• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOfficial Hokie Check-In thread

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have a ton of new posters and this place has lit up sonce it first started. That is awesome, so I figured I would start a thread where people can kind of introduce themselves. Tell us if you are a current or former Hokie, or a parent or fan or whatever. Let people know where you re from or the years that you were at Tech or whatever you want to share.

I will start.

I graduated with my BS in 2001 and my MS in 2004. My father and grandfather were both Hokies as well (1943 and 1964, Company K). I am from Norther Virginia. basically I grew up a Hokie fan because of my family and think college football is the end all be all of sports. Right now I live in Pittsburgh.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I graduated from VT in 2010. My sister graduated from there in 2007. I actually did not like VT at all growing up. I hated the fact they played a patsy Big East schedule and then raved about how great they were. I started to like them more when they joined the ACC and I got older and understood the game more and could appreciate what they continued to do in the ACC. After moving my sister in for her freshman year I really started to like them more. I decided to go transfer there my sophomore year from UNCW and fell in love with the place. I like VT more for the people there and the atmosphere than just for a winning football team. That is just a plus. I live in Richmond now.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I graduated from VT in 2010. My sister graduated from there in 2007. I actually did not like VT at all growing up. I hated the fact they played a patsy Big East schedule and then raved about how great they were. I started to like them more when they joined the ACC and I got older and understood the game more and could appreciate what they continued to do in the ACC. After moving my sister in for her freshman year I really started to like them more. I decided to go transfer there my sophomore year from UNCW and fell in love with the place. I like VT more for the people there and the atmosphere than just for a winning football team. That is just a plus. I live in Richmond now.

The people at VT definitely make a huge difference. It is kind of funny because I run the gambit of ages at games. There is no better atmosphere than a gameday in the fall. I started going to a game or two every year as a little kid with my parents and I used to love running through the lots and having the cool older college kids giving me high fives and throwing the football to me.

Then, when I was a student, we were that "cool older college kids" messing with the kids and high fiving everyone. I remember giving a kid the t-shirt that they gave us before our first ACC game while I was waiting down by the field at the end of the game for some of my friends. His eyes just lit up and I knew he would likely wear that shirt (regardless how big it was) every day to school for the next few weeks. His Dad had this big smile on his face and shook my hand and thanked me. It was really cool.

Now I am the alumni that invites the poor college kids over to my taigate and give them food and the such.

Hokie Nation truly is a family and the atmosphere is great. That is what sets it apart to me.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Graduated in 07, should have been 05, but switched majors pretty late in the game. first gen Hokie in my family...dad ran track at Miami so those games are fun, though he is a Hokie fan through and through now. From Chesapeake VA, now living on the Eastern Shore of VA where ive been since summer 07

Last edited by a moderator:

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Born in Clifton Forge, VA. Graduated from Tech for the first time in 1973, and for the second time in 1975. Lived in Blacksburg for seven years and never thought I'd leave. But, I left Blacksburg to serve in the US Navy from 1976 until 1981, primarily as a Naval Gunfire Liaison Officer for the Marines at Camp Pendleton, CA. Have lived in, or traveled through, every state in the Union but Alaska and Hawaii. I've also been as far north as the Canadian Rockies; as far south as Mexico; and as far east as Italy, Spain, the Majorcan Islands, and France. Have been a Tech fan since 1967 when my great-uncle who graduated in 1909 first began talking to me about going to school at Tech. I was fortunate enough to see the Tech-FSU National Championship Game in the Dome in New Orleans, and I hope to be able to see the next one in person. Have lived in Alabama since 1990.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The people at VT definitely make a huge difference. It is kind of funny because I run the gambit of ages at games. There is no better atmosphere than a gameday in the fall. I started going to a game or two every year as a little kid with my parents and I used to love running through the lots and having the cool older college kids giving me high fives and throwing the football to me.

Then, when I was a student, we were that "cool older college kids" messing with the kids and high fiving everyone. I remember giving a kid the t-shirt that they gave us before our first ACC game while I was waiting down by the field at the end of the game for some of my friends. His eyes just lit up and I knew he would likely wear that shirt (regardless how big it was) every day to school for the next few weeks. His Dad had this big smile on his face and shook my hand and thanked me. It was really cool.

Now I am the alumni that invites the poor college kids over to my taigate and give them food and the such.

Hokie Nation truly is a family and the atmosphere is great. That is what sets it apart to me.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to make it back up for a game and won't be able to this year either. Luckily I was able to watch every game last year on some form of broadcast ranging from local stations picking it up to ESPN3.
Sadly we don't have ESPN3 anymore so if anyone knows a website that streams games please PM that info.

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Breaking News.....I did not attend VT at any time (well other than games and parties). I know this is shocking news to you all ;)

I was a HS Soccer player and had some scholarship offers so I followed that instead of going to VT. I grew up in Roanoke so I was always a fan and had season tickets for a while. I now live in Newport News.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Raised in Franklin County and currently reside in Henry County. My eldest brother graduated from VT in 1996 with his BS in Mechanical Engineering and I followed suit with my BS in 2003 and MS in 2008.

After interviewing with a Homeland Security company for the better part of a year, I was set to take the job two weeks after my last summer session class to finish my MS in 2005. That job fell through at the last minute due to the CEO basically bribing a congressman for defense contracts and I needed to find a job as I had put all my eggs in one basket. My sister-in-law told me about a math teacher position that was open and I interviewed the week before school began. I figured I would look to return to engineering after that first year, but I really enjoyed what I was doing and have been there ever since. I'm currently starting my 7th year and will be teaching AP Calculus, DE Trig, and Geometry this year.

