• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Vic Fangio Appreciation Thread

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What’s to appreciate? The 1-23 record when trailing at halftime? The abysmal division record? The complete and utter dysfunction that was an “attempt” to develop Lock?

Good defensive mind, not meant to be in charge. So long Vic. I’m sure there’s a DC job out there that’s very well suited for you.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well - I liked Fangio most of his tenure. He had an inability to make coaching adjustments at OC and STs when everyone could see they were not producing.

He must have approved of the offense the Broncos were using - or he was bullied by Schumur - I don't know. ;)

He was detriment to Lock's development. Lock had one of his best games against KC last night. It was actual really cool to see Teddy and Drew talking it up on the Bench most of the game.

The defense has been very good, but it seems to curiously give up TDs when the opposition needs the points or the time off the clock.

He spent most of the season running a top three D with replacements for the replacements at ILB. Which is amazing.

Yeah - I'd get the autograph and talk happy talk to him if I ran into him.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i liked Vic. he seemed to be the black cloud character from Peanuts. just when thinks look good someone happens.

His D was good but not crunch time good. i can’t remember a critical stop when one was needed

He’s a life time NFL coach without the mental ability to process the necessary decisions needed .

this has a lot to do with John Elway’s business decisions which since 2016 was terrible

would have a spaghetti dinner with Vic but not a burger

Mountain Bronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for three straight losing seasons and impossibly frustrating viewing. He never got better as a head coach.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elway went south as a pro football administrator about the time he married the former Raider Cheerleader. I don't know if the new wife caused it, but it would make a good conspiracy theory.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i liked Vic. he seemed to be the black cloud character from Peanuts. just when thinks look good someone happens.

His D was good but not crunch time good. i can’t remember a critical stop when one was needed

He’s a life time NFL coach without the mental ability to process the necessary decisions needed .

this has a lot to do with John Elway’s business decisions which since 2016 was terrible

would have a spaghetti dinner with Vic but not a burger

Shelby Harris INT in the End Zone to win the game vs Steelers. I think that was Vic's first year? Or no? Could be wrong. But great post here. He also had the Chargers game his first year where Alexander Johnson had the INT in the EZ to win the game in the crunch. That I know was Fangio's first year. Shelby may have been the year before Vic. But either way for the most part I get your point.....

I am pretty nervous with what is going to happen to the defense without Fangio but the offense has been so bad that you almost have to make this move without caring about that part of the equation. I will always wonder what Fangio could do here with a good QB. Overall, I feel like Elway failed Fangio here like you mentioned. I like how players fought for Fangio until the end but at the same time that can't always keep a coach around. We need to find someone who makes the adjustments and players fight for.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there is a lot to appreciate what Vic did in his time here. When he was hired the roster was a mess, and beaten down. Vic helped build a foundation to a roster that seems to be on an upward trajectory.

I think Vic's biggest issue was trying to find an OC to just take care of the offense, and was loyal to his assistants. I have to wonder if the mismanagement of the Lock has more to do with Shurmur then Vic.

If Vic was not our Head Coach, we may not have Paton our GM.

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cowboy game was his pinnacle and I was excited at that point. It quickly went south from there.

Likeable guy, but as a HC he seemed to be in way over his head. Shurmer didn’t do him any favors either. Makes me wonder where the offense would be if he had stuck with Scangarillo.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cowboy game was his pinnacle and I was excited at that point. It quickly went south from there.

Likeable guy, but as a HC he seemed to be in way over his head. Shurmer didn’t do him any favors either. Makes me wonder where the offense would be if he had stuck with Scangarillo.
I don't know if there was any truth to it, but Albright has said there were issues between Scangarello and Vic. If that wasn't a fit, then best to move on. You don't need in fighting within the coaching staff.

listopencil

I've Seen Better Days
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if there was any truth to it, but Albright has said there were issues between Scangarello and Vic. If that wasn't a fit, then best to move on. You don't need in fighting within the coaching staff.

Well...Shurmur sucks. I mean the guy was horrible. Keeping Bridgewater out there after he got his head kicked in. just recently putting Sutton in at TE in a three point stance against the Raiders, having Lock run a QB sneak and go out for a Red Zone reception when his throwing shoulder was so bad that it had been numbed, finally giving up(?) the idea of Jeudy running ballet performance inspired sprints behind the LOS every play before the snap...I grew to hate him. Fangio was the reason we got stuck with Shurmur.

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m not saying he was the answer or that he shouldn‘t have been let go, but there are always “issues” between coaches and sometimes they just need to be worked out. I have no idea what issues they may have had, but i can say for certain that our starting QB was completely different under each of those OCs.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there is a lot to appreciate what Vic did in his time here. When he was hired the roster was a mess, and beaten down. Vic helped build a foundation to a roster that seems to be on an upward trajectory.

I think Vic's biggest issue was trying to find an OC to just take care of the offense, and was loyal to his assistants. I have to wonder if the mismanagement of the Lock has more to do with Shurmur then Vic.

If Vic was not our Head Coach, we may not have Paton our GM.

Well said. Good post.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well...Shurmur sucks. I mean the guy was horrible. Keeping Bridgewater out there after he got his head kicked in. just recently putting Sutton in at TE in a three point stance against the Raiders, having Lock run a QB sneak and go out for a Red Zone reception when his throwing shoulder was so bad that it had been numbed, finally giving up(?) the idea of Jeudy running ballet performance inspired sprints behind the LOS every play before the snap...I grew to hate him. Fangio was the reason we got stuck with Shurmur.

Shurmur was a huge flop here no doubt about that.. One of my least favorite Shurmur moments was when he called a 4th and G reverse pass to Drew Lock... A play I would have no problem with the other 3 downs but just an awful 4th down call down by a lot and expecting a lot to go right for that play to happen.

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it goes without saying that letting Scangarello go and hiring Shurmur was all Vic ... I think it was a matter of opportunity for Vic, with Shurmur becoming available after his ( miserable ) stint with the Giants, and Vic seizing the opportunity .. This was the move that caused the entire house of cards to fall ..

The Broncos had something brewing on offense .. Lock was 4-1 as a starter, the offense was packed with young talent - Fant, Sutton, Risner, Lindsay, then Jeudy and Hamler coming in .... With Lock, that was a fantastic young offense - which I think worried Fangio to the point of wanting a crusty standby like Shurmur to come in and reign in the firepower ..

We'll never know how much the situation with Covid and no training camp, no preseason games, no reps with rookies Jeudy and Hamler - how much that affected Lock, and his ability to become comfortable the new Shurmur offense ..

Going back to his days at Mizzou, Lock would be learning his 5th offense in 6 years

I feel that the combination of Shurmur and Covid killed what could have been a great, young offense