• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Top 5 Easiest/Toughest P5 Schedules for 2018

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thats not how it works.
1. an opening that falls on the same weekend.
2. can also agree to a later date for the return
3. is willing to play a P5 team
4. is willing to play a possible second P5 team if they already had one.
5. would be willing to play Oregon who was in the middle of a 13-2 season when the series was canceled. was coming off 6 consecutive seasons of 10 wins or more.
6. if into the off season Oregon was coming off CFP runner up.

but no yeah an open date is all that matters.

There are alot of other options than just doing a home and home. Those neutral site games aren't announced that early on ahead of time, and you can always try and get a lower level P5 team to come to Oregon for a buy game.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but how are they #23 on FPI but somehow considered the easiest of P5 schedules?

They are ranked 23 in the FPI. That doesn't have anything to do with their remaining schedule.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oregon can't play themselves and they don't play USC, at least in the regular season. And Oregon is dragged down significantly for what has to be the worst P5 OOC schedule.
Don't we hear endlessly that it's entirely normal and ok for SEC teams to schedule 3 or more entire pieces of garbage because of how difficult their conf schedule is? And they only play 8 of those. And they end up missing far more of the meat in those slates with how few of their own they really play every year.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't we hear endlessly that it's entirely normal and ok for SEC teams to schedule 3 or more entire pieces of garbage because of how difficult their conf schedule is? And they only play 8 of those. And they end up missing far more of the meat in those slates with how few of their own they really play every year.

There is some truth in that IMO. Just look at LSU's schedule. They play Miami and garbage OOC, but still have to play UGA, Bama, Auburn and Mississippi State in conference. If Oregon would have been played UW, Stanford, USC, and another top 20 potential team they might not have the easiest projected SoS.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is some truth in that IMO. Just look at LSU's schedule. They play Miami and garbage OOC, but still have to play UGA, Bama, Auburn and Mississippi State in conference. If Oregon would have been played UW, Stanford, USC, and another top 20 potential team they might not have the easiest projected SoS.
I wasn't fully equating the two. I was simply pointing out that FPI and other such lists might also give Oregon less of a bashing for their overall perceived schedule because they do play at least 3 expected high ranked teams.

Their OOC is total garbage and they know it. It would leave them out of the top 10 even if they did go on a tear and rightfully so. I just isn't the worst slate in the P5 because of what perceived meat they do have.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't fully equating the two. I was simply pointing out that FPI and other such lists might also give Oregon less of a bashing for their overall perceived schedule because they do play at least 3 expected high ranked teams.

Their OOC is total garbage and they know it. It would leave them out of the top 10 even if they did go on a tear and rightfully so. I just isn't the worst slate in the P5 because of what perceived meat they do have.

Every P5 team is going to have at least 3 games against highly ranked teams though. I'm not even saying the Pac 12 is terrible, but missing USC hurts and then playing Oregon State is a killer as well. Part of the reason UCLA has such a difficult schedule, outside of playing OU, is that they avoid Oregon State and play USC. Utah has a pretty weak OOC, but they have to play Washington, Stanford, and Oregon as cross games as well as USC in the division and miss Oregon State. That's why they have a top 25 toughest schedule despite an overall poor OOC schedule. Oregon State is projected to be the worst P5 team according to FPI, somewhat significantly too, playing them will drag your schedule down.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every P5 team is going to have at least 3 games against highly ranked teams though. I'm not even saying the Pac 12 is terrible, but missing USC hurts and then playing Oregon State is a killer as well. Part of the reason UCLA has such a difficult schedule, outside of playing OU, is that they avoid Oregon State and play USC. Utah has a pretty weak OOC, but they have to play Washington, Stanford, and Oregon as cross games as well as USC in the division and miss Oregon State. That's why they have a top 25 toughest schedule despite an overall poor OOC schedule. Oregon State is projected to be the worst P5 team according to FPI, somewhat significantly too, playing them will drag your schedule down.
Again, I'm really not defending their schedule. They get both Stanford and UW at home. They really do have the easiest schedule they could have even imagined. Their toughest road game for the entire season might be Utah? :L Maybe Arizona? :noidea: Neither are murderers row.

As I said, even if they somehow went undefeated they would have no business even being considered for the top 10, more or less a playoff berth.

I just get why raw number metrics might not have them lower than they should be. That was the only real point.

They are playing a pure garbage schedule.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, I'm really not defending their schedule. They get both Stanford and UW at home. They really do have the easiest schedule they could have even imagined. Their toughest road game for the entire season might be Utah? :L Maybe Arizona? :noidea: Neither are murderers row.

As I said, even if they somehow went undefeated they would have no business even being considered for the top 10, more or less a playoff berth.

I just get why raw number metrics might not have them lower than they should be. That was the only real point.

