• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Trade deadline

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's just no way this dude doesn't have an extension worked out with the Bears already. They're probably just not announcing it yet because the media would have a field day with it a la "Bears give big money to acquisition while screwing over homegrown product that earned it (Johnson)."
I sure hope you're right about this, Jidster. Because if not, Poles will become the laughingstock of the league. They're already giggling over the Claypool fiasco, this would take it over the top.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two part grade here:

If the Bears extend Sweat at a realistic price and timeframe: B+, possibly A-
If Sweat walks after this half season: F--
Well, obviously, he's going to be extended. I'm evaluating that as a part of this deal. Just like whoever lands JJ isn't dealing for him simply for this season. We aren't doing that with Sweat.

I still don't like it. Screams Claypool again. I could have stomached this with a 3rd and maybe toss in a 5th for 6th swap or something.

I don't entirely HATE it. I don't like it, though.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, obviously, he's going to be extended. I'm evaluating that as a part of this deal. Just like whoever lands JJ isn't dealing for him simply for this season. We aren't doing that with Sweat.

I still don't like it. Screams Claypool again. I could have stomached this with a 3rd and maybe toss in a 5th for 6th swap or something.

I agree with this...but to play Devil's Advocate: We are just SO BAD at rushing the passer. Like, historically bad. We have 10 sacks and 5 of them were the outlier against Sack Machine Howells. We average less than a sack per game and because our scheme and pass rush is so bad, every marginally competent QB is Joe Montana out there.

Yes, it does sound similar to the "We NEED a WR" sh*t that happened after the Claypool trade...and usually desperation trades are bad...But we are desperate on the line. Overpaying via trade to fill it in a dead season when you know there will be options in the offseason/draft is what makes this trade really suspect. But make no doubt about it, we needed pass rush one way or another or this team is going to continue being a doormat.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If they extend him, what's not to like. The relative production comparison between Claypool & Sweat is almost comical. Granted, we're talking about two different sides of the ball, so it might be a bit of apples and oranges here, but looking at the numbers each have provided respectively, Sweat is significantly more productive at his position than Claypool is at his.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with this...but to play Devil's Advocate: We are just SO BAD at rushing the passer. Like, historically bad. We have 10 sacks and 5 of them were the outlier against Sack Machine Howells. We average less than a sack per game and because our scheme and pass rush is so bad, every marginally competent QB is Joe Montana out there.

Yes, it does sound similar to the "We NEED a WR" sh*t that happened after the Claypool trade...and usually desperation trades are bad...But we are desperate on the line. Overpaying via trade to fill it in a dead season when you know there will be options in the offseason/draft is what makes this trade really suspect. But make no doubt about it, we needed pass rush one way or another or this team is going to continue being a doormat.
Oh, I agree. My immediate reaction to this was "Chase Claypool again".

I think a sack or two from our total (5 sacks) also came against Blaine Gabbert in KC when we were down 41-3 with both teams playing backups.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with this...but to play Devil's Advocate: We are just SO BAD at rushing the passer

To think, some idiots on this board (grey pubes) wanted to bet me real money ($500) that the Bears would finish top 5 in sacks just a year ago today. I mean, talk about having a complete disconnect with reality. The old fart can't even spell football.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry pro-trade or anti-trade posters here, but it really does boil down to whether or not Sweat gets an extension.

*With the extension, you get an experienced, talented, and consistent pass rusher at a position that can easily be argued as the most needed on this team, at least most needed on the defense.

*No extension, why the fuck bother even discussing the matter.

justanidiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so funny someone went on Chase Youngs wiki page and made him a DE for the Chicago Bears.

I like the player, but not having Chase on the other side is what we should be worried about. No problem with our DT's right now, should have never let Nichols walk.

Hopefully it works out. Just feel like we lost a pick to use on a center next year, but rebuilding the monsters of the midway defense is what will get us back to .500

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they extend him, what's not to like. The relative production comparison between Claypool & Sweat is almost comical. Granted, we're talking about two different sides of the ball, so it might be a bit of apples and oranges here, but looking at the numbers each have provided respectively, Sweat is significantly more productive at his position than Claypool is at his.
That's fine. The issues are that he's 27 and may leave his prime before our contention window, for starters. We're trying to find band-aids with vets and paying them large sums of cash. When we should (probably) be drafting young players, putting them on rookie deals, and paying free agents that we don't have to give up (top 40 overall) picks for to plug said holes.

Sweat is good. However, is he worth, not just paying - but also giving up perhaps the 34th or 35th overall pick for? Is he THAT much better than guys available in the spring?

We'll probably get a 2nd or so for Johnson today.

NET:

Sweat and a bottom half 2nd round pick.

LOSS:

Johnson and a potential top 5 2nd round pick

Versus... just signing Johnson or gaining the capital from Johnson's trade and signing a DE in the off-season that we didn't have to deal a 2nd for. Then, with that 2nd round pick? You take a top 5ish pass rushing prospect at 35 overall.

The comparison to Claypool is that it's an overpay (the same exchange of currency) for a glaring weakness. As opposed to building your team through the draft. Which is how you actually sustain a build for the long term.

