• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOfficial Coaching "Search" Thread

Skerpokes

Calmer Than You Are
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have Twitter. I think I've had it for a couple of years now. For the life of me I can't figure it out. I've been trying to follow it lately, but it's not working out very well. I've resigned myself to getting the latest news from you fuckers on here. So, don't fuck it up.

Here's a news flash for ya:

Crayton blows

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
'The Waiting Is The Hardest Part' - Tom Petty

Sung by Nick Bahe on the radio today.

Don't quit your day job, Nick.

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have Twitter. I think I've had it for a couple of years now. For the life of me I can't figure it out. I've been trying to follow it lately, but it's not working out very well. I've resigned myself to getting the latest news from you fuckers on here. So, don't fuck it up.
LoL it is crazy, it iiss like you get 15-25 peoples thoughts as they have them and then they also retweet other stuff. that is why i only have 15-20 people i follow which are alll sports guys only 1 is from florida and all the rest are major in the know guys. Im still not sure how to tweet or what t havve ya or if when i reply to a tweet how that works ive done it but not sure what it is actually doing. get one of them in here who have been tweeting ttheiir eentire adult life to explain it :D

only thing i know is the more people you follow the more random thougghts you will have to siift through keyboard iss messing up think i need new batteries

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LoL it is crazy, it iiss like you get 15-25 peoples thoughts as they have them and then they also retweet other stuff. that is why i only have 15-20 people i follow which are alll sports guys only 1 is from florida and all the rest are major in the know guys. Im still not sure how to tweet or what t havve ya or if when i reply to a tweet how that works ive done it but not sure what it is actually doing. get one of them in here who have been tweeting ttheiir eentire adult life to explain it :D

only thing i know is the more people you follow the more random thougghts you will have to siift through keyboard iss messing up think i need new batteries
Yup, that's how I do it. Maybe 20 people, all sports people who I listen to on the radio or read in the paper.

I had another account with a lot of people from this site on it, but have no idea how to find it now.

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"I'm told it is now all but imminent he will be leaving UCF and accepting the Nebraska job as early as Saturday night, following UCF's AAC title game against Memphis," Bass reported at Knights247. "Staffers close to Frost have already begun the process of cleaning out their desks and finalizing paperwork in preparation of a move.

"UCF people are beginning to accept the fact that Frost is all but gone after this week. I've also heard (athletic director) Danny White is in the preliminary stages of vetting potential candidates to replace Frost."

Frost: It would be 'hard to leave' UCF as rumors run rampant
UCF head coach Scott Frost addressed Monday's coaching rumors the only way he knows how: with full-fledged honesty.
Ryan Bass | UCF 247 Sports

“Janitors” – are not really Janitors. They are members of the staff in some shape or form, but obviously need to remain anonymous.

UCF head coach Scott Frost addressed Monday's coaching rumors the only way he knows how: with full-fledged honesty.

The No. 15 Knights are preparing to host No. 20 Memphis on Saturday for the American Athletic Conference Championship and potentially a spot in a New Year's Day bowl, and while the first group of questions were about UCF's game prep for the Tigers, the dialog quickly turned to Frost and his future at UCF.

Nebraska has ramped up its pursuit of Frost, a national-championship winning quarterback for the Huskers, and there's speculation he will likely leave the Knights for his alma mater following Saturday's game.

Frost was asked about the rumors and was candid, to say the least

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let’s just say I have two janitors that I consider the best of all of them for this hiring process.

One told my yesterday (Sat) AM that Frost’s side agreed in principle to the contract that was submitted. “Deal is done, Frost is in.”

On Friday afternoon, the other had said “We are extremely close to it being done.” This janitor is also someone that is savvy enough to not say “oh it’s for sure done” until it’s gone public and signed. Just their nature. This janitor is also the one who told me 70/30 earlier in the week and would definitely know. So the fact that it’s progressed from 70/30 to that quote, in a matter of 72 hours or so, is quite telling.

