• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Think before you donate

beantownmaniac

I thought growing old would take longer
Hoopla Cash
$ 304.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone e-mailed this to me. I was really shocked to find out some of this info.

The American Red Cross
President and CEO Marsha J. Evans'

salary for the year was $651,957 plus expenses

MARCH OF DIMES
It is called the March of Dimes because

only a dime for every 1 dollar is given to the needy.

The United Way
President Brian Gallagher

receives a $375,000 base salary along with numerous expense benefits.

UNICEF
CEO Caryl M. Stern receives

$1,200,000 per year (100k per month) plus all expenses including a ROLLS ROYCE.

Less than 5 cents of your donated dollar goes to the cause.

GOODWILL
CEO and owner Mark Curran profits $2.3 million a year.
Goodwill is a very catchy name for his business.

You donate to his business and then he sells the items for PROFIT.
He pays nothing for his products and pays his workers minimum wage!
Nice Guy.
$0.00 goes to help anyone! Stop giving to this man.

Donate to these charities instead:

The Salvation Army
Commissioner, Todd Bassett receives a small salary of only

$13,000 per year (plus housing) for managing this $2 billion dollar organization.

96 percent of donated dollars go to the cause.

The American Legion
National Commander receives a $0.00 zero salary.
Your donations go to help Veterans and their families and youth!

The Veterans of Foreign Wars

The Disabled American Veterans

The Military Order of Purple Hearts

The Vietnam Veterans Association

Make a Wish: For children's last wishes.

100% goes to funding trips or special wishes for a dying child.

St. Jude Research Hospital

100% goes towards funding and helping Children with Cancer who have no insurance and can

Ronald McDonald Houses

All monies go to running the houses for parents who have critical Children in the hospital.

100% goes to housing, and feeding the families.

Lions Club International

100% OF DONATIONS GO TO HELP THE BLIND, BUY HEARING AIDES, SUPPORT MEDICAL MISSIONS AROUND THE WORLD. THEIR LATEST UNDERTAKING

IS MEASLES VACCINATIONS (ONLY $1.00 PER SHOT).

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Donators gonna donate.

:bowl:

beantownmaniac

I thought growing old would take longer
Hoopla Cash
$ 304.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Donators gonna donate.

:bowl:

The top 5 really have me shaking my head. I used to have money taken out of my check for the United Way every week. Never again. Make a Wish and St. Jude's from now on

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I give to the MS foundation because my brother passed away from complications from that terrible disease. Also to the cancer foundation because of my sister, mom and dad passing away from it.

Forgot to mention the city mission for food for the homeless.

IndyAndy

I can't reMember
Paddock Stand, Section 23, Row QQ, Seat 4
Hoopla Cash
$ 545.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like I don't give to any of the worst on your list: I do give to some of the good ones (Salvation Army, R.M. Houses). I wonder how the Alzheimer's Association and the USO rate, because I give to them regularly as well.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The top 5 really have me shaking my head. I used to have money taken out of my check for the United Way every week. Never again. Make a Wish and St. Jude's from now on

Lots of people milking other peoples' good will out there.

Pathetic really.

I can understand some high salaries for those managing some of the bigger charities; you don't just let hundreds of millions of dollars do their own thing.

What's alarming is the percentage that actually goes to the cause the charity has chosen to represent.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone e-mailed this to me. I was really shocked to find out some of this info.

The American Red Cross
President and CEO Marsha J. Evans'

salary for the year was $651,957 plus expenses

This is the only group I know anything about. After 9-11 some places wrote bad things about the Red Cross and how they spend the money they get. Some of the numbers were false, and some were exagerated. Charity watch dog sites give them a 4 star rating with only 4% administrative costs. That sounds fair to me. As for her salary (if that's real - see below) that job has to be a financial and logistical nightmare so I can understand the salary being a high one.

