• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

UFC 203: Punk gets punked.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just goes to show you, you're not walking in off the street and beating a fighter. MMA, Boxing etc, not happening.

Saddest part about CM Punk is, the dude had 2 full years of the best MMA training a guy off the streets could find, for free, with no distractions (no kids, no job etc...) and that was the result?

Dana White should be held responsible for hiring the guy, putting him in harms way, and paying him that money. Biggest bust in UFC history.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saddest part about CM Punk is, the dude had 2 full years of the best MMA training a guy off the streets could find, for free, with no distractions (no kids, no job etc...) and that was the result?

Dana White should be held responsible for hiring the guy, putting him in harms way, and paying him that money. Biggest bust in UFC history.

It would take 5 years, at the least to be able to step into the MMA world and be somewhat respectable. But at that age, you'll never move with the flow that someone who has been doing this their entirely life will move with.

The fight game, the REAL fight game, is something you have to get into at an early age. Very few times can you get into fighting when you're 25+ and think you'll hang with someone who's been doing this since childhood.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would take 5 years, at the least to be able to step into the MMA world and be somewhat respectable. But at that age, you'll never move with the flow that someone who has been doing this their entirely life will move with.

The fight game, the REAL fight game, is something you have to get into at an early age. Very few times can you get into fighting when you're 25+ and think you'll hang with someone who's been doing this since childhood.

I agree, which what makes what Brock did, when he did it, even all that much more impressive. Pro wrestlers are not fighters in any way at all. Hell, many of them aren't even athletes. They're average stunt men, at best.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, which what makes what Brock did, when he did it, even all that much more impressive. Pro wrestlers are not fighters in any way at all. Hell, many of them aren't even athletes. They're average stunt men, at best.

The thing about Brock though, is he has actual high level wrestling experience. I think he competed in 2 National Championships in college.

But the guy is purely a freak of nature.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing about Brock though, is he has actual high level wrestling experience. I think he competed in 2 National Championships in college.

But the guy is purely a freak of nature.

Absolutely. I don't bunch him in with the rest of the pro wrestlers. He's more of a freak athlete who sometimes fake wrestles.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely. I don't bunch him in with the rest of the pro wrestlers. He's more of a freak athlete who sometimes fake wrestles.

Agreed

When he tried out for the NFL he was 6'3 283 lbs and ran a 4.7 40. Also punched out 30 reps of 225 lbs. Combine that with his college wrestling, fake wrestling and UFC fights. Freak athlete

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a load of misinformation here. WWE never wanted Brock to leave. They tried to keep him from wrestling in NJPW with a lawsuit. In 2005, they offered him a return deal and he turned it down. He's been making mad money since he entered UFC, and was the hgihest paid fighter in the whole sport at one point.

But I get it. Easy for average wrestling fan to relate to a guy who quit, walked out on his buddies, then tried something new only to get obliterated and humiliated doing it. He's your hero. I get it.
NO! You don't get it and never, EVER will!!!

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Brock began his MMA career, he was not as big of a star as he was after he retired from MMA & returned to the WWE. Punk was unquestionably the bigger star at their MMA career beginnings.

Again, we will see. If the PPV number comes back greater than the low 300s, you can't claim he is not a draw. That low 300k number comes from Dave Meltzer, PPV expert.

I am sure they balance out the fight pass numbers too. 300k x 50 bucks is still 15 million.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“Current early estimates for Saturday's UFC 203 have it doing in the range of 425,000 to 475,000 buys. While not monster numbers, that would be the UFC's best pay-per-view numbers so far this year for a show not headlined by Conor McGregor, or UFC 200.

One would have figured a show headlined by Stipe Miocic vs. Alistair Overeem for the heavyweight title to do around 250,000 to 300,000 buys. That's based on UFC 198, whereMiocic challenged Fabricio Werdum for the title, with a far stronger undercard, which is estimated at doing just under 300,000 buys.

In other words, Punk probably brought in anywhere from 125,000 to 225,000 extra buys, meaning he generated added revenue of somewhere between $3.75 million and $6.75 million for the company. So for all the criticism of the $500,000 base pay Punk earned for his debut, along with a possible percentage of pay-per-view that was Punk's deal ended up being a financial bargain.”

Inimical

Sports Hooplah Local Reporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is a one and done type thing most likely. But he really should think about joining the ultimate fighter. It takes a minimum of 2 years to get your brown belt after blue. The surprising thing is most people get their blue belts within a year and 2 years tops, and he has been training BJJ for around that time. He does come from a bad ass Gym though.

Chael on his podcast said his contacts down at that Gym said Punk was in the Gym that Monday morning.