• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Thoughts at the break

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess, again, it's a matter of perception.
If this team was, say the Mets, and had 53 wins, I'd be optimistic that they were maybe a year away from contending.
But this is not the case. This team has crossed that threshold. Did that in 2010.
So disappointment isn't that the team isn't in first place.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I also believe that the leaf turned around 2010 for the Reds. They got embarrassed by a Phillie team at the end of THIER mini-3 year dynasty, predominantly for lack of throwing any lefty starting pitching at them. Dusty cited loyalty to Volquez, Arroyo and Cueto, and planned for his most impressive SP down the stretch, lefty Travis Wood ( who flirted with a perfecto against the Phil's a week earlier), to pitch game 4. The Reds were swept in 3. The anemic Giants threw 2 LHSP at the Phil's, and wound up winning it all.

So, they had an opportunity for more in 2010.

2011 looked like no one was interested from spring training. Dusty again cited Volquez as the guy he trusted, starting opening day with less than a single full games spring work in, and it pretty much went downhill from there. Too much patience for too many too unlikely to produce, in triplicate. Wildcard longshot Cardinals send off half their team with a big trophy. Gold glove D, improved pitching, and another MVP Votto performance isn't enough.

2012 was supposed to be the big move year. Transition. Rolen to Frazier, Latos and Marshall and Broxton and Homer matured. Injury free rotation and shutdown bullpen. Ludwick and Frazier walked on water for half a season without Votto, but the Reds somehow couldn't survive a week in the playoffs with Votto and without Cueto, even if they had 3 home games in a five game series, up 2-0 against the Giants. Clowns would be embarrassed, and bookies broken at the Reds situational play during that homestand. Cardinals survive longer than the Reds after losing their best player, pitcher..manager and pitching coach. Giants win it all again.

2013 ? 4 SP with stats most playoff teams would be envious of, Chapman closing. Choo, Votto, Bruce, Phillips all on good years. 53 wins at the break...and every statement ends with bemoaning the loss of Cueto and a platoon LF signed as a free agent journeyman for half the average MLB salary a year before. Several fingers behind, with 2 teams to overtake in the same division. Feast or mostly famine offense. Never steal, never bunt, rarely walk an 8 hitter with 2 on and 1b open...and cry about missing Ryan Ludwick. Where's the Bartman excuse when you need it ?

Wasted opportunities ? Yea, I think it wasn't too much to expect these guys to have at least won ONE single home playoff game in nearly 4 years. Meanwhile, Cueto is AWOL, everyone a year older, Choo and Arroyo free agents. Chapmans contract is half over without ever starting a MLB regular season game. Dusty has another year on his deal....But those are the facts.

I don't know what to expect now, but it's already less than I expected.

Kate Upton

Hotter than Kate Upton
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My thoughts at the break...

This team has under achieved, has had multiple injuries to several key players, and has flat out stunk for at least half of the season so far...

But here we are, 5 games out of 1st (not insurmountable by any stretch) comfortably in the playoffs as of today, and I don't believe we've seen the best baseball from this team yet.

This team's rotation 1 through 5 is as good as anybody's, which will prevent long losing streaks, we should get all of these key pieces back for the September stretch run, and the schedule that month is pretty damn easy.

No time to throw in the towel yet fellas!

Ryanballa

Reds Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our Reds are the best team in this division, we are pretty banged up and they havnet even played close to the kind of baseball they can play.With all the struggling and injures we are still just 4 games out. I gotta feeling this team is gonna get on a tear, A good start would be this weekend against the Pirates.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...kay.

BrockForBroglio

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
still a 3rd place team in the central

BrockForBroglio

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our Reds are the best team in this division, we are pretty banged up and they havnet even played close to the kind of baseball they can play.With all the struggling and injures we are still just 4 games out. I gotta feeling this team is gonna get on a tear, A good start would be this weekend against the Pirates.

Ryan. Ryan.....You sound pretty optimistic, just like the CBS game tracker boards. Keep the faith and hope you can beat the Pirates in a 1 game WC playoff

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ryan. Ryan.....You sound pretty optimistic, just like the CBS game tracker boards. Keep the faith and hope you can beat the Pirates in a 1 game WC playoff

There's no need to troll. Unlike CBS, we have some control over it here.

smokerch15

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep my thoughts simple: as currently constructed and under the current on-field leadership, this is maybe a playoff team... but not a championship team.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, Smoker. There are just too many consistently unpredictable hitters in this lineup. The holes are not going to allow for a big inning and they aren't going to let the team get a big or even decent lead often enough.

The pitching, no matter how good it can be, and I question the hype, cannot endure a stretch when the offense is inclined to put up 3 hits or even less sometimes -- against beatable pitchers.

Third place seems comfortable for Dusty. He'd have to get stronger meds if he went for 2nd place.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dusty seems to make it harder than it has to be...especially in odd numbered years, for some reason.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You here Bill Cunninham on WLW700 Radio about a half hour ago talking to the Reds? Not sure hell have a job tomorrow, but he let them have it, collectively and individually, including Dusty. Hit on every sore subject of mine, and told Dusty that if he didn't win this year, he would insist the Castellini's fire him. I wish I had it on tape.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt the players pay much attention to Wild Willie.

redsfan03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of weird how Mike Leake has the best ERA among the Reds' starters. Who would have thought that? Anyone know when Cueto is expected to return? He's got to change that Tiant twist delivery or else his obliques will be permanently torn.

redlegs@hokies

Trout Fishing Aficionado
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of weird how Mike Leake has the best ERA among the Reds' starters. Who would have thought that? Anyone know when Cueto is expected to return? He's got to change that Tiant twist delivery or else his obliques will be permanently torn.

I have to say that I am completely surprised that Leake is leading the staff right now. I'll take it though.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For a guy that's supposed to be able to hit sure can't get a bunt down though.