• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Justin Fuente to Virginia Tech looks like a done deal....

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forde-Yard Dash: Coaching carousel edition

Forde "betting the mortgage" on it. Other "sources" seem to be trending the same way. Tom Herman seems to be still on the radar too. I would be very happy with either of these guys. As the article stated, another opening (LSU, UGA, Texas, FSU) could potentially throw this upside down. Expecting an announcement early next week. If so, hats off to our stud AD Whit Bigcock for making it happen before it gets really crazy...

There has been a lot lot of smoke surrounding various candidates since Beams announced his departure after this season. Word is there is a pretty decent chance Bud Foster and his defensive staff stay in Blacksburg depending on who "the guy" is.

If that happens, VT be at the of the Coastal again in a short amount of time. I hope Puke and UNcheat enjoyed their couple years of success while we were down..

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Word is there is a pretty decent chance Bud Foster and his defensive staff stay in Blacksburg depending on who "the guy" is.

I just don't see how a new coach is going to come in and want the remnants of the old staff.
In fact I would see that as the new coach not having enough control and the school not willing to give it up.
Which would be bad.

Fuente has his own defensive people.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't see how a new coach is going to come in and want the remnants of the old staff.
In fact I would see that as the new coach not having enough control and the school not willing to give it up.
Which would be bad.

Fuente has his own defensive people.

Fuente & his people to VT, Smart to USCe & Foster to Bama as DC.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
In your dreams maybe. Bud will probably stay and get another pay bump but if he doesn't, he won't end up at Bama

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuente & his people to VT, Smart to USCe & Foster to Bama as DC.

You're dreaming...Joey Freshwater will become the DC at Bama but will take a pay cut

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuentes is my favorite up and coming coach. I hope he kills it. Great hire

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck va te h....bud foster deserves better. That guy hung around for years to be next in line and now they are going to fuck him. I hope he sprints out the door to another job......

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont know why a hotshot young coaching candidate would not at least wait to see what happens at USC, LSU, and maybe even Texas.

Va Tech seems like settling early.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont know why a hotshot young coaching candidate would not at least wait to see what happens at USC, LSU, and maybe even Texas.

I think he is deemed as a second tier guy. I really can't understand why though. His resume is far superior than someone like Herman

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bud might bolt for a HC gig at an above average school. He reportedly has had opportunities in the MAC and such but why go there when you have it made? He has interviewed for other higher profile HC jobs only to be passed over. Make no mistake about it, if Foster leaves (and he might) VT fans would be very disappointed, but happy for him. He has been more of a reason for VTs success than Beamer. I personally would be OK with Bud getting a shot. My heart tells me has earned it. But most of the VT faithful has been clamoring for a new head man... New blood in the program to light a fire under some asses. Someone who can sell the program and bring a new philosophy, like a shiny new car. The staff has gotten way too comfortable and complacent, many of them would even explain considered "untouchable" under Beamer. That has reportedly been evident on the recruiting trail where the program has taken a nose dive the last several years. There has no accountability for poor results under Beamer and some think this attitude would just carry over with Foster.

Wouldnt surprise me if Bud's ass is chapped over this and left for another gig. I wouldn't blame him and would wish him much luck. But it also wouldn't surprise me if he stuck around and got another fat pay raise and helped build the program where it should still be and maybe beyond that. He loves the area and seems to be quite comfortable with where he is at and what he is doing. I just don't see him running off for any job.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LSU hires Tom Herman as HC and Bud Foster as DC? One can dream right. LSU will probably get a big pile of crap.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

VT is very appealing.

At VT you have facilities, established program, good facilities, good recruiting, a current talented young roster, oh and you play in a weaker conference. Also, although VT is good, they haven't won the big one yet, so you can become a God there if you get the Hokies back to where they were later 90's early 00's.

The other jobs you mentioned, USC, expectations to win immediately, uncertainty at the AD position, so who knows if the guy who hires you is going to be there much longer.

LSU...No thanks. This would be a nightmare for any coach to take. They would have just let go of a guy who consistently wont 10+ games, and his only problem is Alabama. That is going to be anyones problem until Saban leaves.

Texas. This might be a good choice, but got the mega billionaire boosters you have to please. Seems far too good ol boy club for me.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he is deemed as a second tier guy. I really can't understand why though. His resume is far superior than someone like Herman
It's a solid hire especially when the pool of good coaches is very shallow. I like this hire much better than a Rich Rod or Jimbo to LSU.

I agree with you on Herman it's way too early to anoint him the next best thing.

I think another compelling option out there is Dino Babers at Bowling Green and think Mizzou should take a hard look at him.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Houston wasn't bare boned when he took over. It's not like what he is doing in Houston is some magical thing. Sure it is impressive, but its not unthinkable.

Fuente on the other hand....dude inherited a terrible football program and has steadily built it into a respectable one.

Unlike some other hot named upcoming coaches who will go to these bad schools and have a flash in the pan great year, and then bolt to another big name school and fail. Fuente has steadily gotten better each year at Memphis.