Loved attending VT games while a student, but rarely get the opportunity to go now. However, I do throw some pretty good parties on gameday that consists of breaking out the BBQ smoker, grill, and plenty of beer.

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Growing up I really didn't get alot of exposure to college athletics, etc. Mom went to William & Mary and my dad went to a private school in North Carolina. My aunts / uncles all went to UVa so I kind of grew up with knowing more about UVa than any other university in the state of Virginia.

It wasn't until my junior year of highschool that I checked colleges and decided to go to a VT game with a friend (parents are golden Hokies) and I just fell in love with the campus and environment. I tried to do the same at UVa a couple of times and each time I left thinking wow, I had family that went there?

I went back again to VT my senior year when I was 18 and we were all on our way to a football game and some hot drunk chick fell down and I helped her back up and she just laid a smacker of a kiss on me. That pretty much sealed the deal for me. Now I am 37, married to a beautiful wife, love to party still and try and get down to 1-2 games a year. I know alof of these guys that post here from the good ole' ESPN days (back when the VT / ACC Boards were populated with new threads each day). Also once I attended VT, my brother, cousins and other extended family went there as well.

Mind Erasers, VT football, college football, and Carl Weathers

Dislikes:
Warm beer, Old People Driving, CavMan, Zima (and other limp wristed drinks) and arrogant Europeans (they are smug just like UVA fans)

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I graduated in December of 2006 with a BS in Aerospace Engineering. My wife, brother, and cousin are also recent graduates, and are proudly the first generation of Hokies in our family. In addition to an excellent education, I have years of friendships, adventures, and life lessons gained from my time in Blacksburg. Virginia Tech has become part of who I am, and the athletics teams are an exciting bonus. My wife and I were both born and raised in a small town in the Shenandoah Valley, and currently live in the Richmond area.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
My sister-in-law told me about a math teacher position that was open and I interviewed the week before school began. I figured I would look to return to engineering after that first year, but I really enjoyed what I was doing and have been there ever since. I'm currently starting my 7th year and will be teaching AP Calculus, DE Trig, and Geometry this year.

Both of my parents were teachers and they both retired from a profession they loved. You're doing good work preparing our kids for the future! Hope you continue to like what you're doing!

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am I the only Non-VT Grad here?

No sir, you are not alone. I've attended games at VT since I was about 5 with family and wanted to go there badly. I was put on the waiting list, however, while others from my high school with lower GPAs and lower class rank made it through (don't ask me how or why).
So rather than wait, I went to Emory & Henry for my degree. Have continued to go to VT games ever since. I also live near Fancy Gap (Coach Beamer's hometown). My uncle played high school ball with Frank. He is such a great guy and always fun to talk as he has a great sense of humor. I have nothing but utmost respect for what he has done for not only the football program, but the school as a whole.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Unlike many of you, i never actually attended VT. I became a fan by living in the area and growing up going to games. I went to my first VT game in diapers and have been a hokie (at heart) ever since. My entire family grew up rooting for VT and my great grandpa (now deceased) had been going to games before there were even tickets. My grandfather has had season ftball tickets since they built lane and had season basketball tickets from '64-2000. I have been to just about every home game for the past 25 years and countless road and bowl games over the same time span. I also have a family tie to coach Beamer, which is another reason i love VT. My family was friends with Bill "moose" Mathews so as a young child i got a few "behind the scenes" looks @ VT (which made me fall in love with the place/program even more).

FWIW: it was my life long dream to attend VT, but in HS my mind was everywhere but in the books.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Orginally from Roanoke (played high school football with Tiki and Ronde at Cave Spring). Graduated from VT in 1999 with BSCE degree. Currently live and work in Raleigh. Die-hard Hokie fan.....usually make it to 3 to 5 football games per year.

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Orginally from Roanoke (played high school football with Tiki and Ronde at Cave Spring). Graduated from VT in 1999 with BSCE degree. Currently live and work in Raleigh. Die-hard Hokie fan.....usually make it to 3 to 5 football games per year.
I went to CS for 2 years then they opened up the new HS and I went there...I was at CS when JJ Was playing

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I went to CS for 2 years then they opened up the new HS and I went there...I was at CS when JJ Was playing

Saw JJ and Cave Spring take on Mount Airy High School (N.C.) one time. It was absolutely sick to watch him shoot at the HS level. I remember one time, he shot a turnaround jumper from darn near halfcourt and swished it.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got you all beat, graduated 3 months ago haha... originally from pittsburgh, my brother and i are the first generation of hokies in our family, unfortunately my sister went further south to GT (lol).. i HATE penn st. and pitt was too close, after that VT is one of the closer real schools haha.. now i'm out in california so the outlook for another game in blacksburg looks bleak.. but i'll definitely have my eyes on the opening marquee games in real cities (a la cincy at fedex next year), the GT game this fall, and the pitt game next season

Lets Go Hokies!

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was long gone before they built the new high school. JJ had twin sisters that I believe were a grade below me that I remember....I think they later played b-ball at Campbell U. I went and saw JJ and CaveSpring play against Oak Hill Academy back when JJ was either a freshman at CS or maybe even an 8th grader playing for varsity. He was pretty amazing to watch even then.