• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Trickett named starting QB

Bat 20

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is listed as Millard - Howard- Moore.

My best guess is that Millard will be the back-up unless Howard demonstrates a great jump in his game in Fall Camp.

Otherwise, I agree with Another... Howard will be redshirted this season.
Thanks for the info

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would anyone seriously consider letting Crest, Howard, or Moore be the starter vs. Alabama? Really I think it is a no brainer to have one of the two experienced guys start the season. it also makes sense to have the best of them take the majority of reps prior to that game. Any competition will only result in the starter being less prepared for the first game. That is what we saw last year and it did not work.

You know what else we saw last year? Is this years supposedly best option never understanding the offense who also happens to be frail....Shit man you ever here of people stepping up in pressure, you sound like Georgia fans before we went in there with a young QB. And we need a starter who is prepared for the season not just the first game.

Why would you not consider Crest, Howard, or Moore for Bama if they came in and out performed Trickett at Camp? Talk about giving Bama to much respect, lets just mail it in so our young guys don't get hurt. Did I miss something or did Trickett do something so amazing last year he deserved to be penciled(while still not 100%) as the best bet to beat Bama?!?!

Please tell me how Trickett is the clear cut better of the two:

Trickett 123-223 1605 yards 7 TDs 7 Ints 52.8% 6.9 per/att 8 games
Millard 92-167 1119 yards 6TDS 6 INTS 55.1% 6.7 per/att 7 games

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree with everyone saying this is the best option or choice on this matter....not sure what you guys saw that makes you think he is the best option.....hell he didn't even know the offense going into the final games of the season. IMO him playing through the pain is not an example of a good leader since it hurt us more than helped. Lame duck after lame duck at Baylor almost let them put up 100 on us in the first half...lol

The other reason I would not have named him the starter is I do not want the other guys to just fall in line...what if Howard or Millard did something to improve their game this summer, Logan Moore looked better running the offense after one spring than CT after most of the season,what if Crest comes in and immediately shows he is the man? Having two weeks to work this out in August would not have killed us, where he screwed up last year is taking the competition all the way to the end of camp and then still not being sure about the move.

Lost in the Okie St win is that the defense held them to 18 pts less their average

Would love to be wrong on this since it would mean WVU is successful but I don't think this is the guy.

No science to it just my opinion. :suds:here is to a successful season for Trickett and WVU.

I get what your saying ...why not keep the competition going until you need to choose a qb..If I am the coach ( God Forbid!)..I do what Dana is doing ..you only have 4 weeks to get your #1's ready for the first game so you need to rep that group as often as you can to develop as much timing and rythym as possible...if he fails in the first week and half I am sure Holgy will fall back to #2..but it's does show the coach being decisive and not devisive out of the gates...

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know what else we saw last year? Is this years supposedly best option never understanding the offense who also happens to be frail....Shit man you ever here of people stepping up in pressure, you sound like Georgia fans before we went in there with a young QB. And we need a starter who is prepared for the season not just the first game.

Why would you not consider Crest, Howard, or Moore for Bama if they came in and out performed Trickett at Camp? Talk about giving Bama to much respect, lets just mail it in so our young guys don't get hurt. Did I miss something or did Trickett do something so amazing last year he deserved to be penciled(while still not 100%) as the best bet to beat Bama?!?!

I am sure I am talking out of two sides of my mouth here somehow..and I am sure DAD will confirm it.:lol:....but oddly my opinion of the Alabama game is that in the overall scheme the game is not that important...it would be an awesome win for the program...but if Wv were to run the table or whatever it takes win the Big12 they would be pretty much guaranteed a playoff spot...but the TIDE is going to provide an awesome challenge.it will immediately tell the fan base what kind of team they have.if Trickett can't get it done in the first half...then I would shake it up in the second half...

Mac_Bridger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone's complaint about Clint was that he didn't know the offense. Well DH says he knows it now. I know you guys LOVE Mallard and his 20 yard duck passes, but Clint has far more physical tools. If he has it mentally, I have no issues with him being the starter.

This also explains Howard redshirting.

Mac_Bridger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Because Mallard can't throw further than 20 yards. He has less physical capability than DAD does. DH has said that Trickett now knows the offense, but who cares, let's play the guy that throws like Edward Scissorhands. Why do you guys hate Clint so much? You are to Clint what DAD is to DH.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is indeed a GREAT coach that has no QBs that know the offense in game 12 of the season..........

