• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

This Is The Most Boring Trade Deadline Period In The History Of MLB

Burgh Sports Rule

Let's Go Bucs!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that it stems from a few things actually...

1 The Extra WC: Too many teams think that they are in the race, when actually they really are not.

2 Teams wanting top minor league prospects for what amount to average at best upgrades. I realize when a team makes a trade that you want a good return for the player that you're giving up, but these asking prices for some of these rental players are just ridiculous.

3 Big demand for help, with not enough ggod players being available for trades. Unless, of course, you want to offer up your entire minor league system for somebody. Which is totally nuts!

All this, plus other factors have added up to a very boring ( To This Point ) MLB Trade Deadline Period:

I hope this changes, because the Bucs could certainly use some upgrades to their roster & the bench.

The upgrades will be tough to find however, with very few trading partners & other teams wanting the sun & the moon, for what amount to average upgrades for a contending club.

Which makes things, all in all, very boring thus far.

Thoughts...

Burgh

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally agree. The deadline has been one big nonevent and it has got to be due to the extra WC more than anything.

I was terrified the Cards were going to get Garza.

ugafan6612

Oh I really like boobs
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah pretty boring indeed. My Braves are looking for a new starter but most that are available aren't that great right now.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Top prospects for Stanton, okay I understand that, but the WSox wanting top prospects for Rios/Ramirez is crazy talk.

Taillon and Polanco can be on the team next June, I say we just keep em. Bringing up 2 top 20 prospects next summer, excites me a hell of alot more that picking up league avg vet making 20mill a year.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yes this is very boring. I think it has something to do with the fact that the few players that we know of that have been made available are really of no help to teams in contention. Honestly, the best hitter available that I can think of is Alex Rios, and he isn't really any better than Jose Tabata and if he is slightly better, he is definitely not a large enough upgrade, even with years of control, to give up any prospect of value.

I did read today that Hurdle submitted his trade wish list to Huntington, and that Neil was working the phones. Also read that Neil continues to call on Stanton. I really think Loria has zero desire to trade Stanton right now, and he probably shouldn't. That does not mean that I would not call though, heck I'd call every hour on the hour.

So if Stanton truely isn't moving, you have to look elsewhere. Toronto might be thinking of selling, they have some releivers and some interresting bats. The one hitter they might part with would be Colby Rasmus. That is just a guess on my partand probably not likely to happen, but for a major league ready pitching prospect just maybe. Then there is Seattle, n ut it seems that their asking price is pretty high on anyone that might be available.

I think we probably need to look at the next tier of player, those that would be definite upgrades but lack that star power.

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
if it is boring, that means nobody will change very much.

that would be great news for us as since our 1-5 start, we are 59-36, making us the best record with a little room to spare.

i will take that and our chances in the playoffs. except for the cards, the playoffs will all be about pitching, low scoring games, matchups, defense, and timel hitting and clutch late inning pitching.

we are good except the timely hitting and all the others - dodgers, braves, reds, nats, cant hit either.
should come down to LAD - they bought a pennant, and the cards. i have no problem with that. we are a year early to the party and i am thrilled with the progress.
only hoping liriano and locke can pitch like this next year, and cole takes the next step and morton is fully healthy with his new powered up arm.
add a stellar BP and a stable of other pitching options and we should be able to move forward next yer with mercer playing the whole year, and tsanchez helping out.
RF will be an issue, but our presly, lambo, tabata, polanco will be better than this year.

Burgh Sports Rule

Let's Go Bucs!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if it is boring, that means nobody will change very much.

that would be great news for us as since our 1-5 start, we are 59-36, making us the best record with a little room to spare.

i will take that and our chances in the playoffs. except for the cards, the playoffs will all be about pitching, low scoring games, matchups, defense, and timel hitting and clutch late inning pitching.

we are good except the timely hitting and all the others - dodgers, braves, reds, nats, cant hit either.
should come down to LAD - they bought a pennant, and the cards. i have no problem with that. we are a year early to the party and i am thrilled with the progress.
only hoping liriano and locke can pitch like this next year, and cole takes the next step and morton is fully healthy with his new powered up arm.
add a stellar BP and a stable of other pitching options and we should be able to move forward next yer with mercer playing the whole year, and tsanchez helping out.
RF will be an issue, but our presly, lambo, tabata, polanco will be better than this year.

