• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Trade advice

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So me and another guy in my 12 team dynasty league have been going back and forth offering deals. He really wants Adam Jones and he really is not giving all that much to choose from on his team. This morning he offered me Everth Cabrera and Matt Carpenter for Jones. I am a BIG Cardinals fan however this doesn't necassarily make the offer a good deal for my team. Jones led my team in HR's. Although this is probably going to be Jones' best season in his career I still see it possible for him to hit over 30 again next season. I have guys who have the ability to hit 30 such as Votto but other than these two players that is probably as close as I will get to 30. I do however need a SS. I have Rollins and Brad Miller as my current SS's which I will probably cut Rollins when we select our 24 keepers. I believe I can get a Everth type player by going out and adding Villar although he may not get as many runs as Cabrera. I don't think I am getting the value back from giving Jones out. I would like to know what the rest of you think.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who are your other outfielders? Carpenter will have even more value if he's the Cards third baseman....

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is my full team.

C - Rosario
1B - Votto
2B - Phillips
SS - B. Miller
3B - Zimmerman
OF - McCutchen
OF - Jones
OF - Gomez
3 UTIL - Craig, Ramos, Santana
Bench - Rollins, Venable, Calhoun

SP - Zimmerman, Garza, Skaggs, Gio Gonzalez, Morrow, Cingrani, Santana, Liriano, Gray
RP - Feliz, Grilli, Hawkins, Strop, Henderson

I would also have to drop someone if I took on an extra player in the trade.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im usually willing to part with outfielders as there are 90 starters at the position everyday. But I can see why you'd rather not cut anyone. But you could plug Craig in the outfield for Jones. Could just be Im overvalue ing Carpenter. His versatility would be a nice addition though. Any chance of adding a reliever instead of Evereth?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think instead of adding Everth I should be looking to get a SPing from him. A few of the guys he has are Pujols, Kinsler, Wright, Reyes, Josh Hamilton, Marte, Bautista, Holliday, EE, Carpenter, Everth Cabrera, CC Sabathia, Scherzer, Hamels, Medlen, Shields. To me it just seems as if he doesn't want to give up too much for Jones. I don't mind not having guys like Pujols, Holliday, CC Sabathia and a few others because of their age. This is a dynasty league so I want guys who are not past their prime and are usuable for more than 1 year.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i like the trade for you... everth cabrera is a SB monster... and if you get rewarded for OBP, he is a very good walk guy... and that is before we talk about matt carpenter, who had an MVP caliber season, and had a better offensive season than the actual mvp McCutchen... adam Jones is great, and he is an elite OF, but you are getting quality players back who play much weaker defensive positions...

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes but with Villar still out there don't you believe he is somewhat comparable to Cabrera just at a cheaper price and less AVG. We go by AVG in our league not OBP. We also use QS instead of W in pitching category.

Also I feel Carpenter will not have a season like this ever again. He is not a true lead off hitter having no speed so how can the Cardinals afford to keep him there?

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes but with Villar still out there don't you believe he is somewhat comparable to Cabrera just at a cheaper price and less AVG. We go by AVG in our league not OBP. We also use QS instead of W in pitching category.

Also I feel Carpenter will not have a season like this ever again. He is not a true lead off hitter having no speed so how can the Cardinals afford to keep him there?

sleepers at draft are often known by the whole league... dont count on getting a sleeper so cheaply...

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and with carpenter's OBP there is no reason for the cardinals to not use him as the leadoff... he is not a typical power hitter either so where else would you bat him???

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I'm laughing at that one. Jones is an elite OF. It would take way more than a steroid filled Everth and Carp to get him from me... I see Miller as a better hitter than Everth, although you'll miss the SB's, but like you said, you can aim for someone like Villar. Carpenter would have to duplicate his season to have any value, and I just don't see that happening.... and besides, if you want him that bad, couldn't you just trade Phillips for him straight up?