A third source told me last night that Frost wanted to wait until Sunday (not sure if today or next Sunday). Moos has been pressing on a Yes/No since last Tuesday, because he wants to wrap this shit up as fast as possible. Both sides apparently agreed on yesterday (Saturday the 25th). Allegedly Frost’s side accepted late Friday night (24th). Take that FWIW but it would explain why my contract source said it progressed and accepted yesterday AM.

Some other tidbits in the last 24 hours:

I know the Justin Fuente stuff has legit legs and that Matt Davison and Frost camp are well-aware of it.

Frost has told a couple people with Neb ties “we gotta talk soon.”

It will be interesting to see how quickly Jimbo Fisher bolts from FSU and how that affects the landscape.

From a board member talking with a guy on UCF’s staff, it seems that Tennessee is an X-Factor. Recruiting territory is at the top of SF’s factor list. Obviously this is a moot point since Tenn is somehow hiring Schiano today.

John Parrella has been really cool and collected on Fri night and Saturday AM. He seems like he knows he’ll be around or is indifferent.

Williams duo are trying to package themselves together as leverage to stick around

I was told that Zac Taylor, Assistant wide receivers coach for LA Rams, was allegedly contacted about returning to Lincoln in some capacity.

James Harris has contacted a couple Nebraska connections and asked about Lincoln. After leaving Lincoln, he was Chief of Staff for Kelly with the Eagles and before that with Univ of Oregon. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Chip bring him to UCLA though.

I was told that our Admin is in favor of not paying out all the buyouts right away as they’ll lower over time with guys taking other jobs, etc.

Hawks made a call this weekend to Terry Kroeger (publisher) at the OWH essentially to say go all in Frost pieces because you owe us for publishing that article that was critical on the coaching buyout costs as well as for allowing SE to pen his farewell article of achievement in the paper.
TD note: This is not the first time I’ve heard about Hawks playing puppet with the OWH. I know he was driving the anti-Riley critical pieces that started early in the season.

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After all the team sport coaches' complaints to Moos on Boyd Epley, I think he’ll be one of the first to be shown the door.

Recent Dan Mullen thoughts on the type of job he’d be interested in:

He wants a division he can easily win in that is in the P5. He’s a long-shot every year in murderer’s row in SEC West. Tennessee is not in play because of who they have to play cross-division every year. The only fit then is Florida due to their weak schedule they play every year and avoiding playing Alabama is key. They play Bama in 2014 and 2021 in the 10-yr run from 2014-2024

If we recall prior updates on MSU and Mullen, his biggest gripe was paying assistants more to retain them in Starkville. He’d constantly have key assistants poached off by bigger programs. Example: that vaunted Miami defense... who is the coordinator there? Manny Diaz... who has made not one, but two stops through Starkville on his way to other jobs that paid him much more. He landed there the second time after being fired by Texas. The first time he had been at Middle Tennessee. Manny lasted one year each time before getting big paychecks. Given the turnover on the staff, Dan's success there at MSU is simply impressive.

Who was the AD that kept such a strict budget on the salary pool? Stricklin, who left for Florida and now is apparently close to hiring Mullen there.

My giant update Friday AM on the situation has shook free some more info.

Some of the BOR were catching flack after the OWH put in big print the $16.9 worth of buy outs on their front page.

With the recent past of hires and fires, the “rare 7 year offer and the money being requested by Frost for assistant coaches were a sticking point" with some folks involved in the discussions.

I was told that Hawks is adamant on Frost AND the 7 years, even if it all gets to a money level deemed “ridiculous.” He apparently will personally pay the buyouts AND the extra 2 years on Frost’s contract if necessary. As of Thursday, most but not all the sticking points had been agreed to in principal.

I’m still told it’s Frost 7 years/$30mm, plus there is money coming his way that is under the table and off the books.

Frost has apparently asked for multiple 3-year contracts to some assistant coaches and rumor is he wants a 4th year for one AC. I was told the assistant coaches salary pool demand was north of $5mm. Between $5 and $5.5mm. The 2017 assistant coaches pool was $3.87mm, most in Husker program history.

I’ve been told that there is immense confidence in regaining booster money into the talent acquisition coffers to levels not seen at Nebraska. Since Solich’s Colorado and Rose Bowl games, there has been a slow, if not rapid drip, of the booster money faucet going dry. That apparently would change with Frost returning to Lincoln.

For the first time in 20 years, all of the major Admin/political players are in alignment on what needs to happen.
Let's just hope that Frost can deliver on the field, but it definitely won't be because of any behind-the-scene political issues that have plagued the past coaches.

As another said, “from a unified front standpoint, SF is going to be the first coach since TO to start on 3rd base instead of 0-2 in the count like his predecessors. All resources will be at his disposal with no roadblocks.

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MR was a great guy, he just started off with both hands tied behind his back and on one leg because of SE and HP. He’s unfortunately going to become a casualty of the toxic environment that has been in place at the AD for quite some time.

The new power group on campus centers on the Moos, Bounds, Pillen trio with Hawks acting in a pseudo chairman emeritus role. Friends and supporters argue this is the key reason to be optimistic for where NU can go in the next few years. You’ve got four individuals in charge that all have built very successful organizations (private industry and university/athletics) working together. They all are incredibly savvy at sizing up situations and individuals quickly and then moving swiftly with action.

Others confirmed the frustration surrounding money sitting on the sidelines. It stems from a lot of reasons. The Hawks and Pillen crowd/connections obviously are pretty deep throughout the state. A lot of it went away when Frank was fired (although I don't quite understand as Frank was not getting the job done and change was needed - it probably had more to do with the shock to the system, as NU had never been through firing of a coach after the stability of TO and Devaney).
The powers to be tried to re-surface it in the Cally era, but shell shock was still around after Frank's firing. It stayed dormant under Harvey for a multitude of reasons ranging from his negative viewpoint of the football program (wanted the academic side to be more important than football) to his wasteful spending. “Basically if Harvey doesn't give a shit about football success, then we don't either.”

When new regents like Pillen were elected to the BoR, they were appalled at how Harvey would just spend money upfront, then ask for forgiveness and that didn't go unnoticed throughout the money community. Little stuff like when he built a building, he'd build the most expensive building and use the most expensive contractor. He would always gloss over the budget when pressed. Harvey basically had a group of "yes men" at the BoR level prior to new blood being elected after 2010. A collection of individuals that liked the prestige of being a BoR, but had no business being there and no business acumen. Hawks needed an ally and was growing old and tired of fighting the good fight versus Perlman.

Pillen in particular has re-energized him. Clare was never going to rock the boat as he had his sights set on the governor's chair. Pillen apparently went in there with nothing to lose and said things aren't running well, and I'm not going to be a yes man. The BoR began to hold Harvey accountable in terms of behaving like a responsible CEO with reasonable fiscal goals and spending habits. Harvey knew his reign was coming to an end. The final nail in the coffin was when Harvey and SE went dark after firing BP. The BoR wanted (to no avail) to let SE know that money was no object and that he had a blank check to shoot for the stars. They didn't necessarily want to micro-manage him, but rather let him know he had full support to spend.

I found it very telling which Regents did not/were not available to comment in the OWH article. There is a recent push to try and take business operations to a more private industry way versus how things have been done in the past. The Regents that keep speaking out (Daub for example) are being alienated.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/footbal...8b06a2cc6.html

Multiple Regents are not fans of Daub and especially his recent behavior. They think he’s a moron and that he causes way too many unnecessary problems for the BoR and NU. I would not be surprised to see someone encouraged, with ample political support, to run against Daub and challenge his seat. I would not take this as BoR trying to take things off the public record. Rather, that they’d prefer to stay out of the limelight if possible.

Many people in NU’s Admin have become miffed that Paul Meyers role was never replaced by SE after Paul left. Bounds and crew have been upset over the fact that NU had one of the best (nationwide) in donor relations get run out of town/thrown under the bus by Bo Pelini. Then to compound that, the AD never attempted to replace that competitive advantage.

Some other info:

Alcohol sales at PBA

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alcohol sales at PBA

I know Moos initially said he didn’t have any plans for alcohol sales inside the stadium at this time. I think that was an initial statement to not severely rock the local boat right out of the gate by Moos. Moos pushed hard for alcohol sales at WSU. Alcohol sales is definitely a topic that multiple BoR extremely disagree with TO on.