I agree with you for the most part sychmd. I think with what the Pirates have coming from the minors in future seasons, that the Bucs could be in a position to compete for the playoffs & more, for yrs to come.

Provided most of our young prospects turn into what we think they can & will be?

However, keep this in mind... I'm sure the Nationals felt when they shut Strasburg down right before the playoffs last yr & they ended up losing in the playoffs last yr, no big deal, we have a great team & we will be right back there next yr.

Look at the Nats now, Big Disappointments.

My point being, their are no guarantees in sports.

You need to take your shots at the playoffs when you have them, because you don't know when, or if you will get back there.

I don't want to overpay or sell the farm at all, however, I would like to see the Pirates get a couple of upgrades to make themselves stronger, to try to win this division.

What it will take to do that & at what price, is for Neal Huntington to decide.

I support him if he makes a move or two & I support him, if he has to stand pat, due to these crazy sticker prices.

I think we should try as best we can to get some upgrades though, because, we don't know if we will be in this same position next yr?

Just my thoughts.

Burgh

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
thanks burgh.
i understand your thoughts.
i guess i look at what the past WS winners looked like and i dont see us looking like that this year even if we added 2 major pieces. yes some winners were wildcard teams, but look at what they actually had on their roster. we are not like that. we have potential to be in a couple years.

we are overachieving and ahead of schedule. we arent WS winners. my 12 yo little league heart wants to think so, but my 50 yo look at the real evidence heart knows we arent.
if we had money to spend every year, big money, then we can erase mistakes, buy a cuban, take on major contracts, and dig out.
since we arent that kind of team, we have to be more cautious as our margin for error is minimal. maybe next year of in 2015 when we know what our major prospects look like or project to and we are really just one piece away from not just eeking in the playoffs but really wining it all.

that is why i say be cautious this year.
i live in philly. the phils overspent to get over the hump and win it all a few years ago and are in free fall now after a 3 yr run. nothing on the farm, fat contracts they cant get rid of, and terrible play at the MLB level.

we dont have to gamble this year, although we are so close for the first time in 20 years, we can wait and keep adding to the foundation, not stripping from it by dumping some foundational prospects.

tsmbaseball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't mind a move for Stanton, even if it means surrendering two top-tier prospects. Arguably the best power bat in the National Leauge with three more years of control through his arbitration years is a great acquisition, even if you're surrendering a package that starts with Jameson Taillon and Gregory Polanco. I would think he'd be somewhere around the $8-9 million mark. It would instantly improve the woeful offensive problems in Pittsburgh.

If Miami was listening at all on Giancarlo, it'd be tough to top a package starting there, that's for sure.

As far as Alex Rios, if you get the 2012 version, he'd be a great addition to the club. The only way he really makes sense is if Chicago is eating a good portion of his contract, in my opinion.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering the prices paid already, I'm not surprised. Tigers are driving up the price on decent relievers.

Also, glad the Pirates aren't in the fray as of yet.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep coming back to the same two players after examining what is supposedly available. Kendrys Morales and Raul Ibanez. I want both of them for 1B and RF respectively because they're both left-handed hitters (Morales is switch hitter).

It just doesn't make much sense to me for Neil to acquire a RF and/or 1B in a deadline deal if they're not left-handed hitters because PNC Park just isn't a place where right-handers go to mash. Morales is having an average season and will be a UFA at season's end. Ibanez is also on an expiring contract. Because of this, you would assume the asking price wouldn't be for one our top three prospects (Taillon, Polanco, Hanson).

All of this hinges on if the M's are willing to sell as they've been on quite a hot streak. They currently sit 7.5 games out of the AL wildcard spot, and are 12 games out of the ALW.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree about Morales, he's actually switch hitter though, which is actually better than just left handed IMO.

