• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Time to start looking at the Wild Card Spot?

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Doyers don't look like they will let up anytime soon... right now it's time to shift our focus on that 2nd WC spot. The Reds have been struggling a little bit lately (3-7 in their last 10) and we are closer to them (4.5 GB) than we are to LA (5.5 GB)

They have 2 games vs. the A's, a HUGE 4 game series vs. us, 7 games left vs. the Cards, 6 vs. the Pirates, and a 3 game series vs. LA.

If we can just gain a game or two before we meet them for that 4 game set then taking 3 of 4 vs. them (which will be extremely difficult) would make things VERY interesting. It will be tough to catch them but if they keep struggling and we find a way to turn things around then who knows. LA is still reachable if we get some help from the Cardinals and Rays this upcoming week... but if they are still 4.5+ games ahead of us after their rough stretch then I doubt we will catch up to them. Just my :2cents:

Jonas_steven

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just thinking the same thing earlier today and am rather surprised that we are that close in the wild card! Either way, we need to ATTEMPT to play our best baseball till the end of the year.

Orange602

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't even think that we were close in the wild card. I honestly haven't taken a good look at the standings in a month.

Jonas_steven

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the dodgers go any better than 4-3 in their next seven, we would have to play devil rays-esque baseball in September against the division. I don't see that happening. Wild card here we come!

besaesa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good luck to you guys. The thing with baseball is it is a funny funny game. I dont know if my team can continue to play at this rate especially if Hanley is going to be out for any length of time. I do know it will be a good race and interesting to see if AZ makes a push. BTW I didnt even know the NL west was that close in the second wild card hunt. THat is interesting...

Jonas_steven

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good luck to you guys. The thing with baseball is it is a funny funny game. I dont know if my team can continue to play at this rate especially if Hanley is going to be out for any length of time. I do know it will be a good race and interesting to see if AZ makes a push. BTW I didnt even know the NL west was that close in the second wild card hunt. THat is interesting...

Best of luck to you guys as well! You are on a total tear right now and are the only team in this division who deserves to win the pennant. Hopefully, we can give you guys a run for your money!

tuffydahog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team does not have the pitching to contend for a postseason spot.

This year's team is absolutely nothing like the 2011 d'backs that made a postseason run. That team went to the postseason because of great starting pitching. This team has Patrick Corbin and a revolving door of starting pitchers that you have no idea how they will pitch game to game.

The main starters for the 2011 d'backs team were Kennedy, Hudson, Saunders, and Collmenter. Look at their respective era's. Kennedy's was 2.88, Hudson's was 3.49, Saunders was 3.69, and Collementer's was 3.38.

That was for them pitching the whole season. This year's team does not compare to that rotation. Besides Corbin and what Delgado and Miley have done lately, this team's starting pitching is the worst in baseball. Kennedy, Cahill, McCarthy, those guys have been awful.

And Delgado has barely pitched. He has only started 9 games.

Here is an amazing statistic. Kennedy pitched 21 games and had only 9 quality starts. Cahill has pitched 17 games and had only 6 quality starts. McCarthy has pitched 12 games and had only 4 quality starts.

They have combined to have only 19 quality starts in 50 games. Let me repeat that: 19 quality starts in 50 games! That means that only 38% of their starts so far were good. These were the d'backs pitchers that started the season as the 1,2, and 3 guys in the rotation.

Here are the stats if you want to look for yourselves: Arizona Diamondbacks 2013 Pitching Statistics - ESPN

Last edited by a moderator:

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Worst rotation in baseball? The Blue Jays might say otherwise. Other than that, Tuffy nailed it. This just isn't a post-season team and hasn't been acting like it for months.

Goldschimdt carries the offense on his shoulders. If he doesn't do something special, they usually don't score runs. He's the only guy that gives you any consistency (in a positive way). Parra has been awful lately. Didi has been pathetic at the plate since his hot start. Kubel is useless. Montero should give back half his salary this year as a gesture of goodwill.

