• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOfficial B1G basketball thread.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maryland/MSU doing their best to 1 up each of the first 3 shit games. Wow.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan st passes way too much. they pass up open look after open look and end up shooting a tough shot against the shot clock

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this game wins worst officiated game ive seen all yr. whistlefest on a lot of iffy calls

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
something's telling me s'gonna be a long, aggravating season to be green

wiskyisgood12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said this in another thread. This John Groce coached Illini team feels a lot like a Bruce Weber coached Illini team. Very talented, but they play stupid/poorly at times.

Maryland is officially my pick to finish 2nd in the B1G. Dez Wells is only going to be get better, and Trimble can really go. They showed a lot of heart and toughness going in to East Lansing and getting a big win.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this game wins worst officiated game ive seen all yr. whistlefest on a lot of iffy calls

OK this was our first game in the BIG and I would not have come here to ask this question if my Terps had lost because that is lame. But Good God is the officiating going to be this bad? They fouled out our center, then later apologized because he only had 4 fouls. WTF?????

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK this was our first game in the BIG and I would not have come here to ask this question if my Terps had lost because that is lame. But Good God is the officiating going to be this bad? They fouled out our center, then later apologized because he only had 4 fouls. WTF?????

B1G officiating tends to blatantly favor the home team more than other conferences. This isn't just perception...if you track the data it is actually true. They'll be fairly consistent (ie, you'll get the boost when you are at home), and for the most part, they do a good job. I actually think the most used refs (Steratore, Wymer, Kitts, etc.) are some of the best in the business.

But yes, you should get used to all the close calls going to the home team. You'll live by it and you'll die by it, but that is the way it is.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wondering why they bothered to apologize...

:lol:

it was pretty cool, though, seeing the rarely-invoked You're New & Gullible - Bend Over and Give Us a Laugh ploy on family night.

sucks that the Izzone weren't there last night...their premature shot clock countdowns usually account for a couple of rushed/missed shots.

none of it matters. yall prevailed...won your first B1G game on the road...welcome to the maelstrom.

:suds:

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
refs turned that game into an absolute mess from the second half on.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maryland fans were relieved to leave the ACC. Being the red headed step child to Duke and UNC was pathetic. "Carolina Refs" was the cry for 40 years. Now it's the same huh?

And by the way it wasn't all one sided. A huge foul that negated a break away and game ending dunk for MSU was not a foul at all, terrible missed call that saved the game for Maryland. Just looked like blatant incompetence.

By the way I'd like to apologize for that first half. That was the worst basketball I've seen in years. We can make baskets, honest.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Newbill's almost single-handedly keeping Penn State close to us. 25-23 Badgers right now, and Newbill has 13 on 6-6 shooting. The Newbill-Kaminsky matchup is probably the best two players in the B1G.

Trevler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And by the way it wasn't all one sided. A huge foul that negated a break away and game ending dunk for MSU was not a foul at all, terrible missed call that saved the game for Maryland. Just looked like blatant incompetence.

By the way I'd like to apologize for that first half. That was the worst basketball I've seen in years. We can make baskets, honest.
Didn't MSU call a timeout that negated the breakaway dunk?
Either team could have taken control and had a huge lead in that first half. MSU has to feel like they let one get away with their first half shooting.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to feel for Penn State...shooting 64% in the first half and losing 43-36. It's gonna take a lot to beat us with our offensive efficiency.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't MSU call a timeout that negated the breakaway dunk?
Either team could have taken control and had a huge lead in that first half. MSU has to feel like they let one get away with their first half shooting.

The play I"m talking about was a foul call on one of the MSU bigs in the final half minute of regulation. Guy went to the line, missed the first FT then made the 2nd that kept the game at 3 which allowed MD to tie it with their 3 with 2 seconds left. No call and it's a breakaway and a 4 point lead with 25 seconds to go.

Obviously agree about the first half. I was so frustrated that the Terps kept missing shots they always make, they should have been up by 20 at the half.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan has 8 points in 16 minutes in the second half against Purdue. Tough to believe it was only ten months ago that Wolverine fans were calling me stupid for saying Bo was a better coach than Beilein. How's that one working out?

I hope they enjoyed those two freakishly good years with Burke and Stauskas. Considering Beilein had 2 Sweet Sixteens in 20 D1 years, the Wolverines might not be back for a while.

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan has 8 points in 16 minutes in the second half against Purdue. Tough to believe it was only ten months ago that Wolverine fans were calling me stupid for saying Bo was a better coach than Beilein. How's that one working out?

I hope they enjoyed those two freakishly good years with Burke and Stauskas. Considering Beilein had 2 Sweet Sixteens in 20 D1 years, the Wolverines might not be back for a while.

I remember the conversation clearer. It was in regards to developing/recognizing talent. Beilein has had 5 players drafted in 2 years and doesn't recruit like one of the bluebloods. Ryan has had how many players drafted, ever? Beilein racked up two B1G championships, 3 NCAA appearances including an E8 and NCG, two B1G POYs and a Naismith Trophy winner, in 3 years. Bo Ryan?

A drop-off was certain this year for Beilein (he's rotating 4 freshmen at the 4 and 5 spots, DJ Wilson, the 5th freshman in that rotation has been out for a few weeks). Morgan graduated, Horford transferred and McGary left early so it what it is; rebuilding/developing. Beilein has a roster full of young 3 stars, led (more or less) by two 4 stars and a 3 star. It'll take a season to bounce back considering what was lost and the youth he's working with but this team is flat out shooting poorly and getting their asses kicked in the paint right now. I counted 7 missed lay-ups tonight...a few uncontested. Wtf.

Production from the wing has been most disturbing. But any coach, or player for that matter, with any Michigan hoops knowledge, knows to key in on LeVert (still doesn't have his hops back post foot surgery) and Irvin (still having issues putting the ball on the floor and creating his own shots). Force them to make bad shots or turn the ball over and Michigan tanks (exactly what's happened). Spike and Walton have had nagging injuries all year and can't run the point the way they're capable of running it. And there is no low post threat. Beilein's banking on perimeter play this year and it's been inconsistent. Aubrey Dawkins is developing faster than expected but more importantly, our bigs are not. We aren't going to take down teams with two 7 footers, a la Purdue. Chatman (highly touted 4 star high school prospect) at the 4 has struggled mightily as well, with both his defense and shooting. His game hasn't adjusted to this level yet, and he was supposed to fill GRIII's shoes, immediately.

Michigan has underwhelmed thus far (this season) but let me know when Ryan is able to lead Wisconsin to a national championship game. Shit, Ryan has a 7 footer that's been there 4 years, a 5 star 6'9" forward playing next to him, two senior guards and a decent PF in Hayes. Epic fail if he doesn't make something of that.

But enjoy the drop-off next season. It happens. :suds:

For your John Beilein scrapbook: :yahoo:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 69

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigans biggest issue right now is that while they have 3 very nice players, none of those 3 can consistently take over games or "get theirs" every night out. So they are prone to very poor games. Especially because the supporting cast just isn't ready.

That whole team will be back next year though so they should be real tough.

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ricky Doyle is coming around on PNRs and positioning himself better in the paint. He has a decent shot but gets winded and is still a liability at the line. He'll be the big man to emerge unless Beilein grabs a transfer or Teske (2016) develops right away. We've got another rifleman sitting out a year on the bench that'll fill a void next season. I'm not worried about Beilein and Michigan hoops going forward. There's enough talent to develop and more coming in. This year is just a step back. No biggie.

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigans biggest issue right now is that while they have 3 very nice players, none of those 3 can consistently take over games or "get theirs" every night out. So they are prone to very poor games. Especially because the supporting cast just isn't ready.

That whole team will be back next year though so they should be real tough.

It'll be interesting to see what happens because Beilein needs a spot for this man:

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_VgwfwCIEo[/ame]

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kWITE0vBaN4[/ame]

I believe Aubrey Dawkins makes a huge leap from freshman to sophomore. Kam Chatman has nowhere to go but up...