• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

These wrestling threads amaze me...

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
be honest, you grow up watching wrestling, you don't even truly leave it.

This. I grew up watching wrestling with my dad, uncles and cousins. Wrestlmania I was the first show I ever saw. Couple years later we went to WrestleMania 3 in Pontiac. WWF was a way of life for every kid growing up in the 80's. It went hand and hand with the MTV generation.

Wrestling now is like a different product. I watch because I'm a life long fan but being a fan now is not like it used to be.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a modern-day Gladiator thing.

It's all fake, and the soap-opera storylines are silly, but a lot of the stars are pretty amazing athletes. It's all about the spectacle.

All that said, I haven't watched pro wrestling since I was a kid.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I followed wrestling until about 2000 when it seemed to get a bit stale. I found out a few years ago that a mod on another site was a former WWE wrestler. He was a good guy to chat with and he was a good mod too. Much respect to those who walk in those shoes.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This. I grew up watching wrestling with my dad, uncles and cousins. Wrestlmania I was the first show I ever saw. Couple years later we went to WrestleMania 3 in Pontiac. WWF was a way of life for every kid growing up in the 80's. It went hand and hand with the MTV generation.

Wrestling now is like a different product. I watch because I'm a life long fan but being a fan now is not like it used to be.

Which is the huge problem since the "attitude era". The WWE's biggest ratings now that they get is when they bring back old stars like the Rock, D-X or show case older stars like the Undertaker. Maybe the writing is just terrible but the writing is much worse with Impact wrestling.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I look at it like a TV series, but live. It's to the point where I could care less how real or fake it is. I don't think it's choreographed. I think it's more like an improve dance. They know what each person can take and how to fall. That is part of the whole training for years thing.

Some of it is real, some is fake. They really don't hide the fact that it is fixed or an act anymore. Watch a documentary or when things don't go as planned (like when Jerry Lawler gets a heart attack). Michael Cole made sure the audience know that it was not part of the planned act and that his heart attack was real.

But I like trying to guess where they go with a storyline next. I like seeing how they turn to a good guy to a bad guy. Who works best with each other or against each other. I like guessing what is happening next and then deciding if I like what happened.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's Monday/Thursday night, you got nothing better to do, you swing back a few brews, toke a few bowls, and watch pro wrestling. Been doing it since I was in high school.

Also if your favorite sports team sucks (like the Steelers this past year or how the Pirates usually are) pro wrestling is a good way to deal with it.

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't closely followed wrestling since I was about 13, but I was obsessed with it from about age 8-13. I still follow very loosely, and will watch about 10-15 minutes of Raw when I'm flipping through the channels. I know the big names and the important parties involved, but that's about it. It's just not the way it used to be.

But those who say wrestling is "fake" are poorly informed. The outcomes are predetermined and- to an extent- the matches are scripted/choreographed. Yes, the punches and kicks don't land. But there are some things you can't fake. You can't fake gravity. You can't fake impact. You can't fake the perfect timing and positioning of doing a flip off a 5' elevated structure and landing in a precise location with your weight coming down in a precise way so that you don't collapse your opponents' lung. Have you ever been in a wrestling ring and felt the ring ropes and the mat? They're not exactly cushiony. These guys have incredibly high thresholds for pain and- like "real athletes"- suffer real injuries and "play" through real pain.

Most of those guys are incredible athletes. Most played a "legitimate sport" at some level. They suffer injuries just like "real athletes" do. They have a grueling schedule that sees them on the road throughout the world damn near year-round. Wrestlers do not have it easy and very few make it. It's so degrading and insulting to brush what they do as "fake" without really understanding what they do. The punishment they put themselves through just to entertain people is reason enough to respect them. They also put tireless hours into their craft so that they can do all this without killing each other.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SILENCE!!! (Channeling my inner Damian Sandow)

I loved WWF and still find sporadic interest in WWE. Raw is 3 hours which provides for quite a bit of snooze time, but their better portions are more entertaining than any of the competing "reality TV" shows or singing contests competing with it.

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched it when i was a kid, but haven't since.

I was into NWA?WCW back when the horsemen were brawling with Sting and Barry Windham.

"MY SHOOOOOOES....COST MOOOOOORE THAN YOUR HOUSE!!!!"

[YOUTUBE]iy-LQH8N6Ug[/YOUTUBE]

Jonas_steven

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wrestling is like a soap opera for men. Of course we know it is fake but have you ever tried to do a spinning backflip off the top rope? That is some of the toughest, scripted choreograph you will ever see. I don't follow it like I used to as a kid but I can definitely appreciate the art of "wrestling."

Jonas_steven

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't fuck with some of those wrestling guys. I have met many in person and some of them make lineman look small! Then again, Goldberg is like the nicest guy you will ever meet!