• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tough year for Ovechkin

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty brutal year for Alex Ovechkin...
-Russia does not even medal at the Olympics
-His team is booted in the first round of the NHL playoffs
-He gets suspended for the first time in his NHL career (twice)
-He misses about 10 games and finishes one goal behind Stamkos/Crosby for the Richard and 3 points behind Sedin for the Ross, both of which he probably wins if he wasn't suspended (esp. since he missed games against the Panthers)
-Russia just misses gold at the Worlds

Now, the guy was still stellar and had a great season, contributed in the playoffs, etc. and obviously 2nd in the Ross and Richard, nominated for the Hart, etc. is a position a ton of guys would love to be be in, but it's gotta be a really disappointing 9 months for the guy. On the plus side for Caps' fans, I fully expect him to be an absolute monster next year.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya think any of this motivates him? Losing just doesn't mix well with him. He hates it and and next year we all will see

Oh yeah, I'm sure it does. Now if only we could get that kind of response from Alex Semin.... sigh.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Semin was arrested in Germany last night...Not sure what the charges were, but he played in today's game against the Czech Republic (although he was invisible).

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
What did semin get himself into this time?

a tight spot, obviously. :D

I wonder how OV will react next year. he's either an unstoppable force, or he realizes that he's human, and the rest of the league does, too.
I'm still not sure how the Habs put a blanket on him (couldn't have just been Gill, right???), but they showed it could be done.

ritari330

Only a myth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a tight spot, obviously. :D

I wonder how OV will react next year. he's either an unstoppable force, or he realizes that he's human, and the rest of the league does, too.
I'm still not sure how the Habs put a blanket on him (couldn't have just been Gill, right???), but they showed it could be done.

They really didn't shut him down except for game 1. He had 10 point in that series. Habs did a beter job shutting SC down than OV.

Edit: sorry, I didn't intend to make this a SC vs. OV deal

scottflyers88

Lets Go Flyers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
yea i was going to say they did not really shut down ovechkin at all. they shut down crosby and malkin. or maybe one of them just had a bad series.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
They really didn't shut him down except for game 1. He had 10 point in that series. Habs did a beter job shutting SC down than OV.

Edit: sorry, I didn't intend to make this a SC vs. OV deal

ahh, i stand corrected. I guess the game that stands out for me was the one that he was held to one shot or something like that.

on second look at the stats - he got 7 of those points in two games, and either 0 or 1 in the other 5 games.
He was also a plus 6 in those two combined games, and was a -1 through the rest of the series.
so they did a heck of job in most of the games. :cool:

ritari330

Only a myth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ahh, i stand corrected. I guess the game that stands out for me was the one that he was held to one shot or something like that.

on second look at the stats - he got 7 of those points in two games, and either 0 or 1 in the other 5 games.
He was also a plus 6 in those two combined games, and was a -1 through the rest of the series.
so they did a heck of job in most of the games. :cool:

Game 1 was the game where he was held to 0 SOG. In game 5-7 Caps had 1 goal in each game. Just saying his % of points on goals was high in the series.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
fair enough - i was largely busy watching my own team at that time.
I think I only got to see a couple of the Caps - Habs games.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ovechkin was OK against the Habs I thought. Probably not as good as his point total made it look. They did seem to know exactly what he was going to do most times he had the puck.

Would 'dominated except for the goalie' be the same as 'team A is better than team B except for the pitching'? I just always think its funny when someone says how much better a team was, except for the goalie - which last time I checked is a part of the team. A very important part.

I laugh, though I admittedly I have said the same thing before.

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ovechkin was OK against the Habs I thought. Probably not as good as his point total made it look. They did seem to know exactly what he was going to do most times he had the puck.

Would 'dominated except for the goalie' be the same as 'team A is better than team B except for the pitching'? I just always think its funny when someone says how much better a team was, except for the goalie - which last time I checked is a part of the team. A very important part.

I laugh, though I admittedly I have said the same thing before.

I think in most cases it's just a part of game analysis. Sometimes people use it to "justify" their team's loss, but if your team clearly manhandles the other team, outskating them, outshooting them, keeping the puck in the attack zone, generally looking like the better overall team, it's tough not to notice.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, my post clearly dominated yours. Well excpect for spelling, gramer, and content.

scottflyers88

Lets Go Flyers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
comeds i know what you are saying. its not like i said, the capitals should have won except halak got in the way. the goalie is part of the team. i just meant in terms of the overall play, the caps dominated.