Oh I would agree. A fourth of their games are against the bottom 1/4 of FBS and/or an FCS team. My guess is there isn't another P5 team that has that.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I would agree. A fourth of their games are against the bottom 1/4 of FBS and/or an FCS team. My guess is there isn't another P5 team that has that.
I'd have to really look at it. There are teams that fall through the cracks every year. The Pac rotation does leave every team missing two from the other division every year, but some miss nearly 40% of their own conference every year which leaves some really hard and some really soft schedules from just that rotation. It just isn't a slam dunk to believe every P5 team plays 4 or more high ranked (or forecasted high ranked teams) every year.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd have to really look at it. There are teams that fall through the cracks every year. The Pac rotation does leave every team missing two from the other division every year, but some miss nearly 40% of their own conference every year which leaves some really hard and some really soft schedules from just that rotation. It just isn't a slam dunk to believe every P5 team plays 4 or more high ranked (or forecasted high ranked teams) every year.

It would be almost impossible for any other team to have that many awful teams on it. Oregon State is the only team ranked 100 or worse from a P5 conference so in order for it to happen it have to be an SEC or ACC team that loaded up on 4 sun belt, mac or cusa teams. Can't think of any off the top of my head.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be almost impossible for any other team to have that many awful teams on it. Oregon State is the only team ranked 100 or worse from a P5 conference so in order for it to happen it have to be an SEC or ACC team that loaded up on 4 sun belt, mac or cusa teams. Can't think of any off the top of my head.
Virginia Richmond, Liberty, Ohio and Indiana as nonconference doesnt play Clemson or FSU

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oklahoma State Missouri State, South Alabama and Boise State nonconference

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't much of a difference from playing the 100th worse team in FBS from playing the 80th from any real decent team.

That said, again there's reasons outside of FPI why Oregon has the largest piece of shit schedule in the P5's.

They get Stanford at home in week 4 very early in the season and get UW at home after their bye week. :L That's called setting them up tee ball style. It doesn't get any easier than that. Anywhere. Ever. They have 5 road games: Cal, WSU, Zona, Utah, and the beavs. Cal doesn't scare legit teams right now and that's not a tough place to play a road game. WSU will be breaking in a new QB that's a new transfer student after their presumptive starter for this year committed suicide in the off season. That's a team with issues. Zona has a legit threat QB, but never does put it all together and is now in year one of a new staff. Sumlin might make something happen, but... Utah is tough on the road and that's about it.

It's a complete garbage schedule and I still don't expect them to finish better than 9-3 given their own staff turnover (second straight year) and recent short comings.

There are only 3-4 teams in the Pac that have a chance even at being highly ranked at year end and that's if everything goes well for all of them. Should be better than last year (not hard to beat that mark), but this conference is all kinds of rebuilding all over the place.

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Um if Oregon goes undefeated I can pretty much guaranty you that not only will they be in the top 10, they'll be headed to the playoffs.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Virginia Richmond, Liberty, Ohio and Indiana as nonconference doesnt play Clemson or FSU

Neither IU or Ohio is rated 100 or worse like Oregon State, Bowling Green and San Jose State are though.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What schools?

And Ok State and Boise State are not bottom dweller programs.

I'm assuming UVA plays those other 4 schools and Oklahoma State plays those other 3 schools. Still isn't as bad as the Oregon bottom 4.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't much of a difference from playing the 100th worse team in FBS from playing the 80th from any real decent team.

That said, again there's reasons outside of FPI why Oregon has the largest piece of shit schedule in the P5's.

They get Stanford at home in week 4 very early in the season and get UW at home after their bye week. :L That's called setting them up tee ball style. It doesn't get any easier than that. Anywhere. Ever. They have 5 road games: Cal, WSU, Zona, Utah, and the beavs. Cal doesn't scare legit teams right now and that's not a tough place to play a road game. WSU will be breaking in a new QB that's a new transfer student after their presumptive starter for this year committed suicide in the off season. That's a team with issues. Zona has a legit threat QB, but never does put it all together and is now in year one of a new staff. Sumlin might make something happen, but... Utah is tough on the road and that's about it.

It's a complete garbage schedule and I still don't expect them to finish better than 9-3 given their own staff turnover (second straight year) and recent short comings.

There are only 3-4 teams in the Pac that have a chance even at being highly ranked at year end and that's if everything goes well for all of them. Should be better than last year (not hard to beat that mark), but this conference is all kinds of rebuilding all over the place.

Agreed it also sets up well from a road/home perspective. I actually think they'll be a 9 or 10 win team, and it wouldn't surprise me to see them win 11 in the regular season. Herbert must play every game though, unlike last season.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Um if Oregon goes undefeated I can pretty much guaranty you that not only will they be in the top 10, they'll be headed to the playoffs.
Zero chance of that.

At all.

Not if every game was a double digit win.

Very very impossible.

Couldn't happen.

The only two team with teeth on their schedule would have losses to them and would suffer in the polls. They would have no chance of having more than 3 ranked teams at all, and none would be top 10. NONE.