• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOfficial 2016 Bears Draft Thread

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Father time also tells us that Cutler has around 5-6 years left. 32 is not old for a QB.

However, I do agree that taking a QB early is a fine idea, if one falls to us that we really like and aren't just taking for the sake of it.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that we really like and aren't just taking for the sake of it.
This is what I'm saying... just this. I feel that many Bears fans are in the boat of We just need someone other than Jay.
I agree that we need to add depth and talent to the position room, and I don't like the idea of yet another scrub journeyman backup... I just don't think wasting the first pick on THESE guys is the right move. I know we can play the "what if" game all day- but I don't want to pass on a defensive player/O Tackle that can help THIS YEAR and the next 3+ for a guy who IMO probably wouldn't be drafted in the top 15 in other years.

Would you guys wanting a first round QB be satisfied if they took the next tier guy- say Pen State dude or Cook? in the 2nd... I still wouldn't be thrilled...but I think I'd live with that.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is what I'm saying... just this. I feel that many Bears fans are in the boat of We just need someone other than Jay.
I agree that we need to add depth and talent to the position room, and I don't like the idea of yet another scrub journeyman backup... I just don't think wasting the first pick on THESE guys is the right move. I know we can play the "what if" game all day- but I don't want to pass on a defensive player/O Tackle that can help THIS YEAR and the next 3+ for a guy who IMO probably wouldn't be drafted in the top 15 in other years.

Would you guys wanting a first round QB be satisfied if they took the next tier guy- say Pen State dude or Cook? in the 2nd... I still wouldn't be thrilled...but I think I'd live with that.

Cook is train wreck, no thanks.

If Wentz somehow falls to us, and we take him at #11. I would not complain. I think Wentz is a very good prospect.

I think there is very few teams who shouldn't take a QB they feel could be a franchise guy. You can say "He can't help us for a few years" all you want. However, if it means having the QB position solidified for 10+ years when his time does come, that's a hell of a draft pick.

3+ years is being pretty optimistic as well, not age-wise for Cutler, but performance-wise. He still has to continue to make progress in year two in this offense to earn his keep for the duration of his contract with Pace. If he regresses back to his 2014 ways, I think he gets dumped, as the guaranteed money would be all paid up in his contract. We'd take no cap hit.

I hope he plays well, and I honestly think he's going to have the best year of his career. I just think with this defense we seem to be putting together, that is very young at that. I'd hate to see Pace and Fox's work in these past two off-seasons go to waste if Cutler doesn't cut it. I'd love to see a plan B in place with a young QB. If Pace feels Wentz is a guy who can lead a franchise, I'm all for taking him.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But look at it this way, Jay has never, never been pushed by anything close to competition for the starting job here in chicago, even after 20 plus interception years. The one guy that thought he had a chance was Campbell, and Jay decided to have no relationship with him. Picking a QB at 11 and having your man beat him out each year over the next three years will help you prove your GOAT arguments. It really does not matter if they win any playoff games, as long as Jay is the quarterback for you. Why not let Jay prove he deserves your worship as you try to convert all the haters, by actually attempting to push this guy instead of making sure you do not agitate him by bringing in someone that might actually be a better fit? Are you worried he wont handle it? I really dont know why you want to wait til Jay decides he is done and then start looking for a quarterback? Does that just help you also prove the GOAT argument when the team is rebuilding with a current draft pick?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm thinking Jay will be here for at least 2 more years maybe more. But injury's happen and to be able to bring in a young learning QB would speed up that learning possess. A few games per season and knowing if said QB shows promise for the future or not is important. We are putting a young team together and it will prime as Jay is retiring. I really like Cutty and hate the way the league views him. I would love to see him shine the next few seasons, but to not address the future would be a mistake.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[QUOTE="noonthirtyjoe, post: 8202799, member: 5333"

We gotta address the QB position Joey. Cutty is getting long in the tooth and we are putting together a young team with no QB of the future. Father time is undefeated. I don't think some 6th round QB is gonna do it. We need to make that sacrifice and spend a early pick on a guy that won't play for awhile. I hope we use our first round 20th pick on a QB. That's right I said 20th pick. You know why I said it.
][/QUOTE]

If we were to actually trade 1st Rd'ers with the Jets, Id be all for it.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wood... No worries, Man... I just think it's funny as the resident Cutler "nut hugger" that if I even glimmer the faintest of faint cues to the QB position...someone comments on it. (and you went RIGHT to it... right to the QB... no mention of my other picks)

I like Kevin Hogan, at a late 4th round pick. (higher than what he's projected) The drafting of a first round QB isn't something I think would be a good pick. FOR both reasons- A. We have Jay & B. I don't believe the guys that would be available are worth an 11 pick. NOW... if any of the three are still there when we pick in the 2nd round. By all means grab em... That...to me... is better value.

