• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Time to stir up controversy: Alabama loses to Georgia

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Alabama loses to Georgia, the 4th playoff team SHOULD be Michigan. Michigan would only have lost to the, would be, 2nd/3rd team in the country and they would have wins over, what could be, 4 ranked teams (Northwestern, Michigan State, Penn State and Ohio State) while Bama would have a very similar loss, but only would have wins over, what could be, 2 ranked teams (LSU and Mississippi State). Michigan would have the best resume, would probably also have the better loss to an undefeated team.

However, because Alabama looked to dominating by scoring 50-60 points over piss poor teams like Arkansas, Louisville, Arkansas State, Ole Miss and Louisiana, the committee will find a way to put them in.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets say for argument sake, the following things happen:

Clemson goes 13-0. Notre Dame goes 12-0. Michigan wins out and goes 12-1.

Georgia beats Alabama. Both teams finish 12-1.

Under this scenario, Georgia, Clemson, and Notre Dame would be locks to get in. Do you take a 12-1 CC Michigan or a 12-1 Alabama?

Would you response change, if either (a) Georgia wins by at least 10 points, or (b) the ending was a "fluke" of some sort. Think 2013 Alabama vs. Auburn. Think the first 2011 Michigan State vs. Wisconsin game. Think 2013 Georgia vs. Auburn ending,
This exact situation is why it should be a requirement that teams win their conference in order to be eligible for the playoff. In a year where potentially 4/5 conferences have champions with only 1 loss, it's stupid to suggest that two teams from the same conference deserve a spot.

Just my opinion, but losing to Georgia would likely push Alabama out of the top 4. Clemson would move up to #1, ND probably #2 and Georgia #3 followed by #4 Michigan.

Though, some of this also depends on how teams "look" in their final games.

Churchillin

Hoopla Cash
$ 216.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You got it?? Gooooood!! You got something! Because, Alabama IS that much better! Let me guess: you were one of those dipshits back in 2011 who were crying because the national title game featured Alabama vs. LSU, and not Oklahoma State vs. LSU?

LMAO at "substantial decline in NFL ratings over a sideshow". Pssst, hey, Weemus, listen closely. The decline hasnt REALLY been all that substantial, the NFL is still the undisputed king of American sports, and it had more to do with the application of confusing rules than anything else. Thats a fact, Jack.

Now go back to your feet stamping over college football because "Bama".

Got it??

Bwaaahahahhaa:pound:

Really surprised to hear a Ohio State fan using this logic.

I see you were on these boards in '14-'15. No doubt you remember how universal the prediction here was that Alabama was going to smash Ohio State in the playoff semifinal. And then it was the same for the final vs. Oregon: I remember someone saying "I feel sorry for Ohio State, I really do" because they were going to get blitzkrieged. I actually predicted Ohio State to win precisely because of how universally they were predicted to lose here.

Yet despite all that your opinion is "cuz Bama." That's proven to be not logical.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really surprised to hear a Ohio State fan using this logic.

I see you were on these boards in '14-'15. No doubt you remember how universal the prediction here was that Alabama was going to smash Ohio State in the playoff semifinal. And then it was the same for the final vs. Oregon: I remember someone saying "I feel sorry for Ohio State, I really do" because they were going to get blitzkrieged. I actually predicted Ohio State to win precisely because of how universally they were predicted to lose here.

Yet despite all that your opinion is "cuz Bama." That's proven to be not logical.

Lol what?? What in the fuck are you talking about?? This idea that everybody in the world thought that OSU was going to be destroyed isnt nearly as accurate as you purport it to be, most folks accepted that OSU deserved the chance to play Alabama

Churchillin

Hoopla Cash
$ 216.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol what?? What in the fuck are you talking about?? This idea that everybody in the world thought that OSU was going to be destroyed isnt nearly as accurate as you purport it to be, most folks accepted that OSU deserved the chance to play Alabama

That’s why I limited what I said to the things said on this forum. I’m not going back to the thread but I bet 9/10 non-buckeye fans thought Alabama would win and 9/10 of those thought it wouldn’t be close. There was disappointment that Ohio state made it in and much talk of “41-14”. Bama was favored by more than a touchdown. Yet Ohio State physically dominated them on offense and most of the time in defense. I can see you are set in your thinking in this though so feel free to get the last dig.

