• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SLATON10's Weekly Musings...

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well,

Just making it back from a week at the beach and finished off with a round of golf with my BFF , BBW and his son and we were all front and center at FEDEX FIELD for the much anticipated WV/VT football game...

Our Seats were right on the 50 yard line..which was NICE...with the minor..well really major .. inconvenience of the overhang!! :sad2:...SORRY BBW!!!...MY BAD!!...man if I were a Redskin Season Ticket Holder I would be more than PISSED!!!..well the only thing I guess we couldn't see really where field goals and punts..outside of that we were SURROUNDED with RABID WV fans!..

Well..as far as the game went...I think both Wv and VT fans go all agreed that that game should be played on an annual basis...I now agree with BBW that playing VT every year seems to be more important than playing PITT..I just can't articulate enough how much energy was in that stadium ..such a different feel about writing a wrong about playing the game versus how I felt when we played PITT after the hiatus..

My takeaways.....this team not only has a QB they have a LEADER...outside of a couple of critical misses in the first half the kid was everything we could have hoped for and more...so poised out there..nothing rattled him...fearless with the ball...and by no means does that mean careless...just watched him on the sidelines..he's not a rah rah guy...but you could see he messaged quickly to other players about whatever needed to be said and got out of the way of the coaches..he had a PR day .good days are ahead!

Offensive line...iMHO had a monster day against an active front 7...BBW and I were listening to Spivital's comments the game plan was that they felt they were going to need to roll the pocket for the much of the game.. they decided to go away from it after the OL clearly held their own in pocket pass protect..the team rushed for 227 against a defense last year that was giving up only 140 yards a game and a total of 592 yards of offense against a team that's defense ranked 18th in the country in last year giving up 340 yards per game and that defense basically brought everyone back from last year..VT defense will likely finish top 10 easily this year...

Skill Positions: Some critical drops by the WR....too many...reminded me of the Alabama game..but that group also made some outstanding plays....man just one catch away from sending that game into OT...:doh:

RB:s; BBW was right...McCoy has no breakaway speed...can't believe he was caught from behind..Steve Slaton or Noel Devine take that ball to the HOUSE!.(IMO may have been the other play to lose the game)..was surprised Pettaway only got two carries??..as group though I think this OL and its backs will develop even better timing before Kansas and this running game rolls!

DL: Played so well for 2.5 quarters and then ran out of gas a little bit..could be said for both teams they played a ton of snaps..they were up against a big offensive line with efficient running backs that like contact I would give that group a solid B..they just looked pretty easy to block up by the 4th quarter..

LB's...mixed bag...all the hype around Ferns..1 tackle...1!!...Benton was active all night...the Tonkery kid was fun to watch play..what a big stage for a kid out of Bridgeport to play his first game and never saw him not moving at full speed he was around the ball all night....I told BBW there would be kids that we have not even heard of yet make a difference ...#10 looks to be one of them..this group needs to get Long back soon!..I think their QB doesn't make that run if he's in there..

DB's: Well I said it wouldn't make a difference how strong the CB's were if the Safety's played well and I am not sure I am ready to come off of that comment, but it did hurt them on Sunday, I thought the Safety's were outstanding..#8 especially...but the corners looked like Freshmen that had yet to see the practice field...they have to know when the ball's in the air..they have to know when to get their head around...if your hips are facing straight down field chances are your are not going to to make that happen...their technique was just not good...they only positive I liked was their speed, they closed on the ball well, hopefully they will get things cleaned up....I am sure they will it, its going to be easy to see on tape...

Have you all heard this one before?...This team has special teams issues!!..LOL!!... I didn't realize it until BBW said something I was too caught up in watching all the talent at times walking up and down the isles:lol:..but he noticed right away about Wv starting field position..it was easily one the top three if not top two reasons Wv lost that game.. Punting..9 punts 36.0 yard average..two punts barely qualified for being inside the 20 yard line and one kickoff went OB...I don't care if the kid was limping ..get the next guy in!..how does a punter get dehydrated?..punt return??..:doh::doh::doh:..WTF was that shizza?..is that the plan this year..either fair catch everything or get out of the way??...Kickoff's? The kid hit the end zone once!..as mentioned one goes out of bounds, the others we kicked so low and so short on the one long return Wv had no time to cover the kick....IMHO the PUNTER and KICK OFF KID HUGE LIABILITIES!!...if they don't get this straightened out these two kids could single handedly lose football games for WV going forward...huge concern..

Coaching...I was interested to see how long Dana could stay out of the offense and what he would be doing ...well...he did, not even during TO's did he get involved in the huddles when WV had the ball..I thought Spivatal called a pretty good game..should only get better from here..clearly Dana has a target on his back..he said after the game he didn't say anything to the ref's but he was out on the field...honestly and yes I am a Dana apologist..I don't blame him for being pissed..a big moment in the game..it was a bang bang play it lasted no more than 2 seconds and in goal line formation for both teams an official can see holding in that pile, but can't see White getting mugged out in the open by the VT CB's all night??..AMAZING!...what a total BULLSHIT CALL!...

