• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

UCLA and USC to the Big Ten

PIBuckeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This might be the beginning of the end of all the big schools having 2-3 cream puffs on their schedule every year.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We definitely could use another division/level. There's about 40 teams could be in the top tier, then about 70 or so in the next level, then the FCS/D-1-A teams. There are pronounced differences in each one of those groupings. Sure, there are exceptional teams from the lower divisions that can beat the big dogs on occasion, but overall we know there are only about 20-30 teams each year with a lujjit shot at a title.

Go ahead and put those big dos in their own league with an expanded playoff, and the second tier guys can still be the ones that go to the old bowl games
I don’t follow soccer, so I don’t completely understand relegation. How would it work if college FB were to adopt it?

40 teams in the top division, bottom 5 get relegated each year? How are the bottom 5 determined? WL record? Polls?

Would relegation even work when most schedules are determines YEARS in advance?

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t follow soccer, so I don’t completely understand relegation. How would it work if college FB were to adopt it?

40 teams in the top division, bottom 5 get relegated each year? How are the bottom 5 determined? WL record? Polls?

Basically you need conferences to usurp the NCAA.

PhilSimms11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish they'd just do this. DAMN...

Pacific (9)--Cal, Oregon, Oregon St, San Diego St, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Washington, Washington St.
Mountain (9)--Arizona, Arizona St, Boise St, BYU, Colorado, Kansas, Kansas St, UNLV, Utah.
Southwest (9)--Arkansas, Baylor, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, SMU, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech.
Midwest (9)--Illinois, Iowa, Iowa St, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Northwestern, Purdue, Wisconsin.
Central (9)--Cincinnati, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisville, Michigan, Michigan St, Notre Dame, Ohio St, West Virginia.
Atlantic (9)--Boston College, Duke, Maryland, Penn St, Pitt, Rutgers, Syracuse, Virginia, Virginia Tech.
South (9)--Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, LSU, Memphis, Miss St, Ole Miss, Tennessee, Vanderbilt.
Southeast (9)--Clemson, Florida, Florida St, NC St, North Carolina, Georgia Tech, Miami, South Carolina, Wake Forest.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In the British Football Association, usually it's the top three and bottom three teams, based on record, that go up or down. (There's some exceptions, like League 1, where 3 go up to the next level and 4 go down a level.)

I don't think it works as well with CFB. Schedules are made so many years in advance, as opposed to soccer leagues where every team plays every other team, home and away, for that season. And the distances in european countries are much smaller, and there's less equipment to drag halfway across the country.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the British Football Association, usually it's the top three and bottom three teams, based on record, that go up or down. (There's some exceptions, like League 1, where 3 go up to the next level and 4 go down a level.)

I don't think it works as well with CFB. Schedules are made so many years in advance, as opposed to soccer leagues where every team plays every other team, home and away, for that season. And the distances in european countries are much smaller, and there's less equipment to drag halfway across the country.
I would love to see relegation tried SOMEWHERE here in the states. I just don’t think it is feasible when you take the franchise costs and contract AAVs into account. No BIG sports league can make it work, I don’t think.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This might be the beginning of the end of all the big schools having 2-3 cream puffs on their schedule every year.
I don't think that's quite true. What's more likely is if you're not in the top 40/50 revenue generators, you're basically a mid-major. NCAA gets yeeted in the process.

PIBuckeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. Oregon, Washington + another PAC-12 school + someone else seems most likely, imo. Stanford seems possible.
Give us the Huskies and the Ducks. that will complete the cream of the crop of the the pac 12............ sec can scavenge for the rest.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give us the Huskies and the Ducks. that will complete the cream of the crop of the the pac 12............ sec can scavenge for the rest.
BIG 12 (they still have rights to Big 16, right?) probably picks up whatever is available between the Arizona schools, Utah, and Colorado I'd wager.

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably, not sure they can get that whale this go around. I think that's the wave of expansion after this one, imo. Few years out from that.
It'll be tough. But maybe offering them a full member share immediately would help.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It'll be tough. But maybe offering them a full member share immediately would help.
Idk, it's a stubbornness thing and an unwillingness to share. Again, ND is never joining a conference unless their survival as a football program is threatened. That's gonna take more expansion from the BIG/SEC to happen. NCAA itself would need to be directly threatened. Not there... YET.