• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Time to look in the mirror and make a resolution

wvu_man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But this was year FOUR, we are headed into year FIVE, almost EVERY player next year will be Holgorsen's.

There's nobody out there who wants us to be successful more than me. If Holgs continues to put up mediocre records, then he needs to go. But I also understand how a revolving door of coaching staffs can set teams back. Next season is gonna be BIG...especially with a new AD. I really hope that Crest will step up and be THE guy for the next 4 years. In four years, we have had basically 2 solid years of QB play. We are returning a lot of starters next season on both sides and have a favorable OOC schedule that should have us going into conference play with an unblemished record.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's nobody out there who wants us to be successful more than me. If Holgs continues to put up mediocre records, then he needs to go. But I also understand how a revolving door of coaching staffs can set teams back. Next season is gonna be BIG...especially with a new AD. I really hope that Crest will step up and be THE guy for the next 4 years. In four years, we have had basically 2 solid years of QB play. We are returning a lot of starters next season on both sides and have a favorable OOC schedule that should have us going into conference play with an unblemished record.

:agree:

You have to give a Coach at least 5 years to do the checks and balances on success...and in Wv case maybe 7 years..

The Big Time schools that seemed to have no issues making coaching changes and getting immediate returns due to 5 star kids going to those schools no matter who's coaching are now struggling....see Nebraska, Notre Dame, Miami, Florida and Michigan...the college landscape for the power conferences are all just about equal...

Maybe a bad analogy but, I live in the Washington DC Metro area..I watch a team like the Redskins turn coaches over ever two years it seems and look at their results...or The Bears, Denver, Cleveland, Miami, Atlanta, NYJ..

Wv and the lack of a fertile in state recruiting talent...turning coaches over every 3 years is never going to work..

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree:

You have to give a Coach at least 5 years to do the checks and balances on success...and in Wv case maybe 7 years..

The Big Time schools that seemed to have no issues making coaching changes and getting immediate returns due to 5 star kids going to those schools no matter who's coaching are now struggling....see Nebraska, Notre Dame, Miami, Florida and Michigan...the college landscape for the power conferences are all just about equal...

Maybe a bad analogy but, I live in the Washington DC Metro area..I watch a team like the Redskins turn coaches over ever two years it seems and look at their results...or The Bears, Denver, Cleveland, Miami, Atlanta, NYJ..

Wv and the lack of a fertile in state recruiting talent...turning coaches over every 3 years is never going to work..
It is easier to win with great talent, but a great coach can get more from two star talent than a crappy coach can get from five star kids. Look at what Weiss did at ND, you saying they didn't have talent? Look at the year fickel coached Ohio state, did the talent evaporate? Meyer took those same 6-6 kids to 12-0. The reason the big boys can replace a coach and not miss a beat is that they hire proven head coaches, not by hiring assistants and hoping they learn the job. Look at Marshall several years ago, they changed coaches like you change socks, yet didn't miss a beat.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marshall hired a proven HC several years ago?

Doc had never been anything but a position coach in his career.

wvu_man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reason the big boys can replace a coach and not miss a beat is that they hire proven head coaches, not by hiring assistants and hoping they learn the job.

Absolutely...I agree. BUT...Could we attract one of these proven head coaches that you are talking about? Would Urban Meyer pick WVU over a traditional big name program? Name a proven HEAD coach that you think would come to WV if given the chance.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Nick Saban was at MSU, he had mostly 2 and 3 star recruits. He coached them up, but they never got over the hump and won a Big 10 championship when he was there. His last season was by far their best… going 9-2.

Urban Meyer is certainly doing great things a tOSU. He won big at Utah with a first round QB… Alex Smith and 4 other players who were NFL draft picks. Looking at the 6-7 Buckeyes from 2011 and blaming their results entirely on coaching is a bit unfair. The program was rocked with the loss of their HC and the NCAA placing it on probation. But, give credit to Meyer…. he has had big time success at a time when the B1G is certainly down.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nick Saban has not consistently won big things at either LSU or Bama with a ton of 4 and 5 star talent. He is certainly one of the greatest coaches in college history.