Its all good my friend.......

And I just don't understand why we would WASTE another late round pick on a qb.....It rarely works out and it never works out for us.Tired of that experiment.
I'm thinking if we wanna draft a late round qb,we it not make more sense to sign a backup thru freeagency?
Someone that would have some type f knowledge of playing in the NFL.......

But to tell you the truth,I tend to think they go rb before a qb.....But if one of the 3 are still there, they may pull the trigger.
And after our first pick,I usually quit caring who we draft.I still like to see the second pick, but if Ive never heard of the player, its just meh to me.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its all good my friend.......

And I just don't understand why we would WASTE another late round pick on a qb.....It rarely works out and it never works out for us.Tired of that experiment.
I'm thinking if we wanna draft a late round qb,we it not make more sense to sign a backup thru freeagency?
Someone that would have some type f knowledge of playing in the NFL.......

But to tell you the truth,I tend to think they go rb before a qb.....But if one of the 3 are still there, they may pull the trigger.
And after our first pick,I usually quit caring who we draft.I still like to see the second pick, but if Ive never heard of the player, its just meh to me.

I am just interested since there have been so many failures and the sense of a GM doing better job is who we get in the middle rounds. But thats me, and I would rather see them trade up to show they got their guy than to give us the BPA talk again. We had a chance to move up three places to grab our guy, it cost us next years third round pick and our 11th tells me they are pinpointing and taking chance away.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QUOTE- anotheridiot- But look at it this way, Jay has never, never been pushed by anything close to competition for the starting job here in chicago, even after 20 plus interception years.
True... NO OTHER team that had traded for and signed a guy to a $120M deal WOULD set up a competition, either. Does Flacco have competition? Who are Rivers, Eli, Big Ben, Ryan, Smith...backups? All similar contracts, plenty of interceptions... no camp QB competition either.

The one guy that thought he had a chance was Campbell, and Jay decided to have no relationship with him.
Who freakin cares if Jay has a relationship with a guy or not? He's had good relationships with lots of guys, and I'm positive all your coworkers don't like you either. Non-issue.

Picking a QB at 11 and having your man beat him out each year over the next three years will help you prove your GOAT arguments.
His leading in almost all Chicago QB stats prove my Chicago GOAT arguments. Numbers don't lie.

It really does not matter if they win any playoff games, as long as Jay is the quarterback for you.
Not true... they haven't won playoff games because of a lot of reasons. Defense, coaching, and lack of weapons early are first in my book. Jay hasn't had the team around him to get to the playoffs in recent years.

Why not let Jay prove he deserves your worship as you try to convert all the haters, by actually attempting to push this guy
This isn't high school. Pro Athletes are motivated by $ and pride, teammates, coaches, and a whole franchise counting on him to motivate him. Jay has $54+million reasons to workout, study film, get better. This notion of "Jay don't care" is idiotic.

instead of making sure you do not agitate him by bringing in someone that might actually be a better fit?
Fit? He's been named captain, has lead the team for years, and battled injuries to return earlier then expected many times... he doesn't fit? Who would be a better fit might I ask?

Are you worried he wont handle it?
Not even a little bit.

I really dont know why you want to wait til Jay decides he is done and then start looking for a quarterback?
Nah... he's only 33 not even close to done. And this draft doesn't have the guys I want.

Does that just help you also prove the GOAT argument when the team is rebuilding with a current draft pick?
We already established his GOAT status with facts. You just want anyone buy Jay... just admit it. :)

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QUOTE- anotheridiot- But look at it this way, Jay has never, never been pushed by anything close to competition for the starting job here in chicago, even after 20 plus interception years.
True... NO OTHER team that had traded for and signed a guy to a $120M deal WOULD set up a competition, either. Does Flacco have competition? Who are Rivers, Eli, Big Ben, Ryan, Smith...backups? All similar contracts, plenty of interceptions... no camp QB competition either.

It does not help your argument naming other underachieving quarterbacks who have not won lately as a comparison to prove why its healthy to have competition at every position. If you are crediting Eli for being the reason they won two superbowls, you are really lost.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It really does not matter if they win any playoff games, as long as Jay is the quarterback for you.
Not true... they haven't won playoff games because of a lot of reasons. Defense, coaching, and lack of weapons early are first in my book. Jay hasn't had the team around him to get to the playoffs in recent years.

While you praise them for getting rid of weapons like Brandon Marshall and Matt Forte.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But look at it this way, Jay has never, never been pushed by anything close to competition for the starting job here in chicago, even after 20 plus interception years. The one guy that thought he had a chance was Campbell, and Jay decided to have no relationship with him.

Another post that makes you just go; "What the hell are you talking about AI?" I swear you just make stuff up half of the time.

