• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

There is no big D in Texas

Jekku

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
41145_THUMB_IPAD.jpg

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TOtal defense:
North Texas #79
TCU: #87
Texas A&M: #96
Texas TEch: #99
SMU: #106
Texas: #115

(Ignoring Houston and Baylor, but damn that is terrible..
So Texas has fallen a spot and now the 6th best team in the state. At this rate even Texas El Paso will pass you.

taupride97

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TOtal defense:
North Texas #79
TCU: #87
Texas A&M: #96
Texas TEch: #99
SMU: #106
Texas: #115

(Ignoring Houston and Baylor, but damn that is terrible..
Well, when you leave out the top 2 teams in the state, I think you could say the same for many.

taupride97

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, I get it that the Big XII defenses are "overworked". (Poor things.) That's the excuse for why their rankings are so low. But what really gripes my ass is no one in this conference can tackle........even in the first half when they should be fresh. Just waving at someone as they run past you isn't tackling. Playing 10 yards off the line of scrimmage so the receiver can do his version of free-style floor exercises before he MIGHT get hit isn't tackling. Playing prevent defense and giving up yardage like the French Army isn't playing defense. The conference just needs to admit we have some piss poor defensive coaches and defensive systems that contribute to the situation too.
At least TTU has an excuse. We just have terrible defensive players :tsk:

Jtrain80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,750.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know Switzer had some hellacious offenses but he also had some shut down defenses, even when everyone was running the wishbone/triple option. Stoops has never had defense that compares to some of Barry's (or Bud's).

O3 & 04, 08 if Curtis Lofton hadn't gone pro.

Superbowl MVP last year was from Big12, just sayin.

On a technicality. We generally don't claim a&m for any reason.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
O3 & 04, 08 if Curtis Lofton hadn't gone pro.
Stoops has never had a defense that has held opponents to 100 points or less during an entire season like Switzer...given the number of games played Stoops defenses give up over 2x time the points per game as some of Barry's defenses, and Bud had some better than that. Yeah Switzer had some down years but his defense was still superior to anything I've seen from Stoops.

Jtrain80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,750.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stoops has never had a defense that has held opponents to 100 points or less during an entire season like Switzer...given the number of games played Stoops defenses give up over 2x time the points per game as some of Barry's defenses, and Bud had some better than that. Yeah Switzer had some down years but his defense was still superior to anything I've seen from Stoops.

I would love to agree, but I don't remember those yrs.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love to agree, but I don't remember those yrs.
I was born during the "The Streak" so kind of young to really know anything about Bud, but I was at OU and in Norman (except for 4 years in the army) during the Fairbanks/Switzer years. For all the accolades of offense Chuck and Barry put together some tough ass defenses in the 70s...

Jtrain80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,750.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was born during the "The Streak" so kind of young to really know anything about Bud, but I was at OU and in Norman (except for 4 years in the army) during the Fairbanks/Switzer years. For all the accolades of offense Chuck and Barry put together some tough ass defenses in the 70s...

God bless Mrs Selmon.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if you think about that you will understand the failure in your logic. Ask yourself why sophomores and freshmen are starting, than you may understand why people have said Mack left a train wreck

Not really. The schemes and game planning are just terrible. Anybody can see that. Also, regarding these freshmen and sophomores, it's a strong possibility these guys are just overrated and aren't living up to expectations which means the scouting is crap which falls back to the head coach in charge. Just b/c you're young doesn't mean you automatically forget to tackle and play football. Spare me the young excuse. It's just bad coaching and bad players on the defensive side. The offense is full of freshmen and sophomores and is doing fine. That's what happens when you have competent coaching and good players. Stop blaming Mack, that excuse is played out. You would not have a job if you were under performing your 1st two years and not showing improvement on the 3rd year in the real world and using the excuse of blaming the prior management in charge would only get you fired faster.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Texas has fallen a spot and now the 6th best team in the state. At this rate even Texas El Paso will pass you.
We're already ahead of them in total defense. Tied for 96th with the aggies.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really. The schemes and game planning are just terrible. Anybody can see that. Also, regarding these freshmen and sophomores, it's a strong possibility these guys are just overrated and aren't living up to expectations which means the scouting is crap which falls back to the head coach in charge. Just b/c you're young doesn't mean you automatically forget to tackle and play football. Spare me the young excuse. It's just bad coaching and bad players on the defensive side. The offense is full of freshmen and sophomores and is doing fine. That's what happens when you have competent coaching and good players. Stop blaming Mack, that excuse is played out. You would not have a job if you were under performing your 1st two years and not showing improvement on the 3rd year in the real world and using the excuse of blaming the prior management in charge would only get you fired faster.

I have already said I am off the Strong train. That doesn't mean I can't acknowledge that Mack left Texas in far worse shape than he found it. What Strong has done in 3 years has nothing to do with how Mack left the program.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're already ahead of them in total defense. Tied for 96th with the aggies.
Damn. 7th best program in the state. Charlie didn't just sink the ship, he blew it up beyond recognition.

RIP Texas

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have already said I am off the Strong train. That doesn't mean I can't acknowledge that Mack left Texas in far worse shape than he found it. What Strong has done in 3 years has nothing to do with how Mack left the program.
Mack left it in terrible shape and covered up a lot of BS and you guys bought everything he sold you until the end. To be fair it took strong 2 years to work all that crap out and still doesn't have the o-line, QB or leadership he needs to make a run.

I would give him at least 5 years.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mack left it in terrible shape and covered up a lot of BS and you guys bought everything he sold you until the end. To be fair it took strong 2 years to work all that crap out and still doesn't have the o-line, QB or leadership he needs to make a run.

I would give him at least 5 years.

Been hitting that Wild Turkey too much. Offense isn't the problem. It's defense, which was supposed to be Strong's specialty. Texas has the #20 total offense and #17 scoring offense in the country, along with the #18 rushing offense. Mack Brown has nothing to to with this. Strong fucked up when he hired his coaching staff. Mack was still winning 8 games with the supposed shit talent he left behind.