys who can help this team are still on the FA market.

Could this be a front-load situation for either JJ or Hockinson contract extensions? I admit I don't know a lot about how the cap works, but could we take on some more early in their contracts so we're not paying out the ass on the middle to back end?

Not that it will matter with JJ, because he's going to be the highest paid Non-QB and he absolutely deserves to be.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless his contract was ridiculous, I don't see what the point of this move is. He's a solid RB that gives you run and pass threat...and I don't think they have anybody behind him that's going to light it up...can somebody explain the logic here...maybe something going on behind the curtain???

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Poor little millionaires.....

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone please explain how a rookie contract isn't a contract? Did Razon return to the hoop?

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone please explain how a rookie contract isn't a contract? Did Razon return to the hoop?
It's a slotted small money contract compared to the real contracts that they are allowed to actually negotiate for. Now you know.