I like Sweat as a player, like anyone else. No debate there.

Hell, at least I get to watch ONE competent pass rusher the rest of 2023, if nothing else. lol

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's fine. The issues are that he's 27 and may leave his prime before our contention window, for starters. We're trying to find band-aids with vets and paying them large sums of cash. When we should (probably) be drafting young players, putting them on rookie deals, and paying free agents that we don't have to give up (top 40 overall) picks for to plug said holes.

Sweat is good. However, is he worth, not just paying - but also giving up perhaps the 34th or 35th overall pick for? Is he THAT much better than guys available in the spring?

We'll probably get a 2nd or so for Johnson today.

NET:

Sweat and a bottom half 2nd round pick.

LOSS:

Johnson and a potential top 5 2nd round pick

Versus... just signing Johnson or gaining the capital from Johnson's trade and signing a DE in the off-season that we didn't have to deal a 2nd for. Then, with that 2nd round pick? You take a top 5ish pass rushing prospect at 35 overall.

The comparison to Claypool is that it's an overpay (the same exchange of currency) for a glaring weakness. As opposed to building your team through the draft. Which is how you actually sustain a build for the long term.

I like Sweat as a player, like anyone else. No debate there.

Hell, at least I get to watch ONE competent pass rusher the rest of 2023, if nothing else. lol
I'm not nearly as concerned about his age as you are. 27 is hardly ancient when we're talking about a talented and athletic player such as Sweat. Plus obtaining talent like his can shorten the contention span. Remember, premium players at premium positions tend to cost more. But again, all this is moot if we don't sign the guy to an extension. It will actually make the Claypool trade seem like a relative bargain, because at least the Bears had him for a season and a half to determine if the trade would end up being a total bust. Here we only have half a season if they don't extend Sweat.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,756.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sweat was a nice pickup.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure we're getting the 2nd round pick back when he trades away 1 or both of those 2 high first round picks.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not nearly as concerned about his age as you are. 27 is hardly ancient when we're talking about a talented and athletic player such as Sweat. Plus obtaining talent like his can shorten the contention span. Remember, premium players at premium positions tend to cost more. But again, all this is moot if we don't sign the guy to an extension. It will actually make the Claypool trade seem like a relative bargain, because at least the Bears had him for a season and a half to determine if the trade would end up being a total bust. Here we only have half a season if they don't extend Sweat.
First of all, 28... that is how old he will enter next season at. It is absolutely possible, at that age, that he's left his best years behind him. As a team who hasn't even sniffed their window yet? It's not a wise move. Could it work and we get a couple great years out of him? Sure. EVEN THEN, however, we still might not be contending yet and it's all for nothing. When we COULD HAVE drafted a top pass rushing prospect with our likely 35th-ish overall pick that we traded - who will be 21-22 and making chump change for four seasons.

Age is simply a PART of the multiple issues that I have with this deal.

Remember, premium players at premium positions tend to cost more

Irrelevant. I don't understand the value in stating this. No one is debating this obvious fact.

Stop the whole "IF" we sign him to an extension. He's signing an extension. Just stop. It's getting annoying reading you say that over and over when the whole reason he was dealt - is because we're willing to pay him and Washington didn't/couldn't.

We are evaluating this deal under the impression that he's signing.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stop the whole "IF" we sign him to an extension. He's signing an extension. Just stop. It's getting annoying reading you say that over and over when the whole reason he was dealt - is because we're willing to pay him and Washington didn't/couldn't.
I hope you're right in that it already is a 'done deal' so to speak and the only discussion that should be had in the coming days is will the new contract have been worth it.

Now as far as you getting annoyed over my contining to say if, go fuck yoursdelf. I'll continue to say it as long as any extension talks remain in limbo. If my IF bothers you so much, then stop reading my posts and do what you do best, which is hitting the bottle any time you have the slightest attitude.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Niners got c Young for a 3rd round pick. But we got Sweat for a 2nd. Seems off. But what do I know?

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Niners got c Young for a 3rd round pick. But we got Sweat for a 2nd. Seems off. But what do I know?

If they got the younger guy for a 3rd, it just makes us look so stupid. Sigh.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If they got the younger guy for a 3rd, it just makes us look so stupid. Sigh.

I was just thinking that we got fleeced........

And as Rich and BWW pointed out,if Poles wanted to go def with the 2nd rd pick,why in the hell did we not call the season a wash and draft a d-lineman thats younger and gonna come cheaper for 4 years.......

Im not quite happy about this trade as I was when I first heard the news.....a 3rd I could wrap my head around,but a 2nd........ugh

And now Young goes for a 3rd.......damn

Unless Young did not want to sign with us next season.......im in belief Poles would have talked to these individuals that we were trading them to keep them,not as rentals......

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spotted this over on the main board:

Edit - no idea whether or not this is accurate, just passing on the info

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spotted this over on the main board:

Edit - no idea whether or not this is accurate, just passing on the info

Fuck that.....if its not 2nd,no deal......

Why would we give Sweat a ton of money at his age,but not give a top db and youner JJ his due........

Another fuck up??