Not an Ibanez guy, don't like him as a hitter and he is beyond awful in the OF defensively.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would go for Morales, but Ibanez I'd be less excited about. He'd be fine as a bench bat, and if memory serves, he's been good in pinch hitting roles in his career, but I don't want him patrolling right field.

Morales would be a nice pickup, playing first and moving Jones to RF, where he could platoon with Lambo if we call him up, leaving Tabata as a pinch hitter/runner and defensive substitution, and ultimately strengthening both our every day lineup and our bench. It might not be a bad idea to find a bargain basement bench option who can play third, just so Pedro can get a day off every now and then.

Doctor Krieger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But the OP is right, extremely boring right now....if teams like the Phils or Mariners decide to clean house, then it could pick up in a hurry.

Pirates looking for an outfield bat right now?

Etrius24

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If I had a wish list it would be an outfielder ...

I kind of thought maybe the Rockies would be sellers... and that some team would step up and make a decent offer for Cuddyer! I know the stats are inflated because of coors field and all.. but his OPS is .966! He has an ops of .880 on the road this year so the guy is still hitting great!

I did read a while back that the Rockies were not interested in trading Cuddyer... But their play off chances are very slim.

Cuddyer has another year on his contract and he does make a lot of money...( 11 million ) So that is something that works against him coming to Pittsburgh... But the Rockies need arms...So trading one of their better pitching prospects might possibly entice the Rockies.

If the Bucs are going to do something, and they are not going to land Stanton.. the bat I want to see them land is Cuddyer! maybe they can sweeten the deal to the rockies a little to get the Rockies to eat a little of the contract.

Cuddyer would possibly be the second best hitter on the team... Pretty hard to get a bat like that at the trade deadline.

It would be better if Cuddyer was a left handed batter...but I do not want to bring in a subpar left handed bat for the sake of it... I want a bat that is a difference maker... This year that is Cuddyer!

I understand that Cuddyer is not great in the outfield.. but he is not atrocious or anything. Cuddyer is hitting .302 and getting on base almost 37% of the time away from coors field... This is leaps and bounds better than Tabata or Snider...

This of course is all a pipe dream of course I cannot see the Bucs increasing the payroll enough to add Cuddyer.

Etrius24

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Someone Mentioned the Blue Jays

What about Adam Lind?

He hits righties a ton! Left handed bat who is almost strictly a platoon batter... He has a .850 OPS overall and has a .920 OPS against righties! He hits better away from Skydome so changing home parks would likely help him! He has a .930 OPS overall on the road.

He does not make a ton of money.. He would be affordable ( I think ) in a trade... He does not fill the biggest need.. but he is an offensive upgrade for this team at first base... and he upgrades the bench.

They could have a true platoon at first with Lind and Sanchez at first.

Because Lind does not make mega bucks.. and the asking price would be reasonable.. this trade makes sense... The Jays are so out of it, I would think they have to be looking at the future.

Etrius24

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Another name.... Nate Schierholtz

Bats left, plays outfield... He is having a really solid year... He is a bit of a journeyman so the asking price will be reasonable and he does not make a lot of money.

Not as likely to do a trade within the same division, but the cubs are such a mess that they have to look everywhere to get better.

This might be an affordable upgrade for the outfield bat that can post an ops of .850 for the bucs down the stretch. Schierholtz makes 2.25 million this season and is arb. eligible after the season.

damien232307

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schierholtz has been a bum his whole career. He happens to have had one decent hot stretch. Let him go somewhere else. I would rather keep whatever prospect we would have to give for him. We can't overpay and give up something decent for trash. He is basically Travis Snider with two good months. I would rather play Tabata Presley or bring up Lambo.

Etrius24

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Damien

I realize that Shierholtz is not some incredible player... But if he is having one good season that is all we need him for...

He does not make a lot of money.. No long term contract obligation and he would come cheap enough that you would not have to give up one of the top prospects.

If he gave the Bucs 2 months where he slugged .500 and has an ops of .850... I could care less what he did for the rest of his career.