A) 20+ interceptions years? He had one in 09.

B) Campbell was NEVER at any point supposed to push Cutler for a starting job. What planet were you on in 2012? He was brought in because of the disaster that transpired in 09 with Hanie, after Cutler got injured and a promising season went to shit. Despite a defense that was dominant down the stretch. The only point of the Campbell signing, was that he was going to be a reliable backup if Jay got hurt again. Cutler was coming off his best season in 2011, along with 2013. It was actually the height of his popularity here in Chicago, and nationally.

C) This is a very odd running theme with you. The "Cutler chose not to have a relationship with (insert backup here)"... Where did you learn this? And what the heck does it have to do with anything we're talking about? You said that about Hanie as well, when both of them spoke of the exact opposite being the case. Please link me to one article where Campbell said anything bad about his relationship with Cutler.

Just odd how you continue to do this with Cutler. You literally make stuff up.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It does not help your argument naming other underachieving quarterbacks who have not won lately as a comparison to prove why its healthy to have competition at every position. If you are crediting Eli for being the reason they won two superbowls, you are really lost.

Ugh..

The quarterback position is not like other positions, AI.

A franchise QB is the team's leader. Last year, Jay had A TON of pressure on him coming into camp and he earned his keep for this season as a captain, and the team clearly started to look up to him with respect as the season went along.

He IS our QB this season, it's a fact. Both Pace and Fox have committed to him. If you ALL OF THE SUDDEN now just bring in someone, and tell the team; "We have an open competition for quarterback". It's going to stir up all kinds of bull shit. It's not a position you just want to poke a stick at and rile shit up. It's important that the organization shows they are confident in their QB that they have committed to.

Right now, Jay is the leader of this football team and it's important (especially with a young club) that this remains stable. To shake up the QB position for camp, is to shake up the entire house.

As I've said above, I'm for drafting a QB. However, what you're saying with competition is utterly silly. And how in the hell have those QB's underachieved? Big Ben, notably just had the best year of his career. Nearly led an injury riddled Steelers team past the SB champion Broncos in Denver in the divisional playoffs.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah... Rich said it better than I did.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another post that makes you just go; "What the hell are you talking about AI?" I swear you just make stuff up half of the time.

A) 20+ interceptions years? He had one in 09.

B) Campbell was NEVER at any point supposed to push Cutler for a starting job. What planet were you on in 2012? He was brought in because of the disaster that transpired in 09 with Hanie, after Cutler got injured and a promising season went to shit. Despite a defense that was dominant down the stretch. The only point of the Campbell signing, was that he was going to be a reliable backup if Jay got hurt again. Cutler was coming off his best season in 2011, along with 2013. It was actually the height of his popularity here in Chicago, and nationally.

C) This is a very odd running theme with you. The "Cutler chose not to have a relationship with (insert backup here)"... Where did you learn this? And what the heck does it have to do with anything we're talking about? You said that about Hanie as well, when both of them spoke of the exact opposite being the case. Please link me to one article where Campbell said anything bad about his relationship with Cutler.

Just odd how you continue to do this with Cutler. You literally make stuff up.

Well, if you two would just accept my points I would not have to keep repeating myself.

A) He would have gotten to 20 if he played all of 2015.

B) Jason Campbell was starting games for Washington and Oakland two years before he came to chicago. Jay had a bad injury in 2011, it was clear we needed a better backup. Maybe its just my deal that I do not think anyone told Campbell that he was not there to compete for playing time. They finally got the right guy with McCown, and he has the rare quality of accepting anyone on the roster was better than him.

C) I dont know what else to say. Lets see who the backup is and see if he is shown in the vicinity of Cutler when he is scrolling thru his computer on the sidelines after a three and out or off by himself like Hanie and Campbell were. If I can post during a game thread I will do a wheres waldo each time they show Jay on the sidelines by himself. Thats the only thing I go by, not what the announcers are telling me to look at. Maybe if you are sober enough during the game you can finally see what I am talking about. Lets shelve this til September.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah... Rich said it better than I did.

Yes he did. I know your blinders will never allow you to accept anything negative about him. You would make an excuse if he kicked a baby. I am just talking about what I see as a football player, you can follow him on twitter and instagram and give us the updates (which we have not gotten from you this off season) of Jay texting his new team mates to welcome them to show how great of a leader he is...

I will be impressed when he picks them up at the airport thanks.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5ngJzwU.gif

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
11. Vernon Hargreaves III - CB, Florida
41. Jason Spriggs - OT, Indiana

I kinda panicked at 41. Some good talent still on the board. Was ill-prepared for this.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read up on him. Seems like Grasu. Needs to strengthen up but has all the tools you look for. No ideal if he is worth a second pick or not ? I don't follow CB very much.