• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tunrs out Miller and the collector conspired to cheat test

Morpheus

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Von Miller of Denver Broncos, urine collector tried to cheat test - ESPN

Von Miller Tried To Cheat Test

Adam Schefter, Chris Mortensen and the "NFL Countdown Crew" discuss the off-the-field issues for Von Miller, who unsuccessfully tried to undermine the NFL's drug testing program with the help of a urine collector.

Suspended Denver Broncos Pro Bowl linebacker Von Miller unsuccessfully attempted to corrupt the NFL's drug-testing program with the help of a urine collector before each was caught in a matter that will affect how the NFL's collection testing procedures are done moving forward, league sources said.

Von Miller unsuccessfully attempted to corrupt the NFL's drug testing program with the help of a "star-struck" urine collector before each was caught, according to sources.
This helps explain why Miller's four-game suspension for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy suddenly and mysteriously was increased to six games and easily could have been up to a year, the sources said.

Miller's initial diluted sample counted as a positive test and led to notification of his four-week suspension under the NFL's substance-abuse policy. While Miller's reps and the NFLPA were prepared to fight the suspension vigorously in the appeals process, sources said the NFL, NFLPA and Miller's representatives became aware the Broncos linebacker and the collector involved worked together in an attempt to help Miller avoid a failed test.

Sources said the collector worked in Miami, where Miller spends offseason time, and the collector reveled in knowing the Broncos linebacker while being, according to a source, "star struck." It led, sources said, to the collector's willingness to substitute another person's urine specimen for Miller. It might have worked, sources said, had a second collector not discovered that Miller was not in the city where his collection was supposed to have taken place.

"He's fast," one source said of Miller, "but he's not that fast."

One source was "reasonably certain" no money changed hands between Miller and the collector, but that there was concern the NFL may have a problem beyond Miller and the collector involved. The NFL and the NFLPA declined comment.

Miller's agent, Joby Branion, declined comment Sunday morning, as did representatives of the testing company, Drug Free Sport.

Another source said after the NFL learned details in the Miller case, it summoned representatives of the testing company to New York in late August to meet with league officials to review collection procedures that could enhance the process in the NFL/NFLPA joint testing program. Repeated calls to Drug Free Sports this weekend went unanswered.

The collector involved has been dismissed, per a source.

During a series of at least four meetings and dialogue between the NFL and NFLPA, the case ceased being a normal appeals process. And while the NFL could have suspended Miller for up to a year for his attempt to influence a collector, it became apparent to both sides that the collector also was involved. Thus, the six-game settlement.

The NFL and NFLPA also conducted a joint investigation to review whether Miller was not attempting to cover up any PED or steroids-policy violation. Therefore, his suspension was determined to be a repeat violation of the league's substance-abuse policy.

In the wake of this, sources said, the NFL and NFLPA worked to deal with the bigger picture. There was a meeting between the two sides. And while Miller was taking his six-game suspension, there were discussions on terms of action against the testing company, which the union agreed to drop and allow Goodell and other league officers to clean up.

The NFL met with Drug Free Sport to make sure instances like Miller's could and would be avoided in the future. Drug Free Sport, according to sources, already has identified a new fingerprinting technology to the NFL, similar to the one being used in new iPhones, that would make it impossible for substitute urine specimens to be submitted.

Meanwhile, NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith sent out a reminder and warning to players prior to the opening of the regular season to adhere and respect the collection process. The Broncos said they had no knowledge of any of this situation and declined comment, and Miller's suspension, which cannot be increased per the settlement agreement, is set to expire three weeks from Monday.

LucklessPadresFan

Creedence Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this is true, Miller should have been suspended for a year. And with Smith being allowed to play today, it's evident that the NFL is still not serious about the substance abuse issue.

Morpheus

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you read the article, the suspension was reduced to 6 games BECAUSE the collector also conspired. Von did not bribe him or coerce him. Apparently the guy was star struck and offered to do it. So it was just deemed to be a repeat violation of the league's substance abuse policy.

