• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Top 5 College coaching jobs

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
John had more integrity. George Washington was getting his ass kicked, had the French step in, fund and train his army then ruined their country by not giving them any of the spoils when the Brits granted us independence. Wooden doesn't strike me as cut throat but I wasn't alive when he won a title.

I can agree there is a chance Wooden didn't know his players were all bought. But that would go to show that he had no idea what was going on in the program he was in charge of running.
It has to be one way or the other.

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know that, but Coach K and Dean Smith have quoted Wooden's book as to being instrumental in their coaching philosophies. It is semantics on discussing who was the better coach but I just feel Wooden's resume speaks for itself.

I feel that it's very similar to John Calipari's.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel that it's very similar to John Calipari's.
Let me be sure I understand this correctly. You think Wooden's record is similar to Calipari's?

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me be sure I understand this correctly. You think Wooden's record is similar to Calipari's?

No. You need to go back and read.
His players were bought and paid for just like Calipari's. He won because he had the most talent. The difference is Wooden coached in a time with less parity.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can agree there is a chance Wooden didn't know his players were all bought. But that would go to show that he had no idea what was going on in the program he was in charge of running.
It has to be one way or the other.

True, but ignorance was bliss back in that era of the media and all up to you handled the media. And history remembers those the way reporters reported. His program could've been portrayed as SMU but wasn't, and I'm not going off first hand just stories how Wooden's prospects were bought.

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but ignorance was bliss back in that era of the media and all up to you handled the media. And history remembers those the way reporters reported. His program could've been portrayed as SMU but wasn't, and I'm not going off first hand just stories how Wooden's prospects were bought.

I agree with you. And SMU is a very good analogy.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His players were bought and paid for just like Calipari's. He won because he had the most talent. The difference is Wooden coached in a time with less parity.

If this were college football I'd agree where parity keeps you from playing the best teams, but when all the top talent in the country are on the teams you play I still think coaching is a huge part of it. Do you think Calipari could've handled top prospects who were political figures like Kareem and Walton? I'm more open to Knight, K and Smith but I think Calipari isn't on the level of Wooden. Calipari has had full teams full of guys with NBA talent, Wooden just always had the best player, like Phil Jackson.

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this were college football I'd agree where parity keeps you from playing the best teams, but when all the top talent in the country are on the teams you play I still think coaching is a huge part of it. Do you think Calipari could've handled top prospects who were political figures like Kareem and Walton? I'm more open to Knight, K and Smith but I think Calipari isn't on the level of Wooden. Calipari has had full teams full of guys with NBA talent, Wooden just always had the best player, like Phil Jackson.

Actually Cal has managed very diverse personalities. I'm no Calipari fan. But yes. I think he could have won several championships if he were in Wooden's shoes. Again I don't think Calipari is a great coach. That just goes to my point.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually Cal has managed very diverse personalities. I'm no Calipari fan. But yes. I think he could have won several championships if he were in Wooden's shoes. Again I don't think Calipari is a great coach. That just goes to my point.

Guess we can agree to disagree, I think there is a difference between managing different personalities than political figures who are on your team. Even if his players were bought I find Wooden admirable that he was a strict religious white dude who could handle the black panther image Alcindor had to play and the Vietnam hippie Walton was. Michael Bennett was just forced to issue an apology over his BLM remarks and Pete Carroll and Paul Allen are ten times more liberal than Wooden was.

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess we can agree to disagree, I think there is a difference between managing different personalities than political figures who are on your team. Even if his players were bought I find Wooden admirable that he was a strict religious white dude who could handle the black panther image Alcindor had to play and the Vietnam hippie Walton was. Michael Bennett was just forced to issue an apology over his BLM remarks and Pete Carroll and Paul Allen are ten times more liberal than Wooden was.

Yes.
But thanks for the conversation.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As the season approaches (fastly!) I will spend time to look at sports articles that rank the top coaching jobs in the country. Here is mine.

1. Florida - Gators are located in one of the best recruiting states in the country. The are situated in the SEC East which over the years has proven to be the weaker division of the mighty SEC. You have recent tradition starting in the 90s and not long ago you had 2 national titles in 3 years. You can recruit top end talent without leaving your state. Also one can only imagine the Gators have good financial support.

Cons: Although you are in the SEC East, you still have SEC West teams to face and still need to win the SEC championship game to get to the national title. Also have two very good programs in FSU and Miami in your state, along with the rising UCF to deal with. Plus every other SEC school poaches Florida recruits.

2. USC - If Only USC knew they were one of the elite coaching jobs out there and hired a quality head coach then the Trojans may be a force once again in the PAC-12 and the College Football world. They are located in Los Angeles, drenched with history and success. Top recruits around the state grew up Trojan fans and wanting to play for USC. Playing in the PAC-12 South, the Trojans should be in the PAC-12 title game on an annual basis.