Urban Meyer was the HC of a UF team that started to go into a major slide before he left there for health reasons. He left the UF program a mess… one they've yet to recover. Thankfully… his health recovered enough in just one year to be ready to coach again… and here he is in the NCG.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point is that the gap between a really special… great season… and one of disappointment is pretty narrow.

WVU fans can look back at the past, and see many an example.

Bama fans have enjoyed more success than any other school in the past 5 years, but I'm sure they'd love to have more titles today.

WVU does not have the talent to play year in and year out with the elite. They need to build their program just as Nehlen had to do with his. Nehlen's teams were not competitive for championships every year. But, once he had developed his depth and had a bunch of upperclassmen leading his teams… they came close…

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is easier to win with great talent, but a great coach can get more from two star talent than a crappy coach can get from five star kids. Look at what Weiss did at ND, you saying they didn't have talent? Look at the year fickel coached Ohio state, did the talent evaporate? Meyer took those same 6-6 kids to 12-0. The reason the big boys can replace a coach and not miss a beat is that they hire proven head coaches, not by hiring assistants and hoping they learn the job. Look at Marshall several years ago, they changed coaches like you change socks, yet didn't miss a beat.

Weis did...but chemistry and continuity didn't exsist...

IMHO Meyer and Saban are the exceptions and not the rule..

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marshall hired a proven HC several years ago?

Doc had never been anything but a position coach in his career.

Man are you thick. Marshall had a string of great coaches prior to hiring a position coach from Ohio State........

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man are you thick. Marshall had a string of great coaches prior to hiring a position coach from Ohio State........

Thanks for pointing out the obvious.

BTW, you mentioned Marshall had hired several great proven head coaches several years ago… what is your definition for several years ago? Chaump was the only hire in the last 30 years who had HC experience.

The reason the big boys can replace a coach and not miss a beat is that they hire proven head coaches, not by hiring assistants and hoping they learn the job. Look at Marshall several years ago, they changed coaches like you change socks, yet didn't miss a beat.

Going through their past….

Holliday (2010 to present)
Synder ('05-'09) - LB/DC at tOSU
Pruett ('96-'04) - DC at UF
Donnan ('90-'95) - OC at OU
Chaump ('86-'89) - HC at IUP

So… I don't see a bunch of HC selections at Marshall that had previous HC experience… going back 25 years to Donnan's hire. Chaump was HC at IUP. He was hired almost 30 years ago…

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for pointing out the obvious.

BTW, you mentioned Marshall had hired several great proven head coaches several years ago… what is your definition for several years ago? Chaump was the only hire in the last 30 years who had HC experience.

Going through their past….

Holliday (2010 to present)
Synder ('05-'09) - LB/DC at tOSU
Pruett ('96-'04) - DC at UF
Donnan ('90-'95) - OC at OU
Chaump ('86-'89) - HC at IUP

So… I don't see a bunch of HC selections at Marshall that had previous HC experience… going back 25 years to Donnan's hire. Chaump was HC at IUP. He was hired almost 30 years ago…
Funny you left out Parrish.......and only stated each man's immediate prior job.....

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny you left out Parrish.......and only stated each man's immediate prior job.....

That is funny… I mean… how fucking far back are you referencing with your several years ago remark?

Parrish… I don't follow Marshall football… don't recall him… but, he was HC at Wabash… whatever the fuck that is.

I realize I only stated their immediate job prior to being named Marshall HC, but I researched each coach… and none of them except Chaump had HC experience on their resume.

So, I didn't feel the need to go deeper… I mean… are you impressed that one of the past coaches was a TE coach before they became an OC? Or that they had been a HS HC… is that even worth mentioning?