BroncoInCALI

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The issue for me becomes.....How many guys have beat the system in similar fashion? That is something we will never know, most likely, but it still brings up some interesting issues. Especially when you take into account the details of the Aldon Smith mess. (During the season? Really, dude?)

As for Von himself.....I'm still shaking my head over the suspended license issue. Those issues are purely self inflicted. (Also totally unacceptable from a professional.)

His issues with weed are equally as unacceptable, but let's not kid ourselves and act like he is the only one. I certainly would not feel comfortable casting that stone. :laugh3: Hopefully he has learned his lessons. I have been very busy at work, so I have not had a chance to read the Sports Illustrated article about the environment at A&M. Planning on reading it this afternoon. Probably quite a bit of insight in there......

BroncoInCALI

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was able to catch up on about a month's worth of Sports Illustrated today.....the articles about Johnny Football, a few issues back, and the Oklahoma State article leave no doubt that dudes are getting to the NFL with zero common sense.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Idiot. If this is true, why would he have even challenged his suspension in the first place? Why not just take the 4 game suspension and leave it at that.

I hope Von learned a lesson from all of this. I hope he knows better now and won't get involved in this kind of nonsense again. I hope that the looming threat of a season long suspension causes him to walk the straight and narrow from here on it.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I LOLed at this phrase: "a "star-struck" urine collector".

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was able to catch up on about a month's worth of Sports Illustrated today.....the articles about Johnny Football, a few issues back, and the Oklahoma State article leave no doubt that dudes are getting to the NFL with zero common sense.

It's not a question of common sense, it's a question of scruples. Their getting into the NFL from a culture that basically says "do anything you want as long as you win".

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not a question of common sense, it's a question of scruples. Their getting into the NFL from a culture that basically says "do anything you want as long as you win".

A lot of this even starts at the high school level where many of these guys are treated like celebrities in their home towns. Then they get to college and have temptation out the wazoo. Pretty much they are asking these kids to act like men and make adult decisions. Since many of these kids especially in college grew up with very little somebody coming up offering to buy them a bunch of new things or even just hand them cash would be hard for any of them to resist. Throw in a lot of this is happening with Agents trying to get the upper hand in signing a player before they get to the pros so give them money in exchange for the ability to sign them later.

Right now it is a very broken system and unfortunately the big losers in all of this are the players themselves as they have a horrible view of how the world functions, have their name ran through the dirt for being a cheater, and are used and abused until they can give no more to those around them.

Unfortunately there is no easy fix in all of this. The whole system needs to be overhauled in high school and college ranks.

KwitYerWhinin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It all kind of makes you wonder about the whole culture of this. How did Romanowski get away with an entire career of ped use that he now basically brags about. It pretty much had to be a scenario like this. The difference being that the collector wasnt as likely "starstruck" as much as probably afraid of a roided up crazy man.

BroncoInCALI

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agreed. Poor choice of words.

I was looking for a way to word it and your statement about the culture of athletics sums it up perfectly.

But, "common sense" would tell me that going into a partnership with a urine collector is probably not a good idea. Especially when you are the one with the most on the line.......again, when you never hear the word "no", you make poor choices.

Last edited by a moderator:

FFSparky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree.

The question I have is "Why the hell do these articles about the same old incident keep coming up?" The punishment was dealt and the case basically closed. It's time to move on and time for Von Miller to show he's growing up!

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree.

The question I have is "Why the hell do these articles about the same old incident keep coming up?" The punishment was dealt and the case basically closed. It's time to move on and time for Von Miller to show he's growing up!

This is where unfortunately the NFL has turned into a soap opera half the time. Instead of focusing on the actual football being played they would rather focus on the personal lives of the players. Now I do think this story is somewhat important as I hope this is an eye opener for the NFL of the corruption that is going on right underneath their noses and they can begin to clean this crap up.

