• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: UW @ Stanford

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UW @ Stanford
7pm pacific
ESPN

The battle of two 4-0 teams. Both ranked and both with big expectations. The pressure is probably much higher on Stanford as they are a top 5 team at home with more BSC aspirations than what UW should realistically be expected to obtain. The weather is expected to be clear and warm with little to no winds.

UW hasn't had a test this big, but have had more tests than Stanford to this point. UW had big wins over Boise State, Illinois, and Arizona, but none of those are on this level. Stanford totally dominated ASU, but their other games haven't had any type of challenge.

UW has won on a balance of much improved passing and the relentless rushing of the nations top RB coming into this week. Price has had time and the new uptempo offense has gone much better than anticipated. UW's defense is among the national leaders in scoring and several other categories as well, but Hogan will be the best QB they have seen thus far.

Forget about everything you thought you knew about Stanford's game. Instead of their dominating power I running game they are now running a much more high flying spread passing attack that has their QB dropping back into more shotgun formations. Against ASU they burned the devils with 6 deep passes and it was the deep pass that put WSU in the early hole last week. You can no longer look at just stuffing the box with your jumbo package and key on the run. Doing so is a guaranteed big play waiting to happen. The only good news is they still run the Power I as well as the shotgun spread so you have a chance to change your personnel to match their sets. So far UW has done a very good job of playing their version of the prevent defense where they allow teams to get their 3-5 yard plays in an effort to prevent any home runs. Against Arizona they only allowed two plays longer than 13 yards and one was a bad play call by Wilcox and the other was a blown assignment on a wheel route to Carey. They did also allow a long pass in the Illinois game that happened on a blown coverage. So can UW keep up this type of defense and take away the long bombs that Hogan has used to kill other teams so far? Or will this offense be so much ahead of what they have faced that we see it exposed?

On defense Stanford has the best front 7 UW will have faced thus far, and probably the best they will see all year. They run a lot of x stunts in passing situations and have created all sorts of problems for the teams they have faced to this point. UW does have the most experienced line they have had in a very long time, but the blocking of the backs and TE's and Price's ability to move out of the pocket and still make smart plays will be a huge key to winning this game. Sankey will probably still get his yards, but Stanford's defense is built around pressure and creating turnovers and that will be the story of this offense. Can Price deal with that pressure and not turn it over. They have a couple of just sick cover guys that love to go for the ball including one that has feasted on picks going to screens. This game will be entirely on Price's shoulders and the blocking.

On paper at a neutral site you might go either way. As impressive as their win was against ASU Stanford really hasn't been pushed by a defense that plays well in the secondary and UW will give them the biggest test so far. UW's new offense has done really well in the second half of every game they have played, but have started off very slow in the first halves and haven't faced a defense with anything near as much talent up front as Stanford.

This isn't a neutral site game and UW hasn't been very good on the road. Even in the Illinois game they didn't play as sharp as they were in the other games. UW has not beat a top 10 team on the road since the 'whammy in miami' back in '94. The last big road game was beaing then #18 USC in Sark's second year, but that was with Jake Locker who played much better on the road than Keith Price has up to this point. Price's best game away from Seattle was the Alamo bowl against RGIII, but he has no signature win vs any team in a hostile environment.

If UW has any chance of winning Price must play as well as he has been at home and his receivers must step up and play well in the scramble situations they will face often. You also must have solid play in the secondary and not allow any long bombs to destroy your day. Let them get the short yards and force them into long drives. You simply won't win if you can't cover deep.

Add all this up and UW does have a chance to win. I'd put it at maybe a 40% they pull it out. If they played the game 10 times they win 4. The reality is Stanford is too solid top to bottom to make the kind of mistakes you would need and UW's road woes are too high of a risk to bet the house on them to win. I don't see this as a blow out game either way. I honestly would be surprised to see either team win by more than 10 and would not be surprised to see UW win, but I'm not picking them.