I like what I saw on defense...they ran out of gas late in the game and as Gibby said afterward they are going to need to find a deeper rotation at LB's and DB's...kids played a lot of snaps...as I told BBW you got to tip your cap to the OC at VT man did he do his homework..he caught WV on at least 4 occasions in the defense he wanted..and their kids executed..what an efficient and effective game plan they had..overall wasn't really impressed with how their offense looks..it looks exactly like NAVY..they use that slot receiver to set up a triple option look...but as I said it was efficient and effective.. I give the defense a B- even with everything they were up against , heat, snaps etc..I can't remember the last time I saw a Gibson Defense give up 21 points in the second half..

I have already commented on Special Teams...is time to bring Deforrest back?

Let's bring on the PIRATES!

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crawford is the RB that doesn't have break away speed. Once again... caught from behind.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still don't understand why we didn't pound the rock more. Especially when their defense was gassed in the 4th qtr. Don't understand why Bush was playing ahead of Pettaway.

And, this was not a neutral site. This was VT playing a home game at Fed Ex field. The PA guy was VT... all the music they played was for VT fans.

I was totally pissed they were playing Sandman in the last part of the game. As we were driving to your house, we were listening to the VT radio show, and players and coaches both stated how the song got the crowd into it and the players fed off the energy the crowd gave them.

Total BS.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crawford is the RB that doesn't have break away speed. Once again... caught from behind.

My bad..I mean't Crawford..still shaking the vacation Cobbwebs outs

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still don't understand why we didn't pound the rock more. Especially when their defense was gassed in the 4th qtr. Don't understand why Bush was playing ahead of Pettaway.

And, this was not a neutral site. This was VT playing a home game at Fed Ex field. The PA guy was VT... all the music they played was for VT fans.

I was totally pissed they were playing Sandman in the last part of the game. As we were driving to your house, we were listening to the VT radio show, and players and coaches both stated how the song got the crowd into it and the players fed off the energy the crowd gave them.

Total BS.

I think some of the officiating looked like they were in Blacksburg to!..I am still optimistic, if this team can stay healthy they have a great season...

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be interesting to watch the development of our defense. They made a pretty average VT offense look good. Obviously... inexperience of the kids actually playing together under fire, lack of depth and fatigue were part of the problem.

We'll see where the pass defense is when the TCU game rolls around. Should be fairly telling for the rest of the season.

Until I see some big time improvement, I think the offense will be asked to do too much to have a great season.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If that punter can't flip the field when they are deep inside their own end they will struggle..

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the end of the day, we had an opportunity to tie the game and play for the win in overtime. The refs did a good job staying out of the game until the 4th and made a couple of questionable calls. I won't blame then for the loss, they just made it a little more difficult.

Dana will have to pick and choose his battles with the refs. The hit out of bounds was a bang bang play and the refs are going to err on the side of safety. The holding call is the type of stuff that sets him off. Hopefully he will be able to contain some of his emotions, but this is the way he is wired. Similar to our other coach, but this is football season.

Not sure if it is rust or not, but Greir seemed to be aiming his passes in the first half and appeared to do the same with the pass to Stills in the end zone on the last drive. I was having flashbacks of another QB who was playing Texas A&M. That guy didn't turn out too bad. Hopefully we will get more of his second half performance minus the last pass.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another big game another loss pinned directly on Dana Holgorsen.

Dana gonna Dana, 2nd quarter, their 23 yard line, 4th down. Time for the FG team right?....right? Wrong, LETS GO FOR IT BOYS!!
hillbilly.gif

Turned over on downs...

3rd quarter, we are near that 23 of VT again and WOOOP!!, BS holding call by the refs, back us up 10, no, lets throw a temper tantrum and back us up another 15 and make it 3rd and 26 from mid field, out of FG range!!

hillbilly.gif

Oh and ON that 3rd and 26 with the marker around the 4 its time to try n get BACK into FG range then right? Wrong! LETS CHUCK IT TO THE ENDZONE INTO DOUBLE COVERAGE BOYS I'm MAD!!

hillbilly.gif

Dana Dana Dana..... Its like clockwork, get into a game that we need to win bad and...

Go brain dead and abandon all proven strategies that win football games... Petteway running it down their throats, VT going to the mat WVU gaining momentum and, Lets call some pass plays, screw it!:L

6 points that VT all but GAVE us and Dana let his emotions get the best of him and it costs us a game ...AGAIN!

We get those 6 and that last drive, when we make it inside the 20, AGAIN! We only need a FG to WIN not a TD to tie..But NooOOOooo Dana had to go and be the mysterious football guru that don't use philosophies that have won ball games 100987657840987 times!!:mad::frusty:

The kids work too hard to have wins taken away from them by this guy... ridiculous! Stupid coach is stupid!

