• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOfficial B1G basketball thread.

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams like Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, UNC, OSU, Mich, MSU that don't compete for the title EVERY year are underachieving. Teams like Iowa, Minny, ect, ect, ect who field decent teams do it because they find good players in the leftovers those schools didn't want and COACH them to be producers.

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The point is that Beilein can't be considered a great player developer when every star on his teams has been a major contributor (if not a star) from day one. Outside of Caris Levert, no one under Beilein has gone from <20 MPG to being a star. Let's look at average minutes played as Freshmen for starters under Bo versus under Beilein the last two years.

2014: Beilein=25.0, Bo=13.3
2013: Beilein=30.1, Bo=6.6

I could go on (the pattern will continue), but I think the point is clear. Michigan is a program that relies on guys coming in and playing well immediately. Wisconsin is a program which develops players. I'm not making an editorial statement on which style is better. All that I am saying is that Bo is a better and more proven player developer, just like Beilein is a more proven recruit analyzer.

...and this is exactly my point..

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The point is that Beilein can't be considered a great player developer when every star on his teams has been a major contributor (if not a star) from day one. Outside of Caris Levert, no one under Beilein has gone from <20 MPG to being a star. Let's look at average minutes played as Freshmen for starters under Bo versus under Beilein the last two years.

2014: Beilein=25.0, Bo=13.3
2013: Beilein=30.1, Bo=6.6

I could go on (the pattern will continue), but I think the point is clear. Michigan is a program that relies on guys coming in and playing well immediately. Wisconsin is a program which develops players. I'm not making an editorial statement on which style is better. All that I am saying is that Bo is a better and more proven player developer, just like Beilein is a more proven recruit analyzer.

Wisconsin may have had better depth (Beilein just recently started reeling in these 4 star freshmen) but a more accurate representation of player development would be production/minute from year 1 to 2 to 3, from 2007-2014 (Beilein's tenure) Wisconsin vs Michigan, not merely minutes per game. All that tells me is Coach X is playing upperclassmen Y hours. We have a different definition of player development. Now if Beilein's players weren't improving from year to year I think your point is valid but on the contrary it's the opposite.

Ryan took over a one year removed Final Four program in 2001 and has yet to get them back. Beilein took over a program that hadn't landed a berth in the NCAAs in 10 years, had them back in his second year and four years later in the national championship game. To me, the latter is coaching, recruiting, and player development. Beilein does not land a plethora of 5 stars....like Sam Dekker.

If you go through and look at the recruiting class averages (not the ranking because class sizes differ) between Wisconsin and Michigan over the last 7 years (depending on which recruiting site you pull your information from) you won't find a huge discrepancy...with the exceptions being 2013 and 2014. Beilein was turning shit into sugar long before last season. Nothing spectacular but good enough to reach the NCAAs and land a share of the B1G title. Without any top 10 5 star guys Beilein has Michigan in the national championship game and winning the B1G outright.

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To measure this thoroughly someone should plug in the average star ranking/player per program (all recruiting sites averaged out) then determine a value table for success (wins, team accolades, player accolades, player data/minutes played etc...) and determine who is qualified to win these coaching beauty contests.

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To measure this thoroughly someone should plug in the average star ranking/player per program (all recruiting sites averaged out) then determine a value table for success (wins, team accolades, player accolades, player data/minutes played etc...) and determine who is qualified to win these coaching beauty contests.

Miles would run away with it. He's at the Kentucky Derby finishing in the money while riding a 3 legged burro.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tonight's Games

7:00 PM (ET) ESPNU

Penn St........ (5-11)(14-15) 59
Northwestern (5-11)(12-17) 32

FINAL

(0/0)

9:00 PM (ET) ESPN

#24 Iowa.......... (9-7)(20-9)
#22 Michigan St (11-5)(22-7)

Michigan St (-5)

Me thinks Northwestern has thrown in the towel.

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got some hope, but I'm a realist.

There's a lot of bball left to play, irule. Nebraska is not a solid IN they are as barely in as you can get right now. There are only so many spots available and there could still be some auto-bid surprises. Teams that Nebraska's been needing to lose to get some space have been winning big games against ranked teams keeping themselves in the mix. There is still a weekend left to play and then conference tournaments. There are just a lot of teams that can make as good of a case as Nebraska.

RA, you just need to accept the fact that thee Huskers are making the tourney.

milesdealwithit.gif

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iowa in complete meltdown mode. Wow.

NDHoosier101

Reigning "Last to post" Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was a high quality take down.

Iowa gets their classlessness from their coach. In their past two away games Woodberry forearm shivered an IU player in the back of the head when he thought no one was looking and then they tackle a MSU player, nice.