No, I'll take the .285, 30, 100 and 15 from AJ.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

..oh yeah, and 100 runs too.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
fantasy loves the long ball, so even though i actually think it is a fair trade(maybe even better for you), i think you can still get more for for adam jones... in fact you can probably get that pitcher and still get everth and carp... especially if you throw in another player not as good as the 3 you would get...

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I'm laughing at that one. Jones is an elite OF. It would take way more than a steroid filled Everth and Carp to get him from me... I see Miller as a better hitter than Everth, although you'll miss the SB's, but like you said, you can aim for someone like Villar. Carpenter would have to duplicate his season to have any value, and I just don't see that happening.... and besides, if you want him that bad, couldn't you just trade Phillips for him straight up?

If this were a points league, it would be fair, but in a category league you are giving too much.

Carpenter's value is derived from his ability to hit for average and score a ton of runs. The guy is an awesome hitter, so he will likely hit over .300, but what happens if he "only" scores 105 runs?

I like Everth Cabrera a lot. He is a player I will certainly target come draft season, but there are risks with him. You are basically getting two 6th round caliber players for a first round player. I think you need more.

By the way, you really need to start shopping your catchers around. Somebody in your league will surely be willing to give up a more productive UTIL player for those guys. All 3 of those guys are good catcher options, but you could return players comparable to Everth and Carpenter by trading either of your 2 best C's. Playing them at any spot other than catcher means you are not maximizing your roster.

Check this link for more detailed analysis: Catcher at 1B?

Does your current trade partner need a C? What about Rosario for Everth?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The latest offer I submitted to him is...

Jones, Rollins, Hawkins

for

Carpenter, Medlen, Everth Cabrera

He COUNTERED! with... same except Garza instead of Rollins.

This is a dynasty h2h league can change lineups daily. 12 starts max from pitchers a week. standard scoring stats except we use QS.

I am using Ramos and Rosario at UTIL spots. I have tried trading C's. No one wants them. I probably couldnt even get a first round supplemental pick for any of em. Also I won my league last year with 3 catchers.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The latest offer I submitted to him is...

Jones, Rollins, Hawkins

for

Carpenter, Medlen, Everth Cabrera

He COUNTERED! with... same except Garza instead of Rollins.

This is a dynasty h2h league can change lineups daily. 12 starts max from pitchers a week. standard scoring stats except we use QS.

I am using Ramos and Rosario at UTIL spots. I have tried trading C's. No one wants them. I probably couldnt even get a first round supplemental pick for any of em. Also I won my league last year with 3 catchers.

In daily change leagues it isn't as bad, but still.

Keep trying. With Mauer (this year) and Posey (next year) destined to move away from the C position, the landscape is changing. Hopefully Santana gets enough games to keep his eligibility even though Gomes will likely be the number 1 C in 2014. Santana is playing more first.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In daily change leagues it isn't as bad, but still.

Keep trying. With Mauer (this year) and Posey (next year) destined to move away from the C position, the landscape is changing. Hopefully Santana gets enough games to keep his eligibility even though Gomes will likely be the number 1 C in 2014. Santana is playing more first.

I was under the impression Santana was @ 3B/DH?

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was under the impression Santana was @ 3B/DH?

Santana is taking grounders at 3rd and may get some reps there in winter ball, but right now that looks like a long shot.

If he stopped catching, his production would surely increase, but is it worth the lost eligibility? For you team it surely is, just not sure if it helps his overall value.

My guess though, none of Santana, Posey or Mauer are C eligible by 2016.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So after long few days of countering multiple offers back and forth here is what we finished with.

I give: Jones, Carlos Santana, Garza

I Get : Carpenter, Marte, E Cabrera

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So after long few days of countering multiple offers back and forth here is what we finished with.

I give: Jones, Carlos Santana, Garza

I Get : Carpenter, Marte, E Cabrera

Ouch... okay then, just sayin' I wouldn't have done that.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ouch... okay then, just sayin' I wouldn't have done that.

I definitely agree... he gave up way too much... and that is someone who likes the 3 players he got a lot... once santana was thrown in, the trade went bad in my opinion... although, it is not that bad... it is not going to kill...