• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

This Board

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe this is what happens when you win the division and go on to win the WS. You sort of bask in the sunlight of a championship and have no real pressing needs at the moment. Signed both Pagan and Scoots .... pretty much a good off season for us.

Wonder what this off season would have yielded if we had in fact lost in either the NLDS or the NLCS? Would we have been more inclined to persue some significant upgardes? I'm not sure we would have been content with just resigning Pagan and Scoots ....

That's a great question and the answer is probably yes. Which is interesting because if we had lost in the NLCS or NLDS (especially the NLDS...we barely scraped up a win in game 3 vs the Reds) it wouldn't have meant anything about how good or bad we were as a team. It was a SSS luckfest and we got lucky. You have to be good to get lucky but all the playoff teams are good.

So yeah, because we win it all we say 'let's reload and go again'. And why not?
If we'd have lost there'd have been a lot of pressure to try to 'get better' even though we weren't any better of a team for having gotten the breaks we did.

OzzieGiant

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
If we'd have lost there'd have been a lot of pressure to try to 'get better' even though we weren't any better of a team for having gotten the breaks we did.

I think this is a significant reason as to why it is so hard to repeat - the SSS Luck plays a big role and then the 'Winners' don't upgrade as much as the 'losers', because well they won.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a great question and the answer is probably yes. Which is interesting because if we had lost in the NLCS or NLDS (especially the NLDS...we barely scraped up a win in game 3 vs the Reds) it wouldn't have meant anything about how good or bad we were as a team. It was a SSS luckfest and we got lucky. You have to be good to get lucky but all the playoff teams are good.

So yeah, because we win it all we say 'let's reload and go again'. And why not?

And with the crop of FAs before them, it could have led to bigger overpays for lesser known commodities. Turns out, it's a good thing to win the World Series.

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we have just been insulted. By someone who is almost bereft of vCash, no less.

Is this like saying that Buster Posey is "slightly better" than Eurgenio Velez?

New Jersey is slightly better than Bakersfield?

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats 11704. It's awesome to get your perspective as well as Freeports from NY. I hope you both enjoyed the hell out of it and you didn't have to stay up too late celebrating!

To steal a line from gp from way back at the disney board, "you're an asset to this community".

Coming from North Carolina, I am grateful for a community that makes me feel like I am plugged in. I know we grate on each other from time to time, but that happens in any good family. Thank you, one and all, for the gift you bring to this board, and for playing your roles with excellence - much like the team of which we are fans.

If I ever get to SF, I'm going to buy each of you a beer.

Go Giants. On to 2013.

Last edited by a moderator:

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this is a significant reason as to why it is so hard to repeat - the SSS Luck plays a big role and then the 'Winners' don't upgrade as much as the 'losers', because well they won.

That's pretty much it, yep

:nod:

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the board has now officially jumped the shark...

Not al all...we got our ladies in the real world, last thing we need is to have to clean up our acts here

Then again, it is still boring offseason pixel wasting time
:minion:

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not al all...we got our ladies in the real world, last thing we need is to have to clean up our acts here

Then again, it is still boring offseason pixel wasting time
:minion:

This place reminds me of Al Bundy's group NO MA'AM.

TKellion

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
BeerMe is an interesting example of something I dont think of that often. I think of us as a collection of 12-18 guys who hang out and talk about our obsession. In reality, there are probably a number of lurkers who hang out here almost as much as we do but never/rarely post.

Does that make us regular posters celebrities?
I think I fit into the category of lurker who rarely posts :D If someone has already said what equals how I feel on any subject,I wont waste time saying the same thing.But I read through most every thread .

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I fit into the category of lurker who rarely posts :D If someone has already said what equals how I feel on any subject,I wont waste time saying the same thing.But I read through most every thread .

I think most boards have a good share of lurkers. I'll post ocassionally but spend most of my time reading through threads. All boards have their levels of disagreement but some boards have a subset of posters that are there simply to cause havoc. Tito, Cazic, and the kid that had the 10,000 alts of which 9,999 were banned, all come to mind. The Disney board had/has some interesting contributors. One of my personal favorites is/was GRABSOME. He was a something I never really saw before on a board. He was the closest thing to to a narrator I had ever seen. He didn't really participate in board discussions, he simply narrated what was happening with the Giants at that time. And he was good! I remember looking through the board one day and realizing that GRABSOME had initiated about 25% of all the existing threads but the only threads he actually participated in were the ones he started. I did ask him why and his response was interesting. He said he didn't want to spend the day arguing with the trolls (Tito and company) but he wanted to be part of the community. This 'narration technique' was his contribution.