• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Titans Mularkey Stubborn Instead Of Going With Hot Hand Continues With Cold One

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Over the Titans last four games - DeMarco Murray 43 carries for 80 yards, 1.9 ypc. Derrick Henry 39 carries for 189 yards, 4.8 ypc.

Definitely time for Henry.

But every week like clockwork Murray is out there starting but its not doing any good if he is hurting the team.

That offense is terrible, outdated, and predictable.

Like a member here Wild Turkey said earlier.....

Not only is the offense outdated and predictable they also run too much in general and all the plays come from the same set so you know what's going to happen. 1st and 2nd down, under center, its a run. Any time its a shotgun set, its a pass. Every team knows what's coming. That's why Mariota has struggled more this year.

Wild Turkey nailed exactly how almost the entire fanbase feels.

Mularkey is stubborn as hell and as a Titans fan mark my words even though Henry saved his ass last week the sonofabitch will turn right back around this Sunday and start Murray.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Over the Titans last four games - DeMarco Murray 43 carries for 80 yards, 1.9 ypc. Derrick Henry 39 carries for 189 yards, 4.8 ypc.

Definitely time for Henry.

But every week like clockwork Murray is out there starting but its not doing any good if he is hurting the team.

That offense is terrible, outdated, and predictable.

Like a member here Wild Turkey said earlier.....

Not only is the offense outdated and predictable they also run too much in general and all the plays come from the same set so you know what's going to happen. 1st and 2nd down, under center, its a run. Any time its a shotgun set, its a pass. Every team knows what's coming. That's why Mariota has struggled more this year.

Wild Turkey nailed exactly how almost the entire fanbase feels.

Mularkey is stubborn as hell and as a Titans fan mark my words even though Henry saved his ass last week the sonofabitch will turn right back around this Sunday and start Murray.

Mariota could definitely benefit with more innovation. Mularkey had a stint as an OC in PIT under Cowher and I remember him running more trick plays, etc, but generally speaking, he's just a guy. Robiske was the WR coach here in ATL...liked him a lot as the WR coach, but another old school approach guy.

Maybe the play calling is putting Mariota in 3rd n long a lot more than a young QB needs to be facing, but he has to curb the picks...to me that's a bigger concern than who starts at RB.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds a lot like the stubborness of the KC Chiefs watching their season slip away with the boring Alex Smith, rather than turn to a kid that could have the same effect on the team that Deshean Watson had for Houston

The loyalty to some veterans, maybe in an effort not to lose a locker room? Sometime i just dont get it

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh thats not all listen at this and tell me this isn't some bullshit....

On the Titans last TD drive Henry got nearly all the yardage a good chunk 60 yards and so Henry led them to the 1 yard line and who gets the ball for the TD??? Yep Murray.

Also you could see even on tv that Henry looked a bit irritated after getting the team all the way down the field they hand the ball to Murray at the 1 which is bullshit. Why not show appreciation to the man who basically saved your ass and grabbed the team a close win in what was a certain loss before Henry went crazy in the fourth gaining all his yardage then.

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariota could definitely benefit with more innovation. Mularkey had a stint as an OC in PIT under Cowher and I remember him running more trick plays, etc, but generally speaking, he's just a guy. Robiske was the WR coach here in ATL...liked him a lot as the WR coach, but another old school approach guy.

Maybe the play calling is putting Mariota in 3rd n long a lot more than a young QB needs to be facing, but he has to curb the picks...to me that's a bigger concern than who starts at RB.

The maddening thing is watching him run on first and second down constantly and get stuffed for losses because defenses know its coming. Then of course you have 3rd and 15 or something similar. Then Mariota checks down if nothing is there. The play calling is straight out of the 1980's.

As a Steelers fan you have to admit that the team never won anything important while Mularkey was running the offense and a year after he left the team the Steelers won a Super Bowl something they didnt do when Mularkey was there. Also while in Atlanta he ran the offense and they never made a Super Bowl then about three years after he left they finally did with Shanahan running the offense.

I do like some things Mularkey does BUT overall he depends entirely on the run game to open up everything on offense and if the run gets stalled the offense basically looks like shit.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The maddening thing is watching him run on first and second down constantly and get stuffed for losses because defenses know its coming. Then of course you have 3rd and 15 or something similar. Then Mariota checks down if nothing is there. The play calling is straight out of the 1980's.