The rotation is terrible. The bullpen is bad. It's amazing they are even in shouting distance of the post-season at this point. Matt Williams should be fired for sending Pennington the other day.

Ugh, I think it may be time to start looking toward 2014.

Desert Glory

No not like the hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get why people are down and out right now, but we aren't out of this race yet. This is the same group that was beating really good teams in the first half of the year. Lots of shit can happen in 2 months.

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get why people are down and out right now, but we aren't out of this race yet. This is the same group that was beating really good teams in the first half of the year. Lots of shit can happen in 2 months.

Is it my turn?

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Exactly. This same team was 8 games over .500 and in great position to win the division not too long ago. It's still that same team, we just need to get hot at the right time and hope that LA cools off and Cincinnati continues to struggle.

You guys say our rotation sucks and I agree... but all it takes is a call up like Archie Bradley to come in and spark this team. Corbin, Delgado, and Miley are all pitching well. Cahill returns soon and if he can return to his form before his last few bad starts then who knows...
Corbin, Bradley, Miley, Delgado, Cahill really isn't that bad. That rotation could at least keep us in games. I think right now the main focus needs to be on timely hitting. Our offense has no problem getting on base, but we just either end up screwing ourselves up via base running or just terrible situational hitting.
Our bullpen looks solid with Ziegler, Thatcher, Collmenter, Putz, Harris, and Bell all pitching well lately.

Just remember that anything can happen. Injuries, hot streaks, cold streaks, etc.... this thing is far from over.

besaesa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jonas

Thanks it has been exciting to watch honestly. I am always scared of the Dbacks and I know you guys can get hot and make a run. Also if the Reds keep struggling then it makes things very interesting for the second wild card spot, and I do like Goldy. Good luck guys!

tuffydahog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. This same team was 8 games over .500 and in great position to win the division not too long ago. It's still that same team, we just need to get hot at the right time and hope that LA cools off and Cincinnati continues to struggle.

You guys say our rotation sucks and I agree... but all it takes is a call up like Archie Bradley to come in and spark this team. Corbin, Delgado, and Miley are all pitching well. Cahill returns soon and if he can return to his form before his last few bad starts then who knows...
Corbin, Bradley, Miley, Delgado, Cahill really isn't that bad. That rotation could at least keep us in games. I think right now the main focus needs to be on timely hitting. Our offense has no problem getting on base, but we just either end up screwing ourselves up via base running or just terrible situational hitting.
Our bullpen looks solid with Ziegler, Thatcher, Collmenter, Putz, Harris, and Bell all pitching well lately.

Just remember that anything can happen. Injuries, hot streaks, cold streaks, etc.... this thing is far from over.

I agree with all of this except Cahill. I have zero faith in Cahill. He just got destroyed again today in his second rehab start in triple A. D-backs' Trevor Cahill makes second rehabilitation start ArizonaSports.com

Ugh, every time I think of Trevor Cahill, I think of Jarrod Parker. Jarrod Parker may have an era of 4.02, but that is very misleading. He has that high of an era because of a few scattered games where he gave up a lot of runs. When you look past those games, you will see how well he has pitched for the majority of the season. He has 15 quality starts in 22 games. That is far superior to Cahill's 6 quality starts in 17 games.

Parker's stats last year and this year:
2012: 20 quality starts in 29 games
2013: 15 quality starts in 22 games so far this season
Combined total of 35 quality starts in 51 games
So far, the ratio of quality starts for Parker is 68.63%.

Cahill's stats last year and this year:
2012: 18 quality starts in 32 games
2013: 6 quality starts in 17 games so far this season
Combined total of 24 quality starts in 49 games
So far, the ratio of quality starts for Cahill is 48.98%.

The trade just keeps getting worse when you look at that huge contract extension that kicks in next year for Cahill, while Parker is still going to get paid like a rookie for maybe at least a couple more years.

The only trade I can think of that rivals how bad this trade looks is trading Dan Majerle for Hot Rod Williams.