• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tonight was another example(regarding Cuse)

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously, what do I make of these guys come March? They are #1, undefeated but play just about every game close. As Boeheim said they could literally have 7 or 8 losses right now.

But for some reason they win. That defense is awesome. They have a great rotation but short rotation.

The players complement each other perfectly but they don't score a ton and every game is close.

I've mentioned this a bit in threads throughout the year and today's game on the heels of the Pitt game got me to finally pop the question.

How good are they? Jonvi and cuse boys feel free to chime in too.

I think they are a very dangerous NCAA tournament team for a few reasons:

1) Many point at SU's lack of depth as an issue. Rotation depth is less an issue in the dance because each team only plays 2 games a week. Take a look at Duke having to play 5 games in 10 days. The regular season grind is where you need rotation depth. With that said, I don't think you'll find a more solid 7 man rotation.

2) With the return of Keita, SU goes back to having a huge baseline. It's disruptive as hell. And the way Christmas is improving, if Keita gets to play without concern for fouls, just go be Krazy Keita, SU is the last team you go inside on. Love seeing teams get one dimensional.

3) And speaking of one dimensional....SU's got the pound them hard inside game working. RAK and Grant are becoming nasty down low. And SU can knock down some trey's. Everyone knows if you work hard on Cooney you can shut him down, but then Fair and Ennis bust a couple. You have to guard them all. SU is not one dimensional.

4) With every win, SU gets closer to securing the overall one seed. Should SU get the overall one seed, every game through the E8 will be played in Buffalo or NYC. SU not having to leave the state of NY is a huge advantage.

5) These last couple of games have been SU playing with a 6 man rotation. And they've still managed to pull out W's. It's bound to be close....the games are bound to be ugly. Even if SU had lost at Pitt or the NC State game, I wouldn't feel any different about SU's future looking good once Keita is back.

6) Like I said in an earlier post....SU's the only team this year to suffer losses to players part of the main rotation and keep winning. I will bet teams like AZ wish they had gutted out Ws while they were short staffed. These games are bound to help in the dance.

Last night Ennis played like a Freshman. I think the media attention of the 3 from the Pitt game just added too much distraction. He didn't seem prepared last night. For the first time this season he had 4 TO's. Missed a critical front end of a 1 and 1. He had 5 assist but four turn over's for his worst ration of the season. If I'm happy about getting something out of the way, it's brining our Freshman PG back down to earth. He's had one hell of a run but he needs to play within himself. He isn't here to carry SU. He's here to run the point. I think last night was a good lesson in life for the young man.

I like my boys more and more with every win.

Last edited by a moderator:

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did not think Keita being out would have such an overall impact...but it does. I agree; when Keita returns; Syracuse will be better. Two weeks in a row; Syracuse got very lucky.....and one might say luck is a product of good preparation....not so sure...at any rate, congrats on continuing the streak.

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Syracuse may not be pretty but they are disruptive, have capable talent (playing as a team) a fair amount of experience and a great coach. That doesn't sound too bad to me.

It's going to take a shootout and/or dismantling of Syracuse's game (play them equally tough on defense) to beat them in the Tourney. Duke played them best this season but here's the last time the Cuse lost: (I saw an opportunity so I took it, Jonvi) :lol: :suds:

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1hQ2t5-iQ30[/ame]

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was a bad assed game. McGary was a beast. Trey Burke...man....what can I say.

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was a bad assed game. McGary was a beast. Trey Burke...man....what can I say.

Talent everywhere on that court...

I'm leaning towards a "hope we don't rematch this year" because the results would be different. :nod:

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, McGary came out of nowhere and stole the show.

Malibu

PEACE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cuse overall 7th in the country giving up 58.2 pts/game while 218th in offense at 70 pts/game. The offense has to pick it up and so does the rebounding overall. I agree with Jonvi though tournament time with hopefully Keita back that back line of the zone is a bitch to deal with. Id still like to see the Cuse pound the ball even more inside and Ennis take it to the hole more often for him and easy baskets to his teammates. Depth tournament time isnt an issue unless another guy goes down which I obviously dont want to see happen or foul trouble. Getting the number one overall seed would be huge to stay in the N.Y. area with those great Cuse fans. Boston College would be a great game and time for the Cuse to handle there business easily and early to get some of the younger guys some playing time. Go Cuse!!!

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, at one time we all thought that Syracuse and Arizona had separated themselves from the rest. seems to me there are some new sheriffs in town and they are Duke and Florida...and Michigan State is looking in as well.

IDK about Duke.

