• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOffical all things Sterling thread

Do you agree with Jabbar

• Yes I agree

Votes: 18 85.7%
  • No I dont agree

Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since the bi-laws have been kept confidential for the last 50 or more years for the most part, JDM is not qualified to say with surety that the owners can't put him out. I do know this, however - that the franchise owner of any business has tangible and intangible assets. The intangible assets in this case would be the right to use the NBA to play games in the NBA and that asset can be removed if the guy refuses to sell the team.

I can see where they might have a problem with the Clippers being in a trust. I expect that the trust was set up for his wife and children - knowing he wouldn't live forever and it remainto be seen whether the kids owning the team is acceptable or not. If the NBA is forced to let the current ownership remain intact - then the best weapon they will have is to let the sponser and fans flee from doing business with Mr Sterling - and that is something that Sterling cannot control. Without the fans and sponsership from advertisments - the Clippers will cease to exist so let him retain ownership, and let's just sit back and watch when the players refuse to show up and there are no fans and advertisements. I am going to enjoy watching him sit in an empty building

Everything of relevance is out there, including the entire list of possible reasons someone's ownership can be terminated. If it is not listed there, THEY CANNOT DO IT. There is no ambiguity; there is nothing to be debated. It is not allowed for under the NBA constitution and thus they can't do it without sterling destroying the league.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread will go way past 2,000 posts. Also, the Mercury News has linked to this thread.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1797503_882659561747768_6140519377449640800_n.jpg

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everything of relevance is out there, including the entire list of possible reasons someone's ownership can be terminated. If it is not listed there, THEY CANNOT DO IT. There is no ambiguity; there is nothing to be debated. It is not allowed for under the NBA constitution and thus they can't do it without sterling destroying the league.

You said that already 50 times:laugh3:

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I'll probably have to say it 50 more before your tiny little brain can grasp it. :nod:

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I'll probably have to say it 50 more before your tiny little brain can grasp it. :nod:

It's gonna take a whoooooole lot more than 50 more times to get through to TLF.:lol:

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they can remove him, if they go back and use all of the violations collected over the years - such as not paying their last gm, the allegations of racism by Baron Davis and Baylor, the apartment discrimination and etc.

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And you'll be wrong everytime spermburper!!!!

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, from what I've read, it looks like Sterling won't stand much of a chance of winning any suit.

In terms of the taped convos......they have him on record as giving his permission to tape them. They were procured from V. Stiviano BECAUSE of the lawsuit Shelly Sterling initiated against her. She had to turn them over to Sterling's lawyers, and AFTER that, they were leaked.

So, there is so far no evidence she leaked them, or obtained them illegally. If that holds up, there goes most of your arguments here.

Sterling has admitted to nearly all of this to Silver. NONE of this would have become public knowledge without Sterling's wife suing Stiviano, none of it.

Karma is a bitch, ain't it?

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whether that is the case or not has no relevance to sterling's case against the NBA. It never did.

What did is that kicking him out is a violation of the NBA constitution and sterling will destroy the league if they do so.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whether that is the case or not has no relevance to sterling's case against the NBA. It never did.

What did is that kicking him out is a violation of the NBA constitution and sterling will destroy the league if they do so.

Accept, that is not going to even vaguely hold up - he'll lose on that basis.

His actions caused damages to the league - this is fact, not debate. That's not a violation, and he will have to prove otherwise, which he cannot.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damaging the league is not cause to kick him. The reasons that he can possibly be kicked are enumerated in full in the constitution, and a generic "damaging to the league" claim does not give them that power.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah, but it DOES.

You keep trying to argue this, but it is a FACT of which legal counsel has already approved of for the league. They will vote him out......and he will tie them up in court for years. But he will lose.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Additional information released by the NBA which now acknowledges that they have signed contracts with each owner that spell out that each owner's obligations which includes a good moral clause and any actions period that an owner will "TAKE ANY POSITION OR ACTION THAT WILL MATERIALLY AND ADVERSELY AFFECT A TEAM OR THE LEAGUE. Owners also sign a good moral clause and these agreements have been updated over the years. The NBA will argue in court if it goes that far that Mr Sterling's actions and opinions are so egregious that they will adversely affect the future of the Clippers organization and the entire NBA organization.

I personally believe that once the courts sees those agreements - and compares them to the laws for major league sports - that Mr Sterling will have a tough time making his case fly. Especially when you consider that he has numerous mistresses of which another one like Stiviano was showered with gifts then sued in court, then there are violations in his apartment buildings and other racist comments and overtures by other players dating back 33 years.

Life has come a full circle for Donald Sterling IMO

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just love how this board knows more about the legalities of the league than the league does. Nevermind that the commish is a lawyer, as is most of the execs that run the NBA. Anyone here that seriously thinks they didn't know their case was solid before going against an owner that LOVES to sue is out of their mind.

It may take years......but the NBA has a pretty solid case. They have proof that Sterling has damaged the league in that all advertisers have pulled out - that won't be arguable in court. They have proof the evidence against Sterling that was leaked was legally obtained. They have the threat of a player boycott.

Sterling doesn't have an angle here he can work that will win in arbitration. He has very little grounds to win in court. His lawyers will have a HELLUVA job to get him outta this one.