• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

USC - Stanford

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn. Stanford has a white running back....and he's actually good

Last edited:

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To bad SC went into a shell in the second half; understandable with the big lead but I wanted them to blow the Indians out.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He always beats SC though. Of course SC under the previous regime always helped the other team a lot with absurd dead ball penalties which either killed or extended drives.
I can see that argument but beating 1 team makes it hard to be considered a good coach when he has been a coach for over a decade and his team hasn’t ever challenged for anything meaningful. All of the fired SC coaches accomplished more than Shaw.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see that argument but beating 1 team makes it hard to be considered a good coach when he has been a coach for over a decade and his team hasn’t ever challenged for anything meaningful. All of the fired SC coaches accomplished more than Shaw.
Unfortunately Shaws accomplished just enough to keep his job. Some good seasons, a lot which should have been better

The reality is we‘ll get some exceptional athletes based on the school, but never enough depth to mount a challenge to elite progams.

We dominate womens sports and compete very well in some mens sports (swimming, golf, baseball, soccer, volleyball) here depth is less of an issue. Basketball, IMO, is a coaching issue…. i’m convinced if the womens coach (Tara Vandaveer) was the mens coach we’d have a few PAC titles n maybe go a deep in March Madness.

Bear in mind we are a small school, 6k undergrads, so percentage participation in varsity sports is quite high.

That said, we need a coach with a burning desire to win

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately Shaws accomplished just enough to keep his job. Some good seasons, a lot which should have been better

The reality is we‘ll get some exceptional athletes based on the school, but never enough depth to mount a challenge to elite progams.

We dominate womens sports and compete very well in some mens sports (swimming, golf, baseball, soccer, volleyball) here depth is less of an issue. Basketball, IMO, is a coaching issue…. i’m convinced if the womens coach (Tara Vandaveer) was the mens coach we’d have a few PAC titles n maybe go a deep in March Madness.

Bear in mind we are a small school, 6k undergrads, so percentage participation in varsity sports is quite high.

I am not trying to say Shaw is a terrible coach at all. I get that it’s hard to recruit to Stanford. But as a dude who is familiar (not me personally but a classmate) who had offers to essentially anywhere. His parents made him choose Stanford because the Ivy League doesn’t offer scholarships. So it is hard to recruit there, but it isn’t as extremely hard as people like to pretend. Harbaugh was a great coach who coached up a 2nd tier HS QB in Pritchard that turned the program around by knocking off SC. And Shaw got to live off of that and that the entire west coast went to a spread so all of the TE’s went there.

So I do respect everything he has done. My question is why does everyone talk about him like he is Lombardi when his accomplishments are above average. He is essentially Les Miles.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not trying to say Shaw is a terrible coach at all. I get that it’s hard to recruit to Stanford. But as a dude who is familiar (not me personally but a classmate) who had offers to essentially anywhere. His parents made him choose Stanford because the Ivy League doesn’t offer scholarships. So it is hard to recruit there, but it isn’t as extremely hard as people like to pretend. Harbaugh was a great coach who coached up a 2nd tier HS QB in Pritchard that turned the program around by knocking off SC. And Shaw got to live off of that and that the entire west coast went to a spread so all of the TE’s went there.

So I do respect everything he has done. My question is why does everyone talk about him like he is Lombardi when his accomplishments are above average. He is essentially Les Miles.
I agree with you that Shaw's reputation vastly exceeds his reality, and I don't understand it other than it's a backhanded complement to a nice program at a nice school with a nice coach which was nationally relevant year in and year out decades ago. Harvard was at some point as was Yale. Stanford is a mid tier performer in a mid tier conference that can occasionally make a statement in a game or conference or nationally. It's a nice narrative.

Also, I don't think its hard to recruit the top few elite players... as you say when your kid is offered a scholarship to Stanford, there's very few parents who'd say no. Where it gets a little more dicey is those players who'd not be high profile starters, and that's where we have depth issues.

Harbaugh was unique in that he lead by example, fire, and fear. We haven't seen that type of leadership on the gridiron since Walsh. Shaw's not that guy. Nice guy, good recruiter, great for player and student. development and dedication to the athletes, but not an elite coach.

