• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tribute to the Unsung Heros on Team

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been thinking a lot about, as bad as the season ended, it would have been a lot worse were it not for those players that get no pub., but stepped up and made a lot of plays. The name that jumps out for me is Justin Utupo. I had no expectations about this guy, I felt he never reached his potential, that Kendall Moore was the more productive LB between the two of them and he spent 4 years buried in the depth chart. When he got his 5th year, I was like, Meh. Then Ishaq got suspended and was relieved. He bulked up to play DL and, even saw reps on the interior. He made several great plays in relief and his role increased with Jarron Jones went down (then Day). I would say thank you to him for his efforts, being an unsung hero kind of guy. To see his tragectory, especially after Moore, who was going to finally get a chance to shine, got bounced from school.

The other guy is Cody Riggs. Not so much unsung, but again, could you imagine our secondary had he not transferred? He was solid all year, and his absence was felt when he was injured. I hope the younger guys learned from him and, if Russell is back and Cole Luke and the other guys learning from him, we have solid players at the CB position. He deserves a lot of thanks.

I'd even put Joe Schmidt on this list. Again, a guy who had to earn his scholly, was largely an afterthought, but basically ran our defense this year. Again, we were a much different team when he wasn't there. Even if he whiffed on some plays (and he most certainly did at times), he always was around the ball and knew where to be.

Can't really think of any others right now, although I am sure there are, so feel free to add. Just want to say THANKS to these guys.