• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tre'vius Hodges-Tomlinson ejected for facemask penalty.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can kinda understand the ejection because it could be considered intent to injure and he could have really hurt the runner but damn, I have to admit that it was kinda cool to watch.

DonMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was pretty smooth. Doesn't seem like an ejection was necessary there.
If it was your head inside that mask you'd probably think it was more necessary.

Picklerick 2.0

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was pretty smooth. Doesn't seem like an ejection was necessary there.
That was definitely ejection worthy. He knew the only way to keep him out of the end zone was to blatantly grab the facemask and fall to the ground. Smart play on his part from a strictly "do what you gotta do to win" stand point but clearly an ejection.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He saved the TD, got to take an early shower, and get the jump on the whores at the bars.

Play of the week.
I agree with others in here that the ejection was necessary.....but I can't find a single thing to argue with the above.

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it,s rare to get thrown out over a facemask call.i can,t recall it happening before.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has any player ever been ejected in the NFL for a facemask penalty?

I do like how this is a possibility now though... I do see this also backfiring and officials taking game into their own hands and ejecting players for a facemask that isn't worthy of an ejection

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was definitely ejection worthy. He knew the only way to keep him out of the end zone was to blatantly grab the facemask and fall to the ground. Smart play on his part from a strictly "do what you gotta do to win" stand point but clearly an ejection.

It was ejection worthy, but I didn't realize the framework existed to eject someone for a facemask that wasn't a dead ball kind of thing.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with others in here that the ejection was necessary.....but I can't find a single thing to argue with the above.

The team that the Rams put out there this weekend was mostly guys that will be entering the job market shortly. Probably a good thing to get out quickly and not get associated with the rest of that mess. What a horrible game, lol.

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
beforeHas any player ever been ejected in the NFL for a facemask penalty?

I do like how this is a possibility now though... I do see this also backfiring and officials taking game into their own hands and ejecting players for a facemask that isn't worthy of an ejection
the ref must have been having a bad day cause i can,t recall it ever happening before

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A disqualification without a fine and suspension seems pretty light. Grabbing the facemask at midfield wouldn't be a disqualification, but grabbing the facemask and deliberately going to the ground to exacerbate the effect would warrant a disqualification. This could be seen as a 'professional foul' but this is putting someone's health and livelihood on the line in a meaningless, 41-0, blow-out, preseason game. If the guy scores he scores. Lesser fouls have caused major brawls in inter-team scrimmages. The NFL should be sending a message here.

I haven't watched the game yet. I will watch it, but I have very little enthusiasm for this season and I felt no need to watch this game live at 4am local.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A disqualification without a fine and suspension seems pretty light. Grabbing the facemask at midfield wouldn't be a disqualification, but grabbing the facemask and deliberately going to the ground to exacerbate the effect would warrant a disqualification. This could be seen as a 'professional foul' but this is putting someone's health and livelihood on the line in a meaningless, 41-0, blow-out, preseason game. If the guy scores he scores. Lesser fouls have caused major brawls in inter-team scrimmages. The NFL should be sending a message here.

I haven't watched the game yet. I will watch it, but I have very little enthusiasm for this season and I felt no need to watch this game live at 4am local.

Nitpick: You can't frame the game as a 41-0 blowout before either team has scored.

What the hell is a professional foul?

There is absolutely no value in watching the game unless you're trying to pump your stomach. Only the positional coaches trying to decide who to keep or cut should look at that film unless you're a Broncos fan. As someone who just selected Mims in an online slow draft, I was yelling at the screen for the Broncos to stop putting him back in the game throughout the first half. Were they trying to lose another WR? After that facemask, I would've taken away his helmet for the duration of the game. The kept using Albert O too, do they not already know they're keeping him?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems THT wasn't the only one committing a facemask on that play (of course, he went the extra mile...and then some)

1626767226.0.jpg

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nitpick: You can't frame the game as a 41-0 blowout before either team has scored.

What the hell is a professional foul?

There is absolutely no value in watching the game unless you're trying to pump your stomach. Only the positional coaches trying to decide who to keep or cut should look at that film unless you're a Broncos fan. As someone who just selected Mims in an online slow draft, I was yelling at the screen for the Broncos to stop putting him back in the game throughout the first half. Were they trying to lose another WR? After that facemask, I would've taken away his helmet for the duration of the game. The kept using Albert O too, do they not already know they're keeping him?
I haven't watched the game yet. I don't know what the score was at the time of the incident. Regardless, it was a blatant cheap-shot in a meaningless preseason game.

The term 'professional foul' has been around for at least 40 years.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't watched the game yet. I don't know what the score was at the time of the incident. Regardless, it was a blatant cheap-shot in a meaningless preseason game.

The term 'professional foul' has been around for at least 40 years.

Appears to be more of a soccer/football term than an American football term.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Appears to be more of a soccer/football term than an American football term.
Originally it was a general sports term. Over time its use has expanded outside of sports. Essentially it's an illegal act committed because the perpetrator/team gains more from the illegal act than they lose from the penalty. Outside of sports it could apply to tampering with evidence or a jury. More simply it could be admitting to a speeding offence committed by a partner/friend where the penalty for the real perpetrator would be significantly greater. In a legal setting it could be doing, or allowing, something at work to harm the promotion chances of a rival or someone who is unpopular. Generally people aren't upset by professional fouls provided there is a stiffer punishment than for a normal foul. The anger normally kicks in when the perpetrator decides to commit a professional foul in a way that unnecessarily increases the risk of harm to the victim because either way the penalty will be the same. For example Solskjaer's professional foul in 1998 was still seen as contentious in 2021 because he could have pulled the player down by his shirt. Instead he lashed out in a way that was potentially career ending for Lee.

https://www.manutd.com/en/news/detail/does-solskjaer-regret-his-only-man-utd-red-card-v-newcastle

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Originally it was a general sports term. Over time its use has expanded outside of sports. Essentially it's an illegal act committed because the perpetrator/team gains more from the illegal act than they lose from the penalty. Outside of sports it could apply to tampering with evidence or a jury. More simply it could be admitting to a speeding offence committed by a partner/friend where the penalty for the real perpetrator would be significantly greater. In a legal setting it could be doing, or allowing, something at work to harm the promotion chances of a rival or someone who is unpopular. Generally people aren't upset by professional fouls provided there is a stiffer punishment than for a normal foul. The anger normally kicks in when the perpetrator decides to commit a professional foul in a way that unnecessarily increases the risk of harm to the victim because either way the penalty will be the same. For example Solskjaer's professional foul in 1998 was still seen as contentious in 2021 because he could have pulled the player down by his shirt. Instead he lashed out in a way that was potentially career ending for Lee.

https://www.manutd.com/en/news/detail/does-solskjaer-regret-his-only-man-utd-red-card-v-newcastle

Yeah, got it professor lol. You did somewhat prove my point by using a red card as an example though.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was ejection worthy, but I didn't realize the framework existed to eject someone for a facemask that wasn't a dead ball kind of thing.
you can be ejected for any "personal foul"
Just rare for this situation. But the rule is there.