Ok, rant over, I feel better now...

:martini:

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The TD scoring drive in the first half included a 4th and 2 conversion. On the night, WVU was 2/3 on 4th down conversions.

On the failed attempt, the coaches called a good play... it was poorly executed by Grier.

I understand the feeling/thought process of getting points. I also trust the coaches know their preparation for their opponent and know what will work. It's not like Molina is automatic.

The offense missed some golden opportunities. Grier clearly needs to work on his deep ball. He missed kids all night long.

The defense gave up 21 points in the 2nd half. WVU didn't have a defender within 5 yards of the receiver the entire 2nd half.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think some of the officiating looked like they were in Blacksburg to!..I am still optimistic, if this team can stay healthy they have a great season...

The lead official was an old BE ref. I knew when he was calling a WVU game there would be a high number of holding penalties called against the old gold and blue.

Sunday night was a cruel reminder...

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First of all I am sorry I missed BB and Slaton, my week got crazy work wise and at one point did not think I was going to make the game.

I was pretty happy with this game...my grades

QB B+ missed wide open deep balls that would have changed a lot in this game
OL A I thought this was one of the best protection nights we have had in a while, penalties lowered score
WR B- To many drops
RB B Prob low, they played well

DL B maybe to high
LB B- played OK but gave up edge way to easy
DB C gave up big plays, missed tackles, missed assignments, dumb penalties

I am not sure what you would grade coaching, Spiritual made adjustments that had our guys open all night. Gibson called a solid game as well.

Special D didn't give up ball, but return team was non existent with us never starting pass the 27, KO out of bounds, big returns

I am concerned about the pressure on the QB, I do not feel like we blitzed a lot and I am not sure if it is because we don't have good blitzes or don't trust CBs

We were 50 yard line club level, great seats, but boy do I hate that stadium.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the end of the day, we had an opportunity to tie the game and play for the win in overtime. The refs did a good job staying out of the game until the 4th and made a couple of questionable calls. I won't blame then for the loss, they just made it a little more difficult.

Dana will have to pick and choose his battles with the refs. The hit out of bounds was a bang bang play and the refs are going to err on the side of safety. The holding call is the type of stuff that sets him off. Hopefully he will be able to contain some of his emotions, but this is the way he is wired. Similar to our other coach, but this is football season.

Not sure if it is rust or not, but Greir seemed to be aiming his passes in the first half and appeared to do the same with the pass to Stills in the end zone on the last drive. I was having flashbacks of another QB who was playing Texas A&M. That guy didn't turn out too bad. Hopefully we will get more of his second half performance minus the last pass.

I think it was rust and the speed of the game..its alot different than practice I imagine..

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First of all I am sorry I missed BB and Slaton, my week got crazy work wise and at one point did not think I was going to make the game.

I was pretty happy with this game...my grades

QB B+ missed wide open deep balls that would have changed a lot in this game
OL A I thought this was one of the best protection nights we have had in a while, penalties lowered score
WR B- To many drops
RB B Prob low, they played well

DL B maybe to high
LB B- played OK but gave up edge way to easy
DB C gave up big plays, missed tackles, missed assignments, dumb penalties

I am not sure what you would grade coaching, Spiritual made adjustments that had our guys open all night. Gibson called a solid game as well.

Special D didn't give up ball, but return team was non existent with us never starting pass the 27, KO out of bounds, big returns

I am concerned about the pressure on the QB, I do not feel like we blitzed a lot and I am not sure if it is because we don't have good blitzes or don't trust CBs

We were 50 yard line club level, great seats, but boy do I hate that stadium.

Well we will just have to meet in Morgantown now in the Blue lot!

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The TD scoring drive in the first half included a 4th and 2 conversion. On the night, WVU was 2/3 on 4th down conversions.

On the failed attempt, the coaches called a good play... it was poorly executed by Grier.

I understand the feeling/thought process of getting points. I also trust the coaches know their preparation for their opponent and know what will work. It's not like Molina is automatic.

The offense missed some golden opportunities. Grier clearly needs to work on his deep ball. He missed kids all night long.

The defense gave up 21 points in the 2nd half. WVU didn't have a defender within 5 yards of the receiver the entire 2nd half.

Missing kids all night is a bit of stretch...seem to remember a few dropped balls...

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Missing kids all night is a bit of stretch...seem to remember a few dropped balls...

Really?

Grier had a 58% completion rate for the night. WVU fans raked Howard for such a poor showing.

Mac_Bridger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will defend the punt return team, at least for this game. VT's punter is really, REALLY good. I was looking for a calendar to time his hang time.

Mac_Bridger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grier did miss some throws, but he seemed to improve as the game went on. WRs have to catch the ball too.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really?

Grier had a 58% completion rate for the night. WVU fans raked Howard for such a poor showing.

31/54 371 yards passing and 3 TD's......I will take that every week