There is definitely being groundwork done behind the scenes on that front though. Besides consulting with Creighton’s AD, we’ve spent time with Ohio State’s Admin. to better understand how they handle alcohol sales at football games. Last year was Ohio State’s first year of having alcohol sales at football games.

It isn’t necessarily a revenue factor, more so they are looking at it from a perspective of improving the game day experience and preventing apathy that is slowly encouraging fans to stay home and watch. There is great concern that it is becoming easier and easier for the younger fans and casual fans to skip going to football and basketball games in lieu of watching on TV (or not watching all together). If alcohol sales can help boost the environment and attract more people to the live events, it’s definitely on the table. NU officials were both wowed by Ohio State’s in game football presentation and the fan environment.

If I had to bet, we’ll see alcohol sales rolled out at PBA in the next couple of years as a testing ground for a big rollout at Memorial Stadium.

Basketball:

I was told by Admin janitors that Miles is a dead man walking. His schedule the next six weeks is absurdly brutal and the early season losses to St. John’s (who finished last at 1-17 in the BE last year) and UCF have eliminated any margin for error. It’ll be interesting to see what direction they go with a replacement hire.

I do know that during the AD hiring process, Bounds and Green went over the potential scenario to talk strategy on the likelihood on replacing 2-3 major men sport’s coaching staffs in an AD’s first two calendar years. So Moos knew what he could potentially (and likely) be trusted to take on after coming to tow

"Every year in college football there's tough decisions to make," Frost told the media Monday during his weekly press conference. "Those kind of things happen. When the time's right, we'll make them.

"I know it would be really hard to leave this team because of how much love I have for this group of guys and how much effort they've given us. All I'm going to do is go back to my office and watch more film. This shouldn't be about me. I know the questions are going to come, but these guys have earned the right to have the conversation be about them and about the game they won on Friday and the game they're going to play this Saturday. This shouldn't be about me, the future or anything else, it should be about this group."

The next question centered on Nebraska's interest, and Frost didn't hold back his feelings.

"I'd be hurt if Nebraska wasn't interested in me," Frost said. "We're undefeated and I'm from there. When you win, a lot of people are interested in you, that doesn't matter. Like I said, what matters is these players and what they've accomplished. They deserve the focus to be on them and not me."

Frost said he has not addressed the rumors with his team.

"No, I don't even want to bring it up," Frost said. "I just want them to see me continue to work and do everything I can to help them finish this off. When they see that, they've been doing the exact same thing."

He went on to say his loyalties are with UCF.

"I'm a loyal guy. I'm loyal to my family and I'm loyal to the people that care about me. I'm loyal to this coaching staff. I'm loyal to these kids and I'm loyal to my alma mater, but I'm more loyal to the people I'm going to battle with every day...right now my loyalties are with these players."

Frost and his team have to try and ignore the distractions, with a massive game looming.

"This game is huge, and I want the guys to feel like this is the only one that matters and I know they will," Frost said. "Win or lose this game, this team has done something that I don't know has ever been done in college football history. If we don't come out on top on Saturday, I'll be devastated and so will they, but I know they'll look back on this season and realize how much they accomplished, but I don't even want to think about that because I want to go out on Saturday and get it done."

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HP52 - good stuff. no clue where you got it. i gave you "cake rewards", no clue what that means, but all that stuff just seemed like cake to me, good freaking cake to eat and stuff.

antone112

who gives a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,290.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
10a7e1110f9e03acb4c804cff5d824f6.jpg

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HP52 - good stuff. no clue where you got it. i gave you "cake rewards", no clue what that means, but all that stuff just seemed like cake to me, good freaking cake to eat en sech.

fify

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be honest it's from "a guy in the know" but usually pretty accurate and about a day early.

I am waiting for he news to break on Ronnie Green being fired. Something to do with not showing sympathy to a conservative party on UNL campus I don't have all the details and so far nothing has broke.

So I hear it through my cousin who hears it from a guy who possibly hears it from another guy so I just passed it along because I figure why the hell not.