But I have said for weeks on weeks that MSU and Florida are two of the best(with Cuse and Zona).

MSU healthy I think is the most complete a team could be.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they are a very dangerous NCAA tournament team for a few reasons:

1) Many point at SU's lack of depth as an issue. Rotation depth is less an issue in the dance because each team only plays 2 games a week. Take a look at Duke having to play 5 games in 10 days. The regular season grind is where you need rotation depth. With that said, I don't think you'll find a more solid 7 man rotation.

2) With the return of Keita, SU goes back to having a huge baseline. It's disruptive as hell. And the way Christmas is improving, if Keita gets to play without concern for fouls, just go be Krazy Keita, SU is the last team you go inside on. Love seeing teams get one dimensional.

3) And speaking of one dimensional....SU's got the pound them hard inside game working. RAK and Grant are becoming nasty down low. And SU can knock down some trey's. Everyone knows if you work hard on Cooney you can shut him down, but then Fair and Ennis bust a couple. You have to guard them all. SU is not one dimensional.

4) With every win, SU gets closer to securing the overall one seed. Should SU get the overall one seed, every game through the E8 will be played in Buffalo or NYC. SU not having to leave the state of NY is a huge advantage.

5) These last couple of games have been SU playing with a 6 man rotation. And they've still managed to pull out W's. It's bound to be close....the games are bound to be ugly. Even if SU had lost at Pitt or the NC State game, I wouldn't feel any different about SU's future looking good once Keita is back.

6) Like I said in an earlier post....SU's the only team this year to suffer losses to players part of the main rotation and keep winning. I will bet teams like AZ wish they had gutted out Ws while they were short staffed. These games are bound to help in the dance.

Last night Ennis played like a Freshman. I think the media attention of the 3 from the Pitt game just added too much distraction. He didn't seem prepared last night. For the first time this season he had 4 TO's. Missed a critical front end of a 1 and 1. He had 5 assist but four turn over's for his worst ration of the season. If I'm happy about getting something out of the way, it's brining our Freshman PG back down to earth. He's had one hell of a run but he needs to play within himself. He isn't here to carry SU. He's here to run the point. I think last night was a good lesson in life for the young man.

I like my boys more and more with every win.

I think the one dimensional part is the key right there. It happens to so many teams against Cuse. It doesn't matter who you are...you are playing there game and if you are not ready....

My only thing is since they play so many games what happens in the tourney when there are 6 chances in a row of them running into a team that makes it rain? A team like Duke who tosses up long jumpers at will no matter the opponent is what's a little scary.

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IDK about Duke.

But I have said for weeks on weeks that MSU and Florida are two of the best(with Cuse and Zona).

MSU healthy I think is the most complete a team could be.

I agree that a healthy MSU is in my top 3 along with Duke and Syracuse.

Florida over the past few weeks has shown great improvement as that switching defense takes a lot of coordination and as a result, our guys are not giving up easy baskets. If Florida can get a little better on offense and we are improving, then I would also put our boys on the same level with what I believe are the top 3 teams.

Can't agree that Arizona is going to be an elite 8 due to the crushing loss of Brandon Ashley. Sean Miller just hasn't been able to put the pieces together as Johnson and Gordon can't seem to get it done lately.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that a healthy MSU is in my top 3 along with Duke and Syracuse.

Florida over the past few weeks has shown great improvement as that switching defense takes a lot of coordination and as a result, our guys are not giving up easy baskets. If Florida can get a little better on offense and we are improving, then I would also put our boys on the same level with what I believe are the top 3 teams.

Can't agree that Arizona is going to be an elite 8 due to the crushing loss of Brandon Ashley. Sean Miller just hasn't been able to put the pieces together as Johnson and Gordon can't seem to get it done lately.

While it's awesome you are not a illogical homer, I think you are underselling Florida lol.

It's like the quote/paragraph I read from a CBS article

When talking to opposing coaches for my Scouting Title Contenders piece on the Gators last week, one quote stood out among all the tips, pointers and analysis: "We all get hit with adversity, but with Florida, it just doesn't last as long." On the surface, it makes sense. But after watching the Gators weather storm after storm against Kentucky, the picture really started to form: teams simply don't go on big runs against Florida. In the NCAA tournament, 12-0 and 15-2 runs swing momentum in major ways -- and Florida just doesn't allow it.

Florida doesn't let team break away from them and that is huge. While they don't have the Horford, Noah or Brewer they have a well balanced TEAM.

I think MSU has the best pieces when healthy, Florida the most well rounded and Cuse has 1 of every type of player you want.

then Zona is good too, the Ashley injury just really hurts in my opinion.

