• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Top Remaining 2014 Free Agents

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that the Winter Meetings are over, here are the top ten remaining free agents from Tim Dierkes' Top 50 list, with updates on each.
3. Shin-Soo Choo. The acquisitions of Jacoby Ellsbury and Carlos Beltran by the Yankees, Curtis Granderson by the Mets and Corey Hart and Logan Morrison by the Mariners have helped define the market for Choo. One report recently indicated he Rangers had a seven-year offer on the table. Not everyone agreed, but in any case, the Rangers remain interested. The Astros, Diamondbacks and Reds do not appear to be in the mix. The Tigers could be another possibility, although ESPN's Jerry Crasnick recently wrote that their acquisition of Rajai Davis ruled them out.
5. Masahiro Tanaka. Tanaka's status will likely become clearer once an agreement on the posting system is ratified tomorrow. If Rakuten decides to post Tanaka, the Diamondbacks could be serious suitors, as could the Cubs. Tanaka is also the Yankees' "top choice." The Dodgers might also be a possibility, but their interest doesn't appear to be as strong as expected.
6. Ervin Santana. The Tigers are reportedly interested in Santana, and the Diamondbacks have met with his agent. The Mets probably dropped out of the race when they agreed to terms with Bartolo Colon. The Yankees do not appear to be interested.
7. Matt Garza. 9. A.J. Burnett. The Pirates still believe Burnett is deciding between re-signing with them or retiring, although the Orioles have shown interest, and Burnett's offseason home is in Maryland. It's been almost two months since Burnett said he would take "a week or so" to decide whether to continue playing or retire.
11. Ubaldo Jimenez. The Indians want Jimenez to return, but it's unclear whether they'll make a big enough commitment to re-sign him. 14. Stephen Drew. 17. Nelson Cruz.
23. Bronson Arroyo. 25. Grant Balfour.

MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

Still some solid names out there, guess we will start to see more of them sign in January.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nyfan1980

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope Tanaka is posted and the Yankees sign him. Though we still have big holes at 2B and 3B, but our rotation would be set. Need to figure out the bullpen as well.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The team in Japan was trying to convince him today to stay, we'll see if that works.

PackMaster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You sure about that?

Yep I can see the future and I'm absolutely sure about it. Fuck no I'm not but the cubs are a major market team that hasn't spent a dime yet, they've said he's the main target and I believe they are going to make a huge bid for the guy..

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Update on Tanaka.

We learned earlier today that MLB and Nippon Professional Baseball have formally agreed upon modifications to the inter-league posting system. Of course, the most immediate ramifications of that agreement relate to whether and when star Japanese pitcher Masahiro Tanaka will be posted by his current club, the Rakuten Golden Eagles. The lack of clarity as to his MLB availability seems to have held up the upper-level starting pitching market. Indeed, as MLBTR's Charlie Wilmoth explained yesterday, five of the top ten players still free on the open market are starters.
Here's the latest on Tanaka:
  • Tanaka told reporters that he had expressed his desire to pitch in the majors next season in a meeting with team president Yozo Tachibana, Sanspo reports. (Japanese language link; thanks to MLBTR's Aaron Steen for the translation.) However, the team hasn't made a decision yet, the righty said. "I'd like to show what I can do on a new stage," Tanaka said. "[Rakuten] graciously listened to what I had to say."
  • A final decision on posting Tanaka could come down as soon as tomorrow, Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times reported earlier this evening. Tanaka "is expected to learn his fate Tuesday," according to Hernandez, who reported that club officials were scheduled to meet with the 25-year-old hurler. As Hernandez also explained, an earlier report from Sanspo said that Rakuten will, in fact, post Tanaka. But, as Hernandez notes, that report did not provide any quotes from owner Hiroshi Mikitani or other top club officials. And, of course, the more recent report noted above raises further questions as to whether a resolution is imminent.
  • Given the $20MM cap on posting fees provided under the new agreement, a relatively meager sum compared to prior fees paid for top-level arms like Tanaka, it is not unreasonable to consider him a virtual free agent if posted. Indeed, as ESPN's Buster Olney tweets, there is little reason for any team not to throw its hat in the ring since the posting fee is refundable to any club that does not sign him. As Olney explains, that makes for a risk-free chance at signing Tanaka which probably carries some public relations benefits.
  • Given his age and essentially open-market availability, if posted, Tanaka would fit the Cubs' plan of building around young players, Jesse Rogers of ESPN Chicago writes. "We wish there was a free-agent market for young players," team president Theo Epstein said in November. Given Tanaka's situation, just that opportunity could be at hand for Chicago (along with the rest of the league, of course).
Aaron Steen contributed to this post.

Last edited by a moderator:

$500 Million

Elitist Douche
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he posts he will cash in big time in this weak ass pitching market, I'd say he gets 7 years/140 million or more.

