• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ubaldo declines option... is a FA now

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
look at his starts

he would be 2nd behind Smyly to join the rotation, obviously.

but like i said in other threads i believe they will trade scherzer and bring back many more younger arms.

I've looked at his stats. And if you think he'd be second to Smyly for a spot in the rotation, you might want to adjust your opinion of The Tigers minor league pitching talent. (What's a trade possibility have to do with any of this?)

xJokerz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've looked at his stats. And if you think he'd be second to Smyly for a spot in the rotation, you might want to adjust your opinion of The Tigers minor league pitching talent. (What's a trade possibility have to do with any of this?)

i would sayScherzer would command 1-2 ready NOW players + another AA player....i would assume 2 of these would be pitchers

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i would sayScherzer would command 1-2 ready NOW players + another AA player....i would assume 2 of these would be pitchers

Oh. So what you really meant was:"I assume Detroits going to trade the probable Cy Young winner for multiple minor league pitchers, who are better than Ubaldo Jimenez. So I don't want him"? That'd be great. Who has that kind of minor league pitching depth and is in the market for a 20 mil per righty?

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh. So what you really meant was:"I assume Detroits going to trade the probable Cy Young winner for multiple minor league pitchers, who are better than Ubaldo Jimenez. So I don't want him"? That'd be great. Who has that kind of minor league pitching depth and is in the market for a 20 mil per righty?

Well, that actually seems pretty attractive to be quite honest, I think Scherzer's value won't ever be as close to as high as it is now, it wouldn't be a terrible idea to trade him for a much value as possible. I would think you could get some very solid guys in such a trade. Probably not a perfect comparison as I bring it off the top of my head, but the Grienke trade from KC to Milwaukee seems like a somewhat decent baseline for a Scherzer trade.

KC got

Odorizzi
Jeffress
Alcides Escobar
Lorenzo Cain

Brewers get Grienke

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, that actually seems pretty attractive to be quite honest, I think Scherzer's value won't ever be as close to as high as it is now, it wouldn't be a terrible idea to trade him for a much value as possible. I would think you could get some very solid guys in such a trade. Probably not a perfect comparison as I bring it off the top of my head, but the Grienke trade from KC to Milwaukee seems like a somewhat decent baseline for a Scherzer trade.

KC got

Odorizzi
Jeffress
Alcides Escobar
Lorenzo Cain

Brewers get Grienke
I've actually been very pro-trading Scherzer for over a year. Caught a lot of flack for it last year(thought his post-June performance in 2012 would be as good as it'd get). A lot more early on this season. Then The Free Press got behind the idea pretty good back in July and I haven't had to bother pushing the idea since. But even if he is dealt, finding multiple prospects capable of what Ubaldo is capable of would be difficult. Adding position players who are ready now would be a much easier task. (Adding bullpen help would be even easier, and shouldn't be the goal in dealing Max)

CaptO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe (probly) Im wrong, but Ubaldos option would of cost us 8M. It goes up to 14.4 in FA. Im under the impression he thinks hes worth 14.4 (& he might be)...but is anyone willing to take the risk after what happened when he was dealt from Colo to us?

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe (probly) Im wrong, but Ubaldos option would of cost us 8M. It goes up to 14.4 in FA. Im under the impression he thinks hes worth 14.4 (& he might be)...but is anyone willing to take the risk after what happened when he was dealt from Colo to us?

If anyone should take the risk, I would imagine it would be Cleveland, Ubaldo consistently repeating those mechanics are an enormous concern. If Cleveland's FO thinks they can replicate the 2013 production for a few more years, they almost have to pull the trigger imo.

xJokerz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

no, moron.

as i said, i believe he will command alot of money because of what he did the last half of last season.

the tigers have no room for a mediocre pitching asking for OVER his value.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as a tigers fan... fuck no.

we have guys better in our minor league system

Ubaldo is wild trash who at the second half of a contract year has his BEST stats EVER as a starter?

Please...nobody buying that

That's actually what ya said. I asked who you were referring to. You went on to explain you actually meant Drew Dmyly and Jose Alverez. Then you meant young guys who currently are in another system. When you could have just said you were talking shit about Ubaldo and Cleveland. Would have saved a lot of time. And I've noticed you already discovered we have a thread for exactly that type of thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

xJokerz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im not buying his second half 2013 numbers to continue

how is this difficult to understand? so his value for 2013 is judgmental and should be taken with a grain of salt

I don't think you realize I am not exactly on board myself, I am just playing the Devils advocate here. I don't really think Ubaldo can reliably maintain the mechanics over the course of a contract, no way do I expect to get my moneys worth if I signed him for what his 2013 FA value is. However, I think it is a gamble worth considering if you are Cleveland.

xJokerz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think you realize I am not exactly on board myself, I am just playing the Devils advocate here. I don't really think Ubaldo can reliably maintain the mechanics over the course of a contract, no way do I expect to get my moneys worth if I signed him for what his 2013 FA value is. However, I think it is a gamble worth considering if you are Cleveland.

i dont think anyteam should waste the money on Ubaldo, especially a team like Cleveland. your market is fairly small..and you already have bloated contracts like Nick Swisher on your team....id give that Bauer kid a shot tho.

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im not buying his second half 2013 numbers to continue

how is this difficult to understand? so his value for 2013 is judgmental and should be taken with a grain of salt

so, if its judgmental, then it would be matter of opinion and each thought would be correct....its not difficult to understand at all.

_Xer0_

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ubaldo jiminez is a fucking terrible pitcher.