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because Mallard can't throw further than 20 yards. He has less physical capability than DAD does. DH has said that Trickett now knows the offense, but who cares, let's play the guy that throws like Edward Scissorhands. Why do you guys hate Clint so much? You are to Clint what DAD is to DH.

Actually not it at all...if Trickett won the job in camp I would have no problem at all...there was no need to name him the starter now when he has done nothing to earn it out right. Damn boys if the QBs on the roster get beat out by a guy recovering from surgery then DAD is right we have a bunch of junk behind center. Hell all the b$tching and moaning about my post and the best any of you guys could come up with is he has more experience than the others guys.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is indeed a GREAT coach that has no QBs that know the offense in game 12 of the season..........

That is a GREAT point DAD! Trickett went 21/37 for 356 yds in game 12 of last season. WVU must indeed have a GREAT coach!

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually not it at all...if Trickett won the job in camp I would have no problem at all...there was no need to name him the starter now when he has done nothing to earn it out right. Damn boys if the QBs on the roster get beat out by a guy recovering from surgery then DAD is right we have a bunch of junk behind center. Hell all the b$tching and moaning about my post and the best any of you guys could come up with is he has more experience than the others guys.

Last year, Dana got flamed because he did not name a starter for the first game until a week prior to the season opener.

This year Dana gets flamed because he tells the media Trickett is his starting QB.

While I did not hear the interview with Coach Dawson on Sportsline this week, he apparently made it known that Clint was clearly the number 1. How do they make their assessment? Do we trust that the coaches know what they're doing?

At the spring game, Jedd Drenning was next to Clint. Jedd stated that Clint identified each call and told him the play that should be run based on the defense's formation.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with Slaton, the Bama game is a total beast of its own. It will have nothing to do with the rest of the season as far as WVU's fortunes are concerned.

However, it is a showcase game for the program. Dana is on the hot seat. While the end result of one game won't affect the final judgement from the fan base, a solid performance against a team expected to compete in the playoffs will provide some good vibes.

Here is the FSU website's comments about Trickett heading into the 2013 season…

Clint Trickett Bio - Florida State University Official Athletic Site

2012 OUTLOOK: Smart, polished passer with a strong arm who has served as the backup quarterback the last two seasons but enters this spring in a four-way battle to replace departed starter EJ Manuel. Entering his fourth season at FSU, his knowledge of the system and game experience are advantages in the competition. Continues to get bigger and stronger in the weight room while managing his diagnosis of Celiac disease.

Key point… he was known for his strong arm.

Not the arm we saw him dangling at the end of most possessions last year…

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the spring game, Jedd Drenning was next to Clint. Jedd stated that Clint identified each call and told him the play that should be run based on the defense's formation.

My point on naming the starter has nothing to do with Trickett, I just feel IMO there was no need to have it done now...No reason why we could not have waited even a week or so into camp. You could have still given the reps to whoever you have wanted. What if someone comes in and blows Trickett away, then the fan base will be "Here we go again can't stick with one guy"

I hope you are right, I hope he knows the offense and can run it while actually playing the position.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But, there is a huge reason to do it now. Fall camp starts soon. We are only 65 days away from the Bama game. With this announcement, there will be no more stupid questions fired Dana's way about the competition for the starting QB slot. There will be no more speculation from the fans about which guy will emerge as the #1.

Last year, fans bitched and cited the fact that a clear #1 did not get to build chemistry with his WR's through the summer months. A #1 did not get the reps in fall camp needed to have the team executing well at the start of the season.

All has been laid to rest…

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You just don't lay it to rest for the fans sake, it has to be laid to rest on the field.....this guy has built no chemistry with WR's while watching practice and you, me, or anyone else knows at this point if he will. What if we give him all the reps and he still doesn't build any chemistry with them?

I just do not like the way it was handled, they could have had the same plan and kept it behind closed doors in case Trickett did not work out and named him the starter a couple of weeks into camp. Say he fails and we start another QB won't he get heat anyways?

Are the fans and media going to start driving all his decisions. Be a shame if this move backfires Millard transfers to somewhere he would get a chance to be a starter, then we lose Trickett to injury and one of these other guys has to play. Far fetched maybe, but I would not blame Millard.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you being serious?

Millard would transfer and start where?

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you being serious?

Millard would transfer and start where?

DivII school.....Would you blame him for looking? He has no shot at starting here.