Nyfan1980

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he posts he will cash in big time in this weak ass pitching market, I'd say he gets 7 years/140 million or more.

$20 mil a year? The good thing about the past system is he would have signed for $10-12 mil per year. this is a unproven MLB pitcher, that is a lot to pay.

Nyfan1980

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep I can see the future and I'm absolutely sure about it. Fuck no I'm not but the cubs are a major market team that hasn't spent a dime yet, they've said he's the main target and I believe they are going to make a huge bid for the guy..

The Cubs will have competition. The Yankees also had him as their main target for their rotation, they have been waiting to see if hes posted and want to make another big signing.

gregrey972

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am seriously looking forward to the negotiations if/when he is posted...the Rangers will be big players in it as well seeing as they have plenty of money to throw at him as well as lining him up next to Darvish!

PackMaster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cubs will have competition. The Yankees also had him as their main target for their rotation, they have been waiting to see if hes posted and want to make another big signing.

The newest report said the yankees might not go after him because they want to be at a 189 million dollar payroll and signing him would surely put them over. Buster olney said they'll most likely go after cheaper options, sorry hun..

Nyfan1980

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The newest report said the yankees might not go after him because they want to be at a 189 million dollar payroll and signing him would surely put them over. Buster olney said they'll most likely go after cheaper options, sorry hun..

What newest report? This Tanaka or bust report came out today.

As for Japan's Masahiro Tanaka, we have known for some time the Yankees want him badly. From the initial plan this winter, Tanaka joined Robinson Cano, Brian McCann and Carlos Beltran atop the Yankees' wish list. The Yankees would love to make it 3-for-4 with Jacoby Ellsbury pinch-hitting for Cano.
The Yankees aren't undecided on him. While the $189 million payroll threshold is out the window unless Alex Rodriguez remains suspended -- and even then, they might not make it -- the Yankees will go all out for Tanaka, feeling he is exactly what they need: a high-end, young starter to bring buzz to the Bronx.

$500 Million

Elitist Douche
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless Tanaka doesn’t want to be a Yankee or he doesn’t post, he will end up in the Yankees rotation. The Yankees (if they get the chance) cannot let this guy get away, he could very well be the most essential free agent signing the Yankees have had since they signed Catfish Hunter in 1975. Reason is because they have nothing but prayers in their farm system, and this guy Tanaka, whether he’s a 3 or 4 or whatever is their only way of getting a guy this good this young, maybe for a long time. Maybe ever FFS, these Yankees player development people couldn’t find their faces in a room full of mirrors. Hal will spend 140-170 million to get it done, whatever it takes.

PackMaster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What newest report? This Tanaka or bust report came out today.

I saw buster olney reporting that the yanks really want to be at 189 mil or under and tanaka obviously makes them go quite a bit over. I heard this literally around 3 on espn today. The yanks have always said thats the number they should to be at its no secret but hey believe what ya want.. I believe olney, not sure where your reports from but buster is usually right.

$500 Million

Elitist Douche
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw buster olney reporting that the yanks really want to be at 189 mil or under and tanaka obviously makes them go quite a bit over. I heard this literally around 3 on espn today. The yanks have always said thats the number they should to be at its no secret but hey believe what ya want.. I believe olney, not sure where your reports from but buster is usually right.

What about Hal? Is he a reliable source?

“It’s an absolute goal. Yes, I think we can do it. But it’s not going to come at the expense of fielding a good team. Right now, we’re still under it. right now, we’ve still got a decent amount of money to spend. And we’re going to. We’re going to put it back into the team the way we always do.”

Nyfan1980

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like tanaka won't be posted. Their team lied, they said if Tanaka says he wants to come to the MLB that they would let him but now its looking like they won't let him and will wait another year. I thought these people were all about honor?

$500 Million

Elitist Douche
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like tanaka won't be posted. Their team lied, they said if Tanaka says he wants to come to the MLB that they would let him but now its looking like they won't let him and will wait another year. I thought these people were all about honor?

Not gonna lie, this is absolutely devastating news for the Yankees.

They're pretty much fucked now, for 2014 anyway.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rakuten Golden Eagles appear to be settling on not posting Masahiro Tanaka and plan to offer him a contract with a record annual salary of 800MM yen, or around $7.7MM, Sports Hochi reports. Tanaka said in a press conference this week that he had communicated his desire to pitch in the U.S. in 2014 to Rakuten. However, it appears that the maximum $20MM posting fee agreed to by MLB and Nippon Professional Baseball negotiators under the new posting system -- a drastic reduction from what Rakuten was expected to receive under the old arrangement -- is giving club ownership considerable pause.

Nyfan1980

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not gonna lie, this is absolutely devastating news for the Yankees.

They're pretty much fucked now, for 2014 anyway.

It would be, we really need another SP. Its not over yet, executives in the MLB still believe he'll be posted. That this is a game that is being played right now.