• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Trickett named starting QB

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a big surprise...

Bat 20

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe not a suprise, but didn't think it would be announced this soon.

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I am not a big Trickett fan, I like the announcement. Last year, time was wasted as Holgs prepared three QBs to be a starter. Now from day 1, Clint will be the guy, get the reps and attention he needs to be effective. After missing spring, Clint needs those reps. This will also give Clint added confidence that he is not looking over his shoulder when playing.

It was a mistake last year to keep the competition open so long and the results showed as none of the three starters had the consistency needed from the starter. Nice to see that Holgs appears to be learning from his past mistakes.

Hopefully, we are looking at a new and improved Clint Trickett this year.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does this really mean anything?

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Dana can tell Trick is starter material post surgery by the way he throws in shorts and a t-shirt? Impressive indeed....:hope:

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is a senior who will be in year 2 in Dana's offense. Most every QB he's had in the past produced improved numbers their 2nd year in the system.

Clint has played more games against big time football programs than any other on the roster. That kind of experience is important when you are preparing your team to face a tough Alabama club.

This gives Clint a chance to establish himself as the offense's leader.

I believe it is the best option available heading into the Bama game.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is a senior who will be in year 2 in Dana's offense. Most every QB he's had in the past produced improved numbers their 2nd year in the system.

Clint has played more games against big time football programs than any other on the roster. That kind of experience is important when you are preparing your team to face a tough Alabama club.

This gives Clint a chance to establish himself as the offense's leader.

I believe it is the best option available heading into the Bama game.

Makes sense, at the end of the day it's Dana's call, if he says that Trick is our best bet then go with it because if it flops and this team goes with out a bowl again then we will all be on here talking about where he went wrong and getting excited about who our new HC will be and he will be some teams new OC :lol:..... BTW boys, game 1 Aug 30. Vs Bama at the QB spot.... Our QB more proven than their QB, advantage us :suds:

Last edited by a moderator:

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't it more important to name the right starter then the timing of naming the starter?

BB what big games has Trickett played in? Mop up duty at FSU? This guy is really living off one game it sounds like....thank god for Okie St's bad day.

I guess I am wondering what this guy has done that makes you think naming him the starter now is the right move? Millard is a Senior as well so what is the difference?

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clint started against Clemson his RS FR season. Played significant minutes against OU when Manuel got hurt.

IMO, Dana named the right starter.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clint started against Clemson his RS FR season. Played significant minutes against OU when Manuel got hurt.

:agree:

He is the most seasoned player..and he will be in his second full season...no question the right call..

Bat 20

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just curious, does anyone know who is now #2 is on the depth chart?

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't it more important to name the right starter then the timing of naming the starter?

BB what big games has Trickett played in? Mop up duty at FSU? This guy is really living off one game it sounds like....thank god for Okie St's bad day.

I guess I am wondering what this guy has done that makes you think naming him the starter now is the right move? Millard is a Senior as well so what is the difference?

Based on what we saw last year, Trickett was the best of the group even when playing injured. He has more upside that Mallard, Howard looks like a redshirt. Crest is raw and will likely redshirt and Moore does not appear to be the answer.

We need leaders on this team and the QB needs to be a leader. It is smart going into camp with a designated leader. Dana is really betting his job on this season and having leaders on the team is essential.

Starting out with Alabama, we want to give our QB every rep possible. It is smart picking a guy early and saying he is our man. The team has someone to rally around. They don't need a QB competition leading up to one of our biggest games of the century.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just curious, does anyone know who is now #2 is on the depth chart?

I think it is listed as Millard - Howard- Moore.

My best guess is that Millard will be the back-up unless Howard demonstrates a great jump in his game in Fall Camp.

Otherwise, I agree with Another... Howard will be redshirted this season.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree with everyone saying this is the best option or choice on this matter....not sure what you guys saw that makes you think he is the best option.....hell he didn't even know the offense going into the final games of the season. IMO him playing through the pain is not an example of a good leader since it hurt us more than helped. Lame duck after lame duck at Baylor almost let them put up 100 on us in the first half...lol

The other reason I would not have named him the starter is I do not want the other guys to just fall in line...what if Howard or Millard did something to improve their game this summer, Logan Moore looked better running the offense after one spring than CT after most of the season,what if Crest comes in and immediately shows he is the man? Having two weeks to work this out in August would not have killed us, where he screwed up last year is taking the competition all the way to the end of camp and then still not being sure about the move.

Lost in the Okie St win is that the defense held them to 18 pts less their average

Would love to be wrong on this since it would mean WVU is successful but I don't think this is the guy.

No science to it just my opinion. :suds:here is to a successful season for Trickett and WVU.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dawson was on Sportsline recently stating Trickett received shots in his shoulder prior to every game last year, to include halftime. The coaches never issued a comment on the severity of his injury.

Knowing this, the coaches felt he was the best QB to put on the field last year.

Should tell you all you need to know...

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:nod:

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree with everyone saying this is the best option or choice on this matter....not sure what you guys saw that makes you think he is the best option.....hell he didn't even know the offense going into the final games of the season. IMO him playing through the pain is not an example of a good leader since it hurt us more than helped. Lame duck after lame duck at Baylor almost let them put up 100 on us in the first half...lol

The other reason I would not have named him the starter is I do not want the other guys to just fall in line...what if Howard or Millard did something to improve their game this summer, Logan Moore looked better running the offense after one spring than CT after most of the season,what if Crest comes in and immediately shows he is the man? Having two weeks to work this out in August would not have killed us, where he screwed up last year is taking the competition all the way to the end of camp and then still not being sure about the move.

Lost in the Okie St win is that the defense held them to 18 pts less their average

Would love to be wrong on this since it would mean WVU is successful but I don't think this is the guy.

No science to it just my opinion. :suds:here is to a successful season for Trickett and WVU.

Would anyone seriously consider letting Crest, Howard, or Moore be the starter vs. Alabama? Really I think it is a no brainer to have one of the two experienced guys start the season. it also makes sense to have the best of them take the majority of reps prior to that game. Any competition will only result in the starter being less prepared for the first game. That is what we saw last year and it did not work.