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Kentucky game showed me that Kentucky has the best players in the country. They just don't know how to play together and it's their size and athletic ability that gets them their wins. If between now and the tournament they figure it out, they will do quite well. Andrew Harrison has to learn to be a floor leader instead of looking for his own scoring opportunities. Because Kentucky is so out of sorts, IMO, Florida looked better than we really are. There are no 1st round draft picks on the Florida team. All the teams mentioned have at least one. We have 7 guys that are very good players and know how to work together. Any decent team can beat us on a good night. IMO, Florida and Syracuse have the best defenses in CBB. Early in the year, all I heard was how bad Florida is and now all I hear is how good Florida plays. IMO, we are some where in the middle of all that. There is still some tough away games remaining and I'm willing to bet Florida does not run out the rest of those games.

Malibu

PEACE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan losing and Michigan St. losing to Nebraska at home just shows how hard it is to win in College Basetball from game to game. Got to give the Cuse props so far.

CoolStoryBro

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cuse overall 7th in the country giving up 58.2 pts/game while 218th in offense at 70 pts/game. The offense has to pick it up and so does the rebounding overall. I agree with Jonvi though tournament time with hopefully Keita back that back line of the zone is a bitch to deal with. Id still like to see the Cuse pound the ball even more inside and Ennis take it to the hole more often for him and easy baskets to his teammates. Depth tournament time isnt an issue unless another guy goes down which I obviously dont want to see happen or foul trouble. Getting the number one overall seed would be huge to stay in the N.Y. area with those great Cuse fans. Boston College would be a great game and time for the Cuse to handle there business easily and early to get some of the younger guys some playing time. Go Cuse!!!

Great post about where Cuse is at right now and really says it all. The game last night was a great example of how our offense can have a truly terrible night. Fair was all over the place in a bad way, Grant didn't know what to do with himself, Cooney couldn't put up a shot either. Grant needs to get back to his inside play, could of used him last night. Sometimes Cooney is off, and Fair tends to show up when we need him too but sometimes that's not enough. As you said I would love to see Ennis take it inside more, against BC would be a great game to kind of get that under him, although I respect him as a true PG.

But our defense showed up as usual so I am not going to hate too much, as I watched the game last night I felt we didn't deserve to win. Grant needs to get away from the 5 and we need Keita back. With that said we found a way to win again, and with a 10-2 run against Pitt in the final minutes after another tough offensive game, we did it again last night. Love this team, top 5 for sure.

Malibu

PEACE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great post about where Cuse is at right now and really says it all. The game last night was a great example of how our offense can have a truly terrible night. Fair was all over the place in a bad way, Grant didn't know what to do with himself, Cooney couldn't put up a shot either. Grant needs to get back to his inside play, could of used him last night. Sometimes Cooney is off, and Fair tends to show up when we need him too but sometimes that's not enough. As you said I would love to see Ennis take it inside more, against BC would be a great game to kind of get that under him, although I respect him as a true PG.

But our defense showed up as usual so I am not going to hate too much, as I watched the game last night I felt we didn't deserve to win. Grant needs to get away from the 5 and we need Keita back. With that said we found a way to win again, and with a 10-2 run against Pitt in the final minutes after another tough offensive game, we did it again last night. Love this team, top 5 for sure.

Great post as well.

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yikes; I'm Just not there. The "Cuse", if that team wants to be considered the best out there can not play a team like NC St, at home, and expectsus to appreciate a great come back???even Jonvi should be horrified at that level of play.....Man-up and get out there and beat the hell out of teams that you are supposed to beat. I'm going to keep it real. Syracuse is damn lucky to have won the last two games; games that should have been won by 10 plus points. I can actually give a pass on Pitt because they know how to play your zone. That said, Pitt is not that great of a basketball team. NC ST...no way. IMO, Syracuse better change their ways or will lose to Duke and Virginia and losing to Virginia means losing the ACC...after a great start. here we are; Syracuse should have lost the last two games and what would be their ranking....8,9,10???? As it is, Syracuse wins and is still NR 1. If that excellent group of players can not focus on each game, maybe they are not so excellent.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Syracuse is damn good. There's no denying it. By playing that zone it sometimes affords teams like NC State an opportunity to play a tight contest against them. A few bad shots, lack of rebounding, etc., will keep a team like State close with a chance to win. Don't read too much into that game. What JB has to worry about is doing that in the Tourney. UVA is in serious contention for a regular season title if they knock off the Cuse and get some help as the Orange run the away road gauntlet. But even with a couple losses I can't see them dropping out of the Top 5. Duke has 5 losses and they're up to #5. Kansas has 6 losses at #8. We're at a point in the season where the Cuse can afford a couple losses and still maintain their ranking inside the Top 4 with a #1 seed looming. (That's my jedi mind trick working I hope:nod:).

