• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Upton To Tigers

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess is its back loaded.

Probably so, but a good signing. Not talking about money part, but the fact they added a good player to a very good lineup. The owner is old and a billionaire so who really cares how much they spend? I wish M's owner had that same mindset.

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Productive right-handed power bat in his prime...Those don't exactly grow on trees anymore.

A good signing for Detroit.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably so, but a good signing. Not talking about money part, but the fact they added a good player to a very good lineup. The owner is old and a billionaire so who really cares how much they spend? I wish M's owner had that same mindset.

Agree. I guess the owner was wanting Davis so they made sure they still added someone. Taking advantage of the good years remaining for Miggy. Would be nice to have an ownership that gave a shit.

They may not have a recent ring but they are showing fans they are trying. Two years ago they deal for Price to make run, it doesn't work the next year so they deal him for prospects. They lost enough games while retooling to get a protected pick. Now they still have the top 10 pick and were able to spend on Zimmerman and Upton.

M's meanwhile didn't make a deal when they were in position two years ago, held onto their best free agent last year and are playing the budget card while Cano and Felix get older. Blech.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Taking advantage of your best players prime years is how organizations should all do...which is what I've never understood with the Mariners and them holding onto Ichiro or Felix when they were rebuilding. Still can't comprehend a .500 team having over half their payroll rolled into 4 guys. For such smart businessmen it seems strange they didn't take business 101 in college.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Taking advantage of your best players prime years is how organizations should all do...which is what I've never understood with the Mariners and them holding onto Ichiro or Felix when they were rebuilding. Still can't comprehend a .500 team having over half their payroll rolled into 4 guys. For such smart businessmen it seems strange they didn't take business 101 in college.

I agree 99% of what your saying except for the bad business part. They are very good at business because they have managed to make a profit every year while increasing their franchise net worth by 60% to date while being a less than .500 team for most of their tenure. That is good business...bad baseball, but very good business. They paid names to fill seats while keeping payroll the same as if they spread the wealth equally instead of going for 4 studs and the rest duds.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree 99% of what your saying except for the bad business part. They are very good at business because they have managed to make a profit every year while increasing their franchise net worth by 60% to date while being a less than .500 team for most of their tenure. That is good business...bad baseball, but very good business. They paid names to fill seats while keeping payroll the same as if they spread the wealth equally instead of going for 4 studs and the rest duds.

I guess we will disagree on the good business point. They are good in private sector business but horrible at sports business. It's like being

A. All sports teams value has increased ten fold. There lack of business savvy has led to a frickin soccer team pushing them for 3rd most popular team in Seattle (behind the Seahawks and Mutts football)
B. They were given a gift of a cash cow in Safeco Field that guaranteed a profit unless they utterly tanked.
C. Along with B, they wouldn't have turned a profit had they not been given another huge gift in the Sonics leaving.

Luck, more than business savvy IMO is for profit. Oh ya, they screwed the pooch with waiting to purchase Root Sports until the only profitable programming outside of the Mariners contracted out to other networks let alone spending millions trying to keep a NBA team from coming back to Seattle which would give another profitable entity on there as opposed to barely breaking even. They have the best FCS conference in America contracted to them yet they don't promote it at all.