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the end of the day Stanford is playing champion caliber football. It might not be as pretty and as flamboyant as Oregon but they are winning and show moments of a dominant team.

They are the defending pac12 champs, they are at home and they have the revenge factor which has always been big in my book. Some people don't read much into Stanford when it comes to a homefield advantage but the last time UW went there we got our clocks cleaned. Then again we got our clocks cleaned a lot that season...

They are also returning a lot of starters from the squad that won the conference.

I'm not picking UW to win either, but if they do it could indeed be a special season for Sark and the kids.

UW 27
Stanford 41

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking forward to this one. It's time for UW to take the next step and make a statement in conference on the road. A win here would be huge for this program.

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely time to make that next step. I'm just not sure they are ready to do it. PAC is very tough this year and thats a good thing, but Sark might get straddled with another 7win year just because EVERYONE seems markedly improved, well maybe not Colorado or USC. Though I think some of the guys at USC deliberately tanked the asu game to help kiffin to the door.

I still don't know much about UW other than we are certainly better than the last few years. We'll find out soon enough just how much better.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely time to make that next step. I'm just not sure they are ready to do it. PAC is very tough this year and thats a good thing, but Sark might get straddled with another 7win year just because EVERYONE seems markedly improved, well maybe not Colorado or USC. Though I think some of the guys at USC deliberately tanked the asu game to help kiffin to the door.

I still don't know much about UW other than we are certainly better than the last few years. We'll find out soon enough just how much better.

You are right about the record at the end of the season. UW had one of the worst schedules of the major teams given that we really don't have any easy road games and that is where our struggles have been.

Are we ready to take that 'next step'? Well if by that you mean consistently winning 9+ and staying in the top 20 then maybe. If you mean taking over from Stanford and/or Oregon then almost certainly no. Stanford didn't magically reach this level in one year and we all know it has been a long journey for Oregon to get where they are at. UW has the most depth they have had in a decade and yet many of those seniors were in sark's early classes where he wasn't attracting as much high end interest for the program as he is now. You reach where those guys are at by recruiting and building a program that can always reload and absorb most injuries with all of the talent around the whole program. There are probably a few schools around the country that have built up to that level fairly quickly, but outside of the schools that can always recruit I'm not sure any went from a 0-12 disaster of a program to top 5 team in just 5 years with a coach in his first stint as a head coach.

As I see it UW probably has 2-3 more years to reach that level of play IF Sark has the skills to take us there. It will take that long to get the studs he has been bringing in to develop and for the depth to get up to where those other schools are now.

It also takes time to learn how to deal with winning. By that I mean more the added distractions around a team getting national attention and not having it impact your play. Take one day this week. Practice ended and Price sat in a chair doing a phone interview with a SI reporter, then spoke to someone from ESPN, then addressed a group of media, then had a one on one question session with another reporter. All of these kids are getting attention they never have before and are being asked to still focus as much as they were to get here. It just takes time to get accustomed to that.

Does any of this mean they aren't going to be able to beat Stanford or Oregon or even ASU for that matter? Of course not. Upsets happen, but there is a reason they aren't going to be favored in any of those and the above is why.

Every school on the rise has their signature wins that signal progress. Sark's first win over USC was a sign that the days of being a total doormat were over and teams coming in were going to have to respect our house again. The Holiday bowl was another one as was the road win vs USC a couple of years back. A win over any of the next three wouldn't automatically be another one, but sure would have the potential especially if it was one of these first two.

I'm not particularly worried about losing any of them, but I don't think any of us would be happy if they ended up being really bad losses again. We need to see them able to compete.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not particularly worried about losing any of them, but I don't think any of us would be happy if they ended up being really bad losses again. We need to see them able to compete.

I might be living up in the clouds with this comment but:

Its either gonna happen this weekend against Stanford or next week against the Donald Ducks show, and that is an upset, I know there is still glaring issues with this team, but this season they have come out and shown they can get the job done, sure we can say the level of the teams they've played isnt close to Stanford or Oregon, but there is a swagger with this team, and I honestly feel there walking away these next two weeks with a possible 1-1 record...

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see them going 2-1 in the next three games, but I could also see them going 1-2.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm picking UW. 31-17. :yahoo:

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm very optimistic for the next 3 games. Huskies have already been tested by Boise St., Illinios, and Zona.

We've earned our ranking unlike other teams in the polls.

Our stats?

#1 D in the PAC

#4 in the country in offense.

Sankey Top5 RB.

Price looking like an even more polished version of 2011 Price.

I love that this team is getting it done on both sides of the ball.

Really would like to see ASJ just manhandle the trees tomorrow and get that big game we know he's primed for.

Go Dawgs. Beat Furd!!!

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see them going 2-1 in the next three games, but I could also see them going 1-2.

damn it man were not talking about the M's were talking about the Dawgs, feel it, live it, I'm excited, 2-1 is what I'm thinking too, big coming out party if they do this....

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
damn it man were not talking about the M's were talking about the Dawgs, feel it, live it, I'm excited, 2-1 is what I'm thinking too, big coming out party if they do this....

I'm feeling the best I have in a decade about this team and our chances in these up coming games. Absolutely we can go 2-1 and even 3-0.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since you bring up the M's, look at how often Seattle fans have been up for any of their teams only to be brought back down to earth. I'm a realist, not a pessimist. I gave UW a 40% chance of winning today which means I do believe the upset potential is there, but you can't ignore Hogan and both of their lines.

I actually believe we stack up better for the Oregon game. It's at home and the team has worked very hard on the read zone uptempo. Also Oregon hasn't had even a little test and some of their kids might be a little tight. They will have the advantage on their speed, but I still think it is an even more winnable game than tonight's.

<<<<<<<<<< Stop him and maybe...............
As for ASU. Don't even think you have a chance. UW's offense will simply destroy you.

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since you bring up the M's, look at how often Seattle fans have been up for any of their teams only to be brought back down to earth. I'm a realist, not a pessimist. I gave UW a 40% chance of winning today which means I do believe the upset potential is there, but you can't ignore Hogan and both of their lines.

I actually believe we stack up better for the Oregon game. It's at home and the team has worked very hard on the read zone uptempo. Also Oregon hasn't had even a little test and some of their kids might be a little tight. They will have the advantage on their speed, but I still think it is an even more winnable game than tonight's.

As for ASU. Don't even think you have a chance. UW's offense will simply destroy you.

This is your first real test. So will see. We play you at home though, and if the defense from last year shows up than maybe not.

Last edited by a moderator:

SUBuddha

Stanford Nerd
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 84,965.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WH, not that it matters, but I agree. I still think the scariest team in terms of potential for the D to harm you and O to hit you in the south is UCLA. Standford took the foot off the gas too early in the ASU game. Huskies should handle them better than Stanford did in fact.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WH, not that it matters, but I agree. I still think the scariest team in terms of potential for the D to harm you and O to hit you in the south is UCLA. Standford took the foot off the gas too early in the ASU game. Huskies should handle them better than Stanford did in fact.

UCLA is another game that will be tough for UW no doubt. We were speaking only of the 3 in a row we are now in. I believe UW can finish this mini stretch 1-2 at least, but they also still have tough games at Oregon State and UCLA later. I've said I don't see UW winning more than 9 and they still need to win one of the next three to even have a prayer at that number.

SUBuddha

Stanford Nerd
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 84,965.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was aiming that more at the kid from ASU, but yes I fully agree. I would love to see both Stanford and UW beat O this year. However, UW and the O do scare me, and Stanford at 10-2 is not a real heart breaker for me.

SUBuddha

Stanford Nerd
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 84,965.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes McNabb but they do get some great "actresses" on that couch.