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Syracuse is damn good. There's no denying it. By playing that zone it sometimes affords teams like NC State an opportunity to play a tight contest against them. A few bad shots, lack of rebounding, etc., will keep a team like State close with a chance to win. Don't read too much into that game. What JB has to worry about is doing that in the Tourney. UVA is in serious contention for a regular season title if they knock off the Cuse and get some help as the Orange run the away road gauntlet. But even with a couple losses I can't see them dropping out of the Top 5. Duke has 5 losses and they're up to #5. Kansas has 6 losses at #8. We're at a point in the season where the Cuse can afford a couple losses and still maintain their ranking inside the Top 4 with a #1 seed looming. (That's my jedi mind trick working I hope:nod:).

That's interesting and I respect your perspective...need a little expansion on how "that zone sometimes affords teams like NC ST and opportunity to play a tight contest"{.As I stated above; had Syracuse lost to Pitt and NC St., I suspect those losses this late in the year, would have put them in the 8-10 range. They didn't lose, so if they lose to Duke and Virginia, IMO they still are out of the top 5. I'm wondering what we will be saying a week from now. I agree that one loss still keeps them in a NR1 seed...not so sure about two losses.

CoolStoryBro

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yikes; I'm Just not there. The "Cuse", if that team wants to be considered the best out there can not play a team like NC St, at home, and expectsus to appreciate a great come back???even Jonvi should be horrified at that level of play.....Man-up and get out there and beat the hell out of teams that you are supposed to beat. I'm going to keep it real. Syracuse is damn lucky to have won the last two games; games that should have been won by 10 plus points. I can actually give a pass on Pitt because they know how to play your zone. That said, Pitt is not that great of a basketball team. NC ST...no way. IMO, Syracuse better change their ways or will lose to Duke and Virginia and losing to Virginia means losing the ACC...after a great start. here we are; Syracuse should have lost the last two games and what would be their ranking....8,9,10???? As it is, Syracuse wins and is still NR 1. If that excellent group of players can not focus on each game, maybe they are not so excellent.

I stated top 5 for a reason and I also clearly said we didn't deserve the win, because we didn't. I agree with your post, I don't see how you could of got the impression I wasn't being realistic with what I said?

Anyway, The last four games we have shot 38 % from the field! HORRIBLE is an understatement. We should have split those games the way we played. Absolutely am worried for @Duke and @Virginia but so should anyone. I also know Cuse on a good night can and will beat anyone at home or away, that's a fact. The kids have let the 25-0 get to to their head, lost their legs due to 5 guys with a little relief from G. Grant is out of place at the 5, Fair needs to find his way, Ennis needs to hit the rim harder and Coo eye needs to stay consistent.

Your rit they do need to get their shit together I totally agree. The defense they place is outstanding and has allowed us to win out these past four games being 38 percent from the field. Somehow playing like such shit we were still able to win, that says something. These team has done much more than I would have ever expected and am happy with their year so far. Curious for the a Duke and Virginia game, I believe we split.

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I stated top 5 for a reason and I also clearly said we didn't deserve the win, because we didn't. I agree with your post, I don't see how you could of got the impression I wasn't being realistic with what I said?

Anyway, The last four games we have shot 38 % from the field! HORRIBLE is an understatement. We should have split those games the way we played. Absolutely am worried for @Duke and @Virginia but so should anyone. I also know Cuse on a good night can and will beat anyone at home or away, that's a fact. The kids have let the 25-0 get to to their head, lost their legs due to 5 guys with a little relief from G. Grant is out of place at the 5, Fair needs to find his way, Ennis needs to hit the rim harder and Coo eye needs to stay consistent.

Your rit they do need to get their shit together I totally agree. The defense they place is outstanding and has allowed us to win out these past four games being 38 percent from the field. Somehow playing like such shit we were still able to win, that says something. These team has done much more than I would have ever expected and am happy with their year so far. Curious for the a Duke and Virginia game, I believe we split.

Last para; if you split...I call that a win. That said, I'm surprised that you indicated the players are simply too tired to perform. IMO, lots of teams do just fine with 6 players and when your defense is zone, that's a good thing. At any rate, Keita will be back and we will then see if the team responds.