The excerpts from the list in your first post are from an email that has been around since 2005. Snopes and other sites listed it as wildly inaccurate then and even more so now. Someone took the time to create a false list in an effort to persuade people not to donate to those organizations. I hope there is a special place in hell for people like that. There falsehoods may have led to people not getting some help they could have benefited from.

Last edited by a moderator:

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Executive salaries do not really bother me, a lot of these groups are international ones and to attract good people costs money.

According to reports The United Way spends between 85% and 89% of the money it receives on its programs. That is very good.

The Salvation Army is usually the 'good guy' in emails like this, but according to reports they are far less efficient than a lot of the other charities. The Red Cross is often the 'bad guy' and they are very efficient.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welcome to snopes.com, the definitive Internet reference source for urban legends, folklore, myths, rumors, and misinformation. Use the search box above to locate your item of interest, or click one of the icons below to browse the site by category.

not sure. some charities cost to run I know but some of those numbers are amazingly high. that being said what are the true sources of these numbers? do they come from the books of each charity?

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wayne,
What is the source on that? A few of them sound accurate, but a number of them seem WAY off the mark.

On a related note, getting $650K for running an organization as large as the Red Cross is pretty damn reasonable.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wayne,
What is the source on that? A few of them sound accurate, but a number of them seem WAY off the mark.

On a related note, getting $650K for running an organization as large as the Red Cross is pretty damn reasonable.

ill agree with that as well. I prefer more lower numbers for top positions in charities but if you get the best and they deliver the most then that one salary is nothing compared to what they would actually deliver. also for Mark Cuban does he claim he is a charity then takes whatever he gets and turns it into profit? isnt that illegal? if he is just running a company by that name and people are just donating to him thinking its a charity then the people should probably wake up. that one really doesn't make sense to me

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GOODWILL
CEO and owner Mark Curran profits $2.3 million a year.
Goodwill is a very catchy name for his business.

You donate to his business and then he sells the items for PROFIT.
He pays nothing for his products and pays his workers minimum wage!
Nice Guy.
$0.00 goes to help anyone! Stop giving to this man.

Here is a good example. Mark Curran is a fictitious person. Jim Gibbons is the CEO of Goodwill. Goodwill, a non-profit organization that can't possibly turn a profit by law, actually has a Web page about this fake e-mail.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ill agree with that as well. I prefer more lower numbers for top positions in charities but if you get the best and they deliver the most then that one salary is nothing compared to what they would actually deliver. also for Mark Cuban does he claim he is a charity then takes whatever he gets and turns it into profit? isnt that illegal? if he is just running a company by that name and people are just donating to him thinking its a charity then the people should probably wake up. that one really doesn't make sense to me

Are you suggesting that the Dallas Mavericks are a charity? If so, you may be onto an idea that can end the NHL lockout.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you suggesting that the Dallas Mavericks are a charity? If so, you may be onto an idea that can end the NHL lockout.

sorry it was a mistype. :D I couldnt edit it after the time elapse. but the point is the same.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
beantown dont take this towards you I understand your point and I actually 100% agree with it you have to be careful who you donate to. that is 100% legit hell I fucking got caught up in invisible children and gave them $50. I bet $49 of that doesnt go to the children now that I learned more about that group. but with info of what you posted its like those status updates on facebook.

like this and save this child
like this and share this to stop animal abuse

24828178.jpg

but I do like the title Think Before you Donate and your meaning behind it. thats all that matters in the end

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but I do like the title Think Before you Donate and your meaning behind it. thats all that matters in the end

Yeah, I think we've all learned more about being careful when we donate, about being careful that we examine an e-mail before we pass it along... and a little about dinosaurs.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one I trust most is the "Keep the kids off of Bosses lawn" organization. It cost a lot of money for ammo and by having a nice green lawn it is helping the environment by fighting carbon emissions. The neighborhood also looks much better and keeps the home values up.

Just PM me with your credit card info and I will see that a donation is made to this very good charity.

Thank You.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I think we've all learned more about being careful when we donate, about being careful that we examine an e-mail before we pass it along... and a little about dinosaurs.

:pizza: