• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Training Camp Battles

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QB...everyone feels like Mason is the better pro prospect even if he's not the heir apparent. I'm willing to let this play out for QB2, but I think they will keep 3 QBs.

RB...if Samuels is slimming down trying to get faster, Idt FB will be a position for him...I think they go 3 deep at RB and keep Nix unless they really like Sutton Smith as a FB.

TE...agree 100%. X is a talented guy that can be a legit TE2, but not many people have much confidence in him. Will not be surprised if he's released actually.

DL...I haven't really heard much but there is some chatter out there that Buggs and can play DT and DE...if so, McCullers is gone.

CB...Burns will either start, be traded, or be released. I don't see how they can pay him $3mil to be a backup.
Agreed on everything here.

QB... Mason should be the QB2, but as history has shown they will be very patient with him and give him ample opportunities to prove he's ready. Dobbs is a good talent and proves capable, but he was made a placeholder as soon as they drafted Mason. Granted, that doesn't mean Dobbs won't win out. He just has to do it consecutively for 3-4 more years before they move on from Mason.

RB... Cutting Nix would save them next to nothing, so Samuels wouldn't be in the FB discussion unless an injury occurred, or if Fichtner decides to get fancy with some new looks on offense. And as you said, he wouldn't slim down if he was told he'd be playing road-grader for the RBs.

TE... Still think we'll see some sort of addition by week 3 or 4 of the preseason.

CB... Nailed it. Burns is either starting or he's gone. This is his last chance to reclaim his position in camp & preseason. If I were Colbert, I'd be putting the trade bug in people's ears right now.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed on everything here.

QB... Mason should be the QB2, but as history has shown they will be very patient with him and give him ample opportunities to prove he's ready. Dobbs is a good talent and proves capable, but he was made a placeholder as soon as they drafted Mason. Granted, that doesn't mean Dobbs won't win out. He just has to do it consecutively for 3-4 more years before they move on from Mason.

RB... Cutting Nix would save them next to nothing, so Samuels wouldn't be in the FB discussion unless an injury occurred, or if Fichtner decides to get fancy with some new looks on offense. And as you said, he wouldn't slim down if he was told he'd be playing road-grader for the RBs.

TE... Still think we'll see some sort of addition by week 3 or 4 of the preseason.

CB... Nailed it. Burns is either starting or he's gone. This is his last chance to reclaim his position in camp & preseason. If I were Colbert, I'd be putting the trade bug in people's ears right now.
U think anyone would trade for burns? Honest?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
U think anyone would trade for burns? Honest?

Possibly...as Face mentioned, probably a 6th or 7th rd pick.

While he has some on the field baggage, he does have some attributes (namely size and speed) that some coach will think they can get more out of him whether it be scheme fit, coaching style, or whatever...I'm very confident he would get picked up quickly if released.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Looking forward to seeing him & Rogers battle for this spot in camp. Going to be an exciting one to watch.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Looking forward to seeing him & Rogers battle for this spot in camp. Going to be an exciting one to watch.

Yep...with Diontae Johnson a lock, do they keep 3 slot type WRs? Probably not, so it will probably boil down to these two guys for the 6th WR.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"They also brought in former Rams linebacker Mark Barron, who earned a 54.5 coverage grade in 2018, which is actually lower than both Vince Williams and Jon Bostic, who both started for the Steelers last season. ?}"
Well... We know when they acquired him that he wasn't pro-bowl/all-pro caliber player, just a serviceable guy with more speed & versatility. But I wouldn't invest too much into that grade. The Rams secondary was a mess last year and the coaches didn't do much to correct the problems. That said... There's a reason that they still drafted Devin Bush.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well... We know when they acquired him that he wasn't pro-bowl/all-pro caliber player, just a serviceable guy with more speed & versatility. But I wouldn't invest too much into that grade. The Rams secondary was a mess last year and the coaches didn't do much to correct the problems. That said... There's a reason that they still drafted Devin Bush.
Yeah butbthey could of squired bush and kept someone just the same but wel see

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah butbthey could of squired bush and kept someone just the same but wel see
Yea, time will tell if they overpaid for Barron. With the recent history of FAs, I wouldn't hold my breath.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"They also brought in former Rams linebacker Mark Barron, who earned a 54.5 coverage grade in 2018, which is actually lower than both Vince Williams and Jon Bostic, who both started for the Steelers last season. ?}"

I think even without Bush, Barron's skillset was an upgrade over Bostic as a Mack LB.

Now with Bush, it will be interesting to see how Barron is used, but IDT he would be here if they had landed Bush 1st.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think even without Bush, Barron's skillset was an upgrade over Bostic as a Mack LB.

Now with Bush, it will be interesting to see how Barron is used, but IDT he would be here if they had landed Bush 1st.
see im waffling on baron. His skillset USED to be an upgrade. Last years play was not. as @FaCe-LeE-uS said, some things can explain that, even the year before IIRC he wasnt all that........so, has he lost it?

Yea, time will tell if they overpaid for Barron. With the recent history of FAs, I wouldn't hold my breath.
well one thing guys, one of the BEST FA signing in team history, was an at the time unheralded, BUST of a LB'er . Granted different career stages

Last edited:

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
barron.PNG
his career numbers are scattered for sure. Hes also been a safety in college, and in the pros, used at CB, and at LB...........so he got some versatility thats for usre

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
see im waffling on baron. His skillset USED to be an upgrade. Last years play was not. as @FaCe-LeE-uS said, some things can explain that, even the year before IIRC he wasnt all that........so, has he lost it?

well one thing guys, one of the BEST FA signing in team history, was an at the time unheralded, BUST of a LB'er . Granted different career stages

I think he still is an upgrade over Bostic for the Mack role...I'm not overly concerned about his performance LY...the Rams were in scheme transition LY not sure if his role was the same.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kozora: Steelers 53 Man Roster Prediction (Pre-Training Camp) - Steelers Depot

We were just talking about the WRs room...obviously nothing in stone here, but interesting Kozora thinks Rogers might not make it even with 6...he thinks (for now) that Johnny Holton might make this team. I know next to nothing about this guy.

Your thoughts?

He also has Buggs and McCullers making it and I don't see that happening.
Not buying Holton making the squad. I'm sure he's basing that belief off of the loss of DHB. Specifically, a ST gunner. DHB was logging over 200 snaps on ST each season for the Steelers. Holton was a similar player for Oakland. But I have my eyes on the stable of DBs being used as gunners this year. The WR room is simply too deep & talented for a ST type WR. Seems like it would take an injury for that to happen. Even then I like Trey Griffey as a prospect more than Holton, given that he gives the group some size.

But I've been wrong before! WR5 & WR6 is sort of wide open right now. I used to think Switzer was a lock for his return duties, but not after drafting Diontae Johnson. I still like Switzer to lock in the slot role over Rodgers, but both can & would be useful if kept around.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kozora: Steelers 53 Man Roster Prediction (Pre-Training Camp) - Steelers Depot

We were just talking about the WRs room...obviously nothing in stone here, but interesting Kozora thinks Rogers might not make it even with 6...he thinks (for now) that Johnny Holt might make this team. I know next to nothing about this guy.

Your thoughts?

He also has Buggs and McCullers making it and I don't see that happening.
they were talking mccullers on the radio last night, they were shocked hes still on the team, but think he makes it through camp. They also were split on burns

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he still is an upgrade over Bostic for the Mack role...I'm not overly concerned about his performance LY...the Rams were in scheme transition LY not sure if his role was the same.
curious, what about the year before?