• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tim Miles Is Doing It

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nebraska had no reputation for Miles Reynolds, a point guard for Whitney Young in Chicago. The guard said he’s maybe caught the Huskers on the Big Ten network a few times, but they were never in his thoughts.

Now, Reynolds and several other members of the Mac Irvin AAU team will watch Nebraska any chance they get.

“Before the visit I wasn’t paying Nebraska much attention at all,” he said. “But now they’ve definitely caught my eye. Me and the guys like Jahlil Okafor were talking last night that we feel like we could do something special if we came here.”

Besides Reynolds, other visitors included Okafor, the No. 2 player for the 2014 class by 247Sports, who received an offer from Nebraska during the visit. Sterling Brown, Josh Cunningham and Kyle Davis all received offers as well.

Reynolds didn’t receive an offer, but the 6-foot-2, 170-pound point guard thinks that he’ll continue to impress college coaches.

“I’ve been playing really well this spring, so the offers should start rolling in soon,” he said. “I have a really high point guard IQ and I don’t turn the ball over much. I also know my guys’ spots. I know where Jahlil likes it and I know where Paul White likes it. I know when it’s my turn to get my shots. I don’t get rattled.”

All of the players who attended this weekend hail from Chicago and have connections to Mac Irvin or Whitney Young where Nebraska assistant Chin Coleman used to coach. The connection to Coleman is what lured everyone out to Lincoln in the first place.

“This last offseason when coach Ronald Coleman joined Tim Miles and the rest of the staff they asked us to come down and check out the campus,” Reynolds said. “With AAU being so hectic, this was one of our off weekends, so we decided to drive up or fly here to check it out.”

Coleman coached Reynolds at Whitney Young, before leaving for a job with Miles at Colorado State. Reynolds said his brother, J.R. Reynolds a sophomore at Rice University, was coached by Coleman as well. He’s known the Husker assistant for six years.

While the players were familiar with Coleman, it was the first time any of them had met new Nebraska coach Tim Miles. The coach left a pretty quick impression on the visitors, with his high energy, sense of humor and fast paced style. Reynolds said everyone hit it off well with Miles.

“This is my first experience with coach Miles,” he said. “He’s a cool guy and I think he can do great things for Nebraska.”

The Chicago visitors spent time meeting current Nebraska players and took part in an open gym session. They also toured through Memorial Stadium, learning about the academic facilities. All of the recruits hung out with the players and staff for most of Saturday.

There was one highlight of the trip for Reynolds. He greatly enjoyed checking out the Hendricks Center.

“It was crazy because the facilities blew my mind,” he said. “I’ve been to a couple campuses before like Arizona, Duke, North Carolina and Ohio State, but this was right up there with them.”

Reynolds couldn’t believe how nice everything was at the practice facility. He saw the training table, workout areas, player lounge, practice court and the basketball offices.

The Chicago point guard thinks that Nebraska’s facilities could help them turn things around in a hurry.

“Coach Coleman and coach Miles were telling us this weekend that they are only a couple players away from doing something special,” he said. “You could say that about any program, because anyone that gets top guys are going to compete. I feel like Nebraska is going to be up there in the next couple of years.”

Creating something special was the theme of the weekend. Reynolds said he could tell the Nebraska staff believes they’re close to righting the ship and turning the program in the right direction.

It could just use a little help from the Windy City.

“All they need is a couple a players,” Reynolds said. “If a couple of us Chicago guys come here it could be something special.”

This is what we were hoping. For big time players to look at this program and say "hey, I could be part of something big. I could build a legacy there"

SO YOU'RE SAYING THERE'S A CHANCE.

1623026_o.gif

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone keeps saying "there's no chance we get any of these guys, but at least we have them looking....."

I seriously have a different feeling on this..........I think Chin and Miles have a better connection with these players than anybody realizes..........and I think that is a big part of the reason why Tom Osborne made this hire.

Something is happening right now and none of us realize it yet..........but I bet we're all gonna be very excited within the next couple of years with the recruits that we get to commit

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been saying it for years.................why can't we go and do what Michigan did that one year with the Fab 5?

They literally went and told the top 15 recruits in the country "hey, we want to start something special, and we want you and 4 other Freshmen to come in and play right now.....you 5 will do something nobody has done before."

Nebraska is the perfect place for something like this to happen in today's world of college basketball. Just get a group of guys excited about doing something special....

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is so fucking awesome to go to Okafor's rival's page and see Nebraska in the mix with schools like UNC, Michigan State, Ohio State, etc....