As a Steelers fan you have to admit that the team never won anything important while Mularkey was running the offense and a year after he left the team the Steelers won a Super Bowl something they didnt do when Mularkey was there. Also while in Atlanta he ran the offense and they never made a Super Bowl then about three years after he left they finally did with Shanahan running the offense.

I do like some things Mularkey does BUT overall he depends entirely on the run game to open up everything on offense and if the run gets stalled the offense basically looks like shit.

PIT...lol, yeah, but in fairness to MM, he was working with the "dark period" (gap between Bradshaw and Ben) QBs. Whisenhunt (small world) got the OC ring with Cowher.

I agree with you on Mularkey, but I would give some of the blame to Robisky...they're both cut from a similar cloth in terms of OFC philosophy. At the same time it's a two way street, Mariota has to be more careful with the pass plays they're giving him.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well looks like they are sticking with Murray still

Heading into Week 13, the Tennessee Titans find themselves atop the AFC South at 7-4 and in the third seed in the conference. The franchise is on pace for its first double-digit win total since 2008.

But something isn't quite right with the Titans. Their point differential is -27, the lowest of an division-leading team. Tennessee is barely beating mid- to lower-tier teams as of late; they topped the Browns, Ravens, Bengals and Colts (.318 combined) by an average of 3.5 points in their last four wins. Worst of all, the Titans' supposed identity, a smashmouth ground attack, is nowhere to be found.

Tennessee has only eclipsed 100 yards on the ground in two of the last eight games. In 2016, the Titans did so in 12 of their 16 contests.

Contributing to this malaise is DeMarco Murray's lack of production. The veteran running back is averaging 3.5 yards per carry on the season and hasn't eclipsed 50 yards on the ground since Week 7. Hampered by his hamstring, Murray has seen his backfield buddy Derrick Henry find way more production. Henry is averaging 4.6 yards per carry, and over the past three games, is averaging 5.26.

Despite the younger back's better statistics, Titans coach Mike Mularkey insists that Tennessee is not ready to move on from Murray and crown Henry as the starter.

"It's worked out just fine. I think we have two starters," Mularkey said of the Titans' running game. "If somebody wants to line up on the first play of the game to justify this guy as a starter, that's not something we're worried about. They're both really good at what they do."

Murray has played roughly 66 percent of Tennessee's snaps, while Henry has partaken in 38 percent. But might that change? Henry was on the field for 55.2 percent of the Titans' offensive snaps in last week's win over the Colts, while Murray's snap percentage dipped to 53.4.

On tape, Murray's role is that of a space-eater. He runs straight into the line, struggling to gain more yardage than he should. Henry, on the other hand, is an outside-the-tackles playmaker. Sometimes his outside bounces work, sometimes they don't, but the stats bear out his effect on the offense. While Murray is 44th among 45 qualifying running backs in yards after contact (1.43), Henry is second (2.76).

If Tennessee's running game continues to crawl, look for more carries to go Henry's way. Just don't expect the Titans to hint that they've officially passed the torch

Despite the younger back's better statistics, Titans coach Mike Mularkey insists that Tennessee is not ready to move on from Murray and crown Henry as the starter.

"It's worked out just fine. I think we have two starters," Mularkey said of the Titans' running game. "If somebody wants to line up on the first play of the game to justify this guy as a starter, that's not something we're worried about. They're both really good at what they do."

Murray has played roughly 66 percent of Tennessee's snaps, while Henry has partaken in 38 percent. But might that change? Henry was on the field for 55.2 percent of the Titans' offensive snaps in last week's win over the Colts, while Murray's snap percentage dipped to 53.4.

On tape, Murray's role is that of a space-eater. He runs straight into the line, struggling to gain more yardage than he should. Henry, on the other hand, is an outside-the-tackles playmaker. Sometimes his outside bounces work, sometimes they don't, but the stats bear out his effect on the offense. While Murray is 44th among 45 qualifying running backs in yards after contact (1.43), Henry is second (2.76).

If Tennessee's running game continues to crawl, look for more carries to go Henry's way. Just don't expect the Titans to hint that they've officially passed the torch