If Shaw was all the media cracks him up to be, he'd have offers from truly elite football programs and the NFL. I've seen no evidence he has

jmo

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you that Shaw's reputation vastly exceeds his reality, and I don't understand it other than it's a backhanded complement to a nice program at a nice school with a nice coach which was nationally relevant year in and year out decades ago. Harvard was at some point as was Yale. Stanford is a mid tier performer in a mid tier conference that can occasionally make a statement in a game or conference or nationally. It's a nice narrative.

Also, I don't think its hard to recruit the top few elite players... as you say when your kid is offered a scholarship to Stanford, there's very few parents who'd say no. Where it gets a little more dicey is those players who'd not be high profile starters, and that's where we have depth issues.

Harbaugh was unique in that he lead by example, fire, and fear. We haven't seen that type of leadership on the gridiron since Walsh. Shaw's not that guy. Nice guy, good recruiter, great for player and student. development and dedication to the athletes, but not an elite coach.

If Shaw was all the media cracks him up to be, he'd have offers from truly elite football programs and the NFL. I've seen no evidence he has

jmo
Socially wise, if a 4 plus star athlete on the west coast that has two parents will force their child to take a Stanford scholarship over any other. Obviously it is harder than that but I can’t think of a single athlete in my state who had chosen Wazzu or UW over Stanford when they had two parents.

Stanford and Vanderbilt lucked out that the upstart ESPN bombed where they covered the Ivy League. No one would ever say Stanford isn’t far superior since segregation was abolished.

Shaw has been great on the tv for college football once Stanford is out. I just don’t get the love for him and proves why the B1G and SEC are far superior conferences because he would’ve been fired after his 3rd straight non division winner.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He faces the problem that at Stanford the players must be real students in order to play there. Most other top schools don’t have that problem. They’ll take anyone and say “we are giving this under privileged kid a chance for an education” when in reality there is no goal to get them graduated, just win football games

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Night and day between the two halves. Killed the Indians in the first half and then got completely shut down by the sundials in the second half. Those 7 pass interference penalties hurt. Those need to be cleaned up

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think Stanford will always be an institution of education over one of sports and that is to their credit

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He is a very accomplished black coach whose players respect him and that counts for something

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

jmo
Maybe he’s happy where he is. How do you know he hasn’t received other offers?

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Night and day between the two halves. Killed the Indians in the first half and then got completely shut down by the sundials in the second half. Those 7 pass interference penalties hurt. Those need to be cleaned up
I doubt Riley wanted to embarrass David Shaw, so he didn't do much in the second half . No use putting more on film than he had to.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt Riley wanted to embarrass David Shaw, so he didn't do much in the second half . No use putting more on film than he had to.
It looks like a different era at SC this year

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks like a different era at SC this year
Yeah certainly more excitement. But the defense is not going to get better so this season its about how far the offense can take them. They need another year of recruiting and transfers to start getting the linemen on both sides to compete with the Ohio States ,Georgia, Bama and Clemsons.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah certainly more excitement. But the defense is not going to get better so this season its about how far the offense can take them. They need another year of recruiting and transfers to start getting the linemen on both sides to compete with the Ohio States ,Georgia, Bama and Clemsons.
I think you are exactly right but to me the biggest difference is you no longer see the dead ball personal fouls and foolishness that caused so much trouble for this team the past few years

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you are exactly right but to me the biggest difference is you no longer see the dead ball personal fouls and foolishness that caused so much trouble for this team the past few years
Yeah, that was a pleasant surprise. It was so frustrating to watch them burn time outs early in the first quarter or do stupid penalties to halt drives. Every season the same thing. They were certainly more buttoned up in both games.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that was a pleasant surprise. It was so frustrating to watch them burn time outs early in the first quarter or do stupid penalties to halt drives. Every season the same thing. They were certainly more buttoned up in both games.
Or stupid penalties to extend drives for the other team. They need to clean up the pass interference penalties. I think they had six, but at least those are effort penalties not personal fouls from losing their composure.