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This exact situation is why it should be a requirement that teams win their conference in order to be eligible for the playoff. In a year where potentially 4/5 conferences have champions with only 1 loss, it's stupid to suggest that two teams from the same conference deserve a spot.

Just my opinion, but losing to Georgia would likely push Alabama out of the top 4. Clemson would move up to #1, ND probably #2 and Georgia #3 followed by #4 Michigan.

Though, some of this also depends on how teams "look" in their final games.

OR run the table.

My favorite college football team is Notre Dame, and I have over and over again, that the Irish should only be eligible for the four team playoff, if they go 12-0 and play at least a good schedule.

So yeah, I agree with you here. Putting in Alabama last season AND leaving out Penn State in 2016, pretty much devalued the concept of CC getting preferential treatment.

tnapucco

Fair as fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 17,999.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will there be SEC referees at this game?

Asking for a bookie friend...

pitman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don’t see why everyone is opposed to a 8 team play off, 5 conference champs best G5, best independent, and one at large?

So what if Bama had to play UCF in the first round

In the end there would be no question

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don’t see why everyone is opposed to a 8 team play off, 5 conference champs best G5, best independent, and one at large?

We are looking at a season where 3 division champs have at least 4 losses. Anyone of them could be a conference champ in a one game playoff. If Northwestern beats Michigan in the CCG who is the better team and more deserving of going? Michigan who went 11-2 who also had a win over NW or 9-4/8-5 NW? If a conference champ is not ranked in the top 8 then how did they actually earn a spot?

How often does a G5 team actually have a good enough team that might be able to keep up with the top tier power teams? Maybe once every 5 years? Why should they be given an auto spot every year. Don’t even get me started on the joke that is the independents overall. That’s just a free ride to Notre Dame every year because they rest of them are trash or newly FBS teams.

tnapucco

Fair as fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 17,999.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think the main reason is the added games that would happen...that would put an extreme emphasis on all conferences conforming to a standard of:
1. number of members
2. competition

Let's be frank, the G5 conferences aren't as competitive as the P5 conferences OVERALL. That cannot be debated. So when you're asking for an equal seat at the table, there are some discrepancies that can't be remedied.

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
View attachment 190707

I don't know if the scenario you describe existed prior to the kneeling thing since I don’t follow the NFL for a decade now. I do know this, and that it can happen as easily to CFB as it did to the NFL, and moreso.

2012 was also the big fantasy football boom. Some have fallen off because they stopped playing

pitman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are looking at a season where 3 division champs have at least 4 losses. Anyone of them could be a conference champ in a one game playoff. If Northwestern beats Michigan in the CCG who is the better team and more deserving of going? Michigan who went 11-2 who also had a win over NW or 9-4/8-5 NW? If a conference champ is not ranked in the top 8 then how did they actually earn a spot?

How often does a G5 team actually have a good enough team that might be able to keep up with the top tier power teams? Maybe once every 5 years? Why should they be given an auto spot every year. Don’t even get me started on the joke that is the independents overall. That’s just a free ride to Notre Dame every year because they rest of them are trash or newly FBS teams.

Don’t fuck up and lose to NW, if you can’t beat a 4 loss team, you probably don’t belong in the playoffs.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don’t fuck up and lose to NW, if you can’t beat a 4 loss team, you probably don’t belong in the playoffs.
But the four loss team does belong?

pitman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But the four loss team does belong?

They won the game on the field, if the conference championship doesn’t mean anything, why have a conference

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They won the game on the field, if the conference championship doesn’t mean anything, why have a conference
If non conference games don’t mean anything why have them?

tnapucco

Fair as fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 17,999.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can barely beat Army and Okie State with a full team though. :scratch::scratch:
OU vs UCF:

OU beat a common opponent (FAU) by a 49 pt margin compared to UCFs 20 pt margin.

UCF struggled to beat 6-5 Memphis, scoring a come from behind TD in the 4th quarter to win the game.

We will be in the playoff before UCF, that cannot be denied my friend.

:suds:

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OU vs UCF:

OU beat a common opponent (FAU) by a 49 pt margin compared to UCFs 20 pt margin.

UCF struggled to beat 6-5 Memphis, scoring a come from behind TD in the 4th quarter to win the game.

We will be in the playoff before UCF, that cannot be denied my friend.

:suds:

The fact that you gotta compare yourself to a G5 team that won't sniff the playoffs unless they are undefeated for 3-4 years straight is SAD and shows how strong your argument for OU being in the playoffs actually is.