• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOfficial 2018 Recruiting Thread

B_dub

Hoopla Cash
$ 547.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he was always sure. OU didn't offer him to begin with, so I think he's a lost cause to you guys.

Truth is Rising was the better prospect. Losing him was costly. I don't know if there's another quality prospect they can target this late in the process if they haven't already offered.
Going after the 2 cali kids apparently. Martinez has some ties Lincoln and recently decommited from Cal. Also offered Tanner McKee and already has a visit set up with OU. That kid is a stud. Ranked better than Rising actually, but I've yet to watch his film. Can't hurt getting him on campus at least ,but I'd gladly settle for either one.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going after the 2 cali kids apparently. Martinez has some ties Lincoln and recently decommited from Cal. Also offered Tanner McKee and already has a visit set up with OU. That kid is a stud. Ranked better than Rising actually, but I've yet to watch his film. Can't hurt getting him on campus at least ,but I'd gladly settle for either one.

Hate to tell you this......but McKee is expected to sign with Texas

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hate to tell you this......but McKee is expected to sign with Texas
You both realize that McKee is likely to go on a Mormon mission and will pretty much be able to sign with anyone he wants when he gets back, right?

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You both realize that McKee is likely to go on a Mormon mission and will pretty much be able to sign with anyone he wants when he gets back, right?

Yes, he's going to be gone for two years.

But his LOI will still be valid

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He doesn't have to sign one. He probably shouldn't, actually.

He probably should, actually

His options won't be good being away from football for two years. That's why he's going through this process now, so he has a spot where he wants to be without compromise

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He probably should, actually

His options won't be good being away from football for two years. That's why he's going through this process now, so he has a spot where he wants to be without compromise
There's nothing binding the school to him. If he does not enroll in classes he does not count against the limit.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's nothing binding the school to him. If he does not enroll in classes he does not count against the limit.

Exactly. But the LOI is valid if he enrolls.

He isn't going to find schools likely to chase after him if he's been out of the sport for two years over fresh recruits. So it makes little sense NOT to sign now with a school and coach that's aware of his situation. If he doesn't sign now, I'm fairly certain he can kiss a P5 offer goodbye

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He isn't going to find schools likely to chase after him if he's been out of the sport for two years over fresh recruits. So it makes little sense NOT to sign now with a school and coach that's aware of his situation. If he doesn't sign now, I'm fairly certain he can kiss a P5 offer goodbye
He seems to be doing just fine now, and everyone is aware of his mission. Why lock in to one school, who could recruit over him, when he doesn't have to?

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He seems to be doing just fine now, and everyone is aware of his mission. Why lock in to one school, who could recruit over him, when he doesn't have to?

Because there won't be an offer when he gets back.

I don't know how you don't understand or realize this. There is NO question he'll be recruited over if he does NOT sign now.

NO coach of a decent program is going to take a kid out of football for two years over a kid that's currently playing with no rust.

This isn't this hard to get. He has offers in hand NOW. Coaches know he's leaving and are still willing to offer NOW. There is ZERO chance he gets those same offers in two years.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because there won't be an offer when he gets back.

I don't know how you don't understand or realize this. There is NO question he'll be recruited over if he does NOT sign now.

NO coach of a decent program is going to take a kid out of football for two years over a kid that's currently playing with no rust.

This isn't this hard to get. He has offers in hand NOW. Coaches know he's leaving and are still willing to offer NOW. There is ZERO chance he gets those same offers in two years.
What's going to change in 2 years wrt people interested in him? They know he's going to be gone.

Beyond that, he has little guarantee of a scholarship even if he signs.

Why Top NCAA Recruits Shouldn't Sign National Letters of Intent | VICE Sports

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, he can't.

He can choose the school he wants NOW and have a guaranteed spot. That will not be the case in two years.

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's going to change in 2 years wrt people interested in him? They know he's going to be gone.

Beyond that, he has little guarantee of a scholarship even if he signs.

Not to mention, he can sign with anyone he wants when he gets back.

No, he can't.

He can choose the school he wants NOW and have a guaranteed spot. That will not be the case in two years.

Correct, starbigd... get locked-in with a guaranteed spot. Smart thing to do. Michigan State did exactly this with Mufi Hunt when he signed his LOI February 2015, even though Hunt was not going to enroll at Michigan State until Fall of 2017 because of his 2 year Mormon mission.

Mark Dantonio helps see Michigan State recruit Mufi Hunt off onto Mormon mission

Mufi Hunt, Taylorsville, Weak-Side Defensive End

But guess what happened?

Mufi Hunt injured his knee during his first mission year and couldn't continue to the second year of his mission obligation because Mormon mission work consists of walking all day long. So, the church allowed Hunt to end his mission prematurely which then enabled Hunt to enroll at Michigan State for classes in January of 2016 on full football scholarship!

Hunt redshirted the 2016 football season, and should be good to go for the 2017 season this Fall. He participated in Michigan State's Spring football.

Mufi Hill-Hunt Bio - Michigan State Official Athletic Site

Bulked-up Michigan State 2015 DE signee Mufi Hunt arriving on campus today

Probably no way Hunt would have gotten a scholarship offer from other schools after his knee injury which occurred on a hiking trip back home! But he has a schollie at Michigan State and should be ready for football this Fall.

Utah to Michigan State, Mufi Hill-Hunt takes long path to face BYU

:thumb:

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, he can't.

what is different with these cases as opposed to guys who have to prep and get pushed back a year?

you have to re-recruit those guys and they don't all re-commit. Has happened multiple times with VT. I always thought that if they didn't enroll that the LOI was essentially void.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The biggest issue is that you have a player that hasn't touched a ball or picked up a playback in two years...... And you have every coach in the state with a prospective player in your ear.

WHY would any program talk to him with quality prospects that are more prepared to play available?

A bird in hand gentlemen........ The kid has offers that are not guaranteed to be there in two years, what's a sane, rational reason for him to take such an unnecessary chance??? The coach and school are seeking to commit to him right now...... The smart.... Well really ONLY realistic option is to accept and sign an LOI this year before his trip

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, he can't.

Not to mention, he can sign with anyone he wants when he gets back.

What is the National Letter of Intent
Hmm...
Provision 7 – Declaring Your NLI Null and Void

This is a list of reasons your NLI could be not accepted by the University you have signed with.
4. Joining the Military or Church Mission – If you join the military or going on a church mission for 12 months or more after signing an NLI, you will be allowed to sign with another school without penalty.
Signing with a school is no more than a handshake agreement, it is not binding either way. The only binding part is that he cannot have contact with coaches from any other school if he signs a LOI, which wouldn't be a great idea if he is recruited over at his school of choice and wants to look elsewhere upon his return.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is false

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So......you all think that a coach is not going to honor the LOI when he returns or recruits over him?

What makes any of you think he's going to be highly sought after when he returns in the first place?

Any school he doesn't choose by default will recruit over him, that's a given. NOBODY is going to pursue him as anything other than a secondary option after two years of no football.

I can't believe I have to explain this.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So......you all think that a coach is not going to honor the LOI when he returns or recruits over him?

What makes any of you think he's going to be highly sought after when he returns in the first place?

Any school he doesn't choose by default will recruit over him, that's a given. NOBODY is going to pursue him as anything other than a secondary option after two years of no football.

I can't believe I have to explain this.
Any school is going to recruit over him period, including the school he signs with. What I am saying is that there is zero binding commitment either way so signing does nothing except limit who the prospect can talk to.