• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Veterans with job security issues!

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You had me all the way up til Dur....

I can aslo see them possibly rolling with 2 QB's and maybe that Mizzou kid on PS.

I am not advocating keeping Durham, but there is a decent chance he keeps his job. Especially if Stafford wants him there.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's to the point the final WR spot will be an important position that gets playing time.

I wonder how it goes if it comes down to Broyles and Durham?

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand wanting to keep TJ Jones but cutting Ross for him would be moronic. Ross has already proven to be a very studly returner and replacing him with an unproven rookie would be foolish. Ross is only in his 3rd year too. It's not like he's old or anything. To be honest, I would rather keep him over Broyles as well. No telling if Broyles will ever be as explosive as he was in college.

I think jones was a steal, hes not going anywhere...

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ross is in a fight and the fact he can return kickoffs s definitely in his favor.

If Broyles returns to form and looks good then TJ Jones may have problems holding onto the possession slot receiver spot. I can't see Jones slipping through waivers but it's possible plus I see the Lions using injured reserve to hide a guy like they did with Williams last year.

I would hate to see the Lions give up on Fauria but I definitely see the TE position as competitive. I only see three TEs on the roster if they use a FB and every things indicates they will.

Fauria will be the third tight end. That kind of productivity in the red zone will not be replaced.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ross has one good game in four inches of snow and that secures him a roster spot when it appears he will likely offer very little to the offense? Not sure I think that will be the case. If he isn't very effective in camp and the preseason games I think he is gone.

I expect the Lions to pick up a veteran DT that gets released and clears waivers so he can come in on the cheap with a one year deal and the MSB cap benefit. In fact, I expect a couple of those. That means Fluellen goes. He goes twice a year ever year anyway after being cut and resigned, cut and resigned.

I agree, ross is expendable.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had a couple more nice returns the next game as well. You can see he is very explosive. Not sure why he isn't given more of a chance to run some routes and catch passes.

As another poster said..if ross was useful at all as WR he would have been out there last season with how badly anyone not named CJ was.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This a good thread. It will be interesting come August for sure. Fauria had great games in red zone, nothing special outside of it. Ross opened eyes in return game but nothing else. have some CB's that either step up or step out.

UDFA OL could push our current backups out the door. Funny how last 2 years it seems good UDFA signings.:noidea: Just may be that guy added in the office.

We as fans have very few clues what direction this staff wants to go. The final 53 will sure be interesting.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fauria as an UDFA was a steal. I wonder where he goes if they did a redraft? But with limited spots I think nothing will be taken for granted. Williams is a blocking TE and that may be a hard cut to make as Fauria, Ebron, and Pettigrew are not seen as much for their blocking as their receiving.

Williams is still eligible for the practice squad and I think he would make it through waivers. Fauria not a chance.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think jones was a steal, hes not going anywhere...

Hard to say GVSU. Corey Fuller was an intriguing prospect as well last year and he couldn't even see the field. However it was with an idiot head coach who had a raging boner for mediocre veterans.

Should be a good competition between Fuller, Broyles and Jones for one of the last roster spots. I would take any of those three over Durham however.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As another poster said..if ross was useful at all as WR he would have been out there last season with how badly anyone not named CJ was.

Remember the coach though. Dude played big time favorites and loved mediocre veterans. Remember Stephen Peterman? Dude played probably worse than any O-lineman I have ever seen, EVER and got to start every single game and never got benched. We had Riley Reiff riding the pine/ playing 6th O-lineman.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if it was favorites or just clueless?

When the Lions fell out of contention 2 seasons ago Schwartz refused to play the young guys which was just dumb but I digress.

Williams getting moved to tackle helps Fauria and hurts Hilliard. It also helps the #4-5 WR as Detroit can stick with 3 TEs.

I think the coaches like Williams and will do everything possible to help him make the club. But he can go to the practice squad. As a TE and at his size 270 lbs I wonder if he could be a guard? Someone that pulls and leads plays around end. With Sims in his last year it would be worth considering IMO.

I think the Lions may find a waived player or two to help fill some areas and that will make things even tougher for the #5 WR.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember the coach though. Dude played big time favorites and loved mediocre veterans. Remember Stephen Peterman? Dude played probably worse than any O-lineman I have ever seen, EVER and got to start every single game and never got benched. We had Riley Reiff riding the pine/ playing 6th O-lineman.

Thats true, i almost forgot how arrogant he is.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any news of the Suh restructering his contract? I heard they can't sign Ebron on Van Noy until some contract space opens up.

I am curious to see if Chase Daniels becomes available in New Orleans. I would think he would be an upgrade over Orvlosky. The whole backup QB depth chart is so uninspiring. IMO all three QBs fighting for a roster spot are on thin ice if someone with talent gets cut.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JD, I just wait for Meow to respond to this. Mine will be less harsh and his will be more accurate.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep seeing Riddick's name mentioned as impressing coaches and being more involved in the offense. I already believe LeShoure is only on the team at this point for preseason reps and insurance.

IMO a practice squad RB is cheaper and more likely to have an impact than LeShoure at this point.

Interesting side note in Free Press article is Riddick is getting reps on special teams. Is he the fall back kick returner iic the Lions part ways with Ross?