Cons: Off campus football field. Incompetent administration.

3. Texas - WOW. Money, location, history, tradition, your own network, and the Big12 conference. Texas has it all if you want to win national titles. One would expect you should only have to worry about Oklahoma each year and the winner of that game should win the conference.

Cons: With everything I mentioned, somehow Texas hasn't won a conference title since 2009. And since 2009, their last conference title and appearance in the national tile game, the Longhorns have gone 35-35. What the hell? Also you have Texas AM moving to the SEC which may have some of the local recruits thinking they want to play in the SEC over the Big12. Longhorns did avoid a tough challenge from Baylor, thanks to the Bears off-field issues.

4. Georgia - A combination of Florida and Texas in one. You get the luxury of playing in the SEC East and surrounded by great local recruiting talent. You also have a lot of money and people throw the word "Traditional power" around you when you haven't really done much since the 1980s. Also job security is much better here then at the other schools that have been listed before it. 8 wins to 10 wins the average norm here, yet you get crowned the preseason #1 each year. Also great stadium and local passion.

Cons: Much like Florida you still have to play SEC West teams and would have to overcome an SEC West team in the SEC Champ game to get to anywhere meaningful.

5. Ohio State - Tradition and success at tOSU. You rule the Midwest here along with the traditional Big10 conference. As kids grow up each year they continue to see Ohio State at or near the top of the rankings. Great home field advantage.

Cons: Location. Unlike the other schools that have great local recruiting grounds and great weather, Ohio State the only Midwest team on this list, has a little bit of an obstacle to overcome if it were targeting some top Southern recruits with the other schools listed above them.

Teams you thought would make the list but didn't:

Alabama - Great tradition, great success both in history and very recent. But the pressure here would be unbearable once Saban leaves. He has created such high expectations that I don't see how another coach would want to try and step in here and duplicate his success. Because that would be the expectations. Immediately.

UCLA - Always second fiddle to USC. You had about 7 years of the Trojans being sanctioned and could not gain ground at all. You fail.

Notre Dame - Although one of the most historic college football programs of all time, you have to recruit nationwide to get top talent, and hope those top talent kids can relate to your schools fundamentals, academics, and history of success that happened when their grandparents were their age.

LSU - Although great in state recruiting talent, and passionate fanbase with one of the best home atmospheres, the Tigers have to play in arguably the toughest division in college football.

Don't hate, post yours.

I'd argue OSUx shouldn't be on the list because they've had recent success while the others are in a down phase. Of course, CUM might well leave OSUx quite a bit worse than he found it - as in recent history.

So, fix those other major programs and become a legend or go to OSUx and be the punching bag when they start perennially losing to UM, again.

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd argue OSUx shouldn't be on the list because they've had recent success while the others are in a down phase. Of course, CUM might well leave OSUx quite a bit worse than he found it - as in recent history.

So, fix those other major programs and become a legend or go to OSUx and be the punching bag when they start perennially losing to UM, again.

Yep the Urb almost Pete Carroll'd UF. I'm sure OSU will get the same treatment at some point.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you wanted Luke Fickel as your head coach then? When did anyone turn down Michigan? Your only evidence that either Miles or Harbaugh turned down Michigan is that they weren't here instead of Hoke -- the same can be said of Meyer that year.
You keep trying buddy. Harbs told MI no it's that simple. Meyer never told tOSU no. Live in your fantasy land.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You keep trying buddy. Harbs told MI no it's that simple. Meyer never told tOSU no. Live in your fantasy land.
Really? Find me a quote from Harbaugh saying no and not just someone speculating he said no. Because based on current evidence of Harbaugh being our coach, he said yes.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ahh, that makes more sense.

Not so sure about the parity part.

Hasn't Calipari recruited the most talent since he's been at Kentucky?

Hasn't Saban recruited the most talent since he's been at Alabama?

I can't name a school that has out recruited them during that time frame. Any of you recruiting gurus know of some. (Not a single year but cumulatively.)

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? Find me a quote from Harbaugh saying no and not just someone speculating he said no. Because based on current evidence of Harbaugh being our coach, he said yes.
The first time. You know when they had to settle for Hoke. Dont tell you think MI didnt even ask him when he was leaving Stanford.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The first time. You know when they had to settle for Hoke. Dont tell you think MI didnt even ask him when he was leaving Stanford.
And don't tell me OSU didn't ask Urban before they had Fickell do it.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come on now, everyone knows that Rich Rod was the number one coach on their list and so was Hoke.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come on now, everyone knows that Rich Rod was the number one coach on their list and so was Hoke.

I thought Hoke did an amazing job in ann arbor. Still don't understand how they could get rid of that kinda talent though.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And don't tell me OSU didn't ask Urban before they had Fickell do it.
They talked to Urban and that is why he is coaching at tOSU. Notice how he didnt chose another job over Ohio State? The same cant be said about Harbs and MI.