Von at least from the sound of it has been making some better choices over the last couple of weeks like moving back home in with his parents, hiring somebody to make sure he has no other unpaid tickets, and for the most part just keeping himself out of the media for recent events.

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Tim Tebow is pretty out of the spotlight so they have to fill that huge void.

Media outlets have to generate traffic and weekly grades and power rankings only go so far so they have to reach to fill space. It seems like this season there has not been much to carry over from the weekend. Not many controversial calls, moves, etc.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree.

Probably because this was new information. Up to now, there was only speculation as to why Miller was suspended, why 6 games instead of 4 or such. It's the way news works nowadays regardless of the subject.

BroncoInCALI

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is where unfortunately the NFL has turned into a soap opera half the time. Instead of focusing on the actual football being played they would rather focus on the personal lives of the players. Now I do think this story is somewhat important as I hope this is an eye opener for the NFL of the corruption that is going on right underneath their noses and they can begin to clean this crap up.

Von at least from the sound of it has been making some better choices over the last couple of weeks like moving back home in with his parents, hiring somebody to make sure he has no other unpaid tickets, and for the most part just keeping himself out of the media for recent events.

Not just the NFL....it's all media.

There are baseball writers who have made an entire career off of reporting about steroids.

They act like they want it to stop. But, if it actually did....they wouldn't have anything to write about. (Or they would have to focus on the actual sport.)

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why SportsCenter has gotten so hard to watch and why I have just stopped. The NFL Network now isn't getting any better especially considering they now have whole segments just about End Zone dances and who had the best one of the week. What kind of crap is that? I don't care about how these guys dance. I want in depth game analysis that comes from actually studying tape for hours on teams. I know not everybody likes this but there seems to be hardly any of that anymore. Instead we get questions like "Is Tom Brady losing his cool?" He wants to win a football game I applaud him for expecting more from his teammates. Just today they were getting after the Lions coach for throwing his head set and he doesn't even remember it yet they keep reading into this is him showing how immature he is as a coach?

Sorry I will get off my soapbox.

To the actual topic at hand yes the media almost encourages this kind of stuff to happen so they do have something to write about other than the actual sport itself. They have sports writers now searching every county in the Country trying to find another ticket or warrant for Von Miller so they can be the ones to break the next mistake he has made. Why can't they write an article about all the volunteer work and his non-profit organization he runs?

grim rpr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont care that Miller tried to cheat the test, This news was out a month ago, how in the hell is it new news to everyone now... He is doing his time, time to Support the man. He has admitted the wrong and is starting over. Hell it was POT. not PED or DUI where he could kill someone or GUNS for that matter... I am just tired of everyone killing on Miller. Pot really? Ok it is not legal in the NFL but give me a little break here. Like most of America hasnt done it... I believe he has learned from it and he deserved the suspension he got. Period LOL

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grim,

Most of us here are not concerned about the pot use but the multiple dumb decisions on Von Miller's part. Trying to cheat a test, bench warrants for traffic violations, recent traffic violations; the dude has enough to deal with without adding on these issues. The first step to getting out of a hole you have dug for yourself is to stop digging. I living with his parents again will help him to get his stuff straightened out.

Remember, having all the talent in the world is meaningless when you cannot even be in the stadium during the game and that is exactly what will happen if Miller screws up again. He will be done for an entire season.

grim rpr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grim,

Most of us here are not concerned about the pot use but the multiple dumb decisions on Von Miller's part. Trying to cheat a test, bench warrants for traffic violations, recent traffic violations; the dude has enough to deal with without adding on these issues. The first step to getting out of a hole you have dug for yourself is to stop digging. I living with his parents again will help him to get his stuff straightened out.

Remember, having all the talent in the world is meaningless when you cannot even be in the stadium during the game and that is exactly what will happen if Miller screws up again. He will be done for an entire season.

True, very True:10: