• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Theories on the Canada Curse

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
The other thing I will add is that the fact that a Canadian based team hasn't won the Cup in 30 years is more a talking point to generate clicks and foster discussion than it is a sore point for Canadian hockey fans (in my opinion). Some people seem to think as soon as your team is eliminated/doesn't make the playoffs, you should root for a Canadian team. That is a bunch of malarkey (thanks Biden!). I'm a Flames fan and I'm never going to cheer for the Oilers. I mean, does a Man City fan cheer for United? Does an Everton fan cheer for Liverpool?
yeah, my dad all of a sudden started cheering for Toronto and Edmonton.
I have filed my emancipation paperwork.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The other thing I will add is that the fact that a Canadian based team hasn't won the Cup in 30 years is more a talking point to generate clicks and foster discussion than it is a sore point for Canadian hockey fans (in my opinion). Some people seem to think as soon as your team is eliminated/doesn't make the playoffs, you should root for a Canadian team. That is a bunch of malarkey (thanks Biden!). I'm a Flames fan and I'm never going to cheer for the Oilers. I mean, does a Man City fan cheer for United? Does an Everton fan cheer for Liverpool?

Only reason I was cheering for EDM this year was because I had them at 15-1 to win the Cup. Not because they were the last Canadian team. Well, and they had the last Polie-dumped Predator in their lineup. Sorry Ekky, wanted you to win bruh.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only reason I was cheering for EDM this year was because I had them at 15-1 to win the Cup. Not because they were the last Canadian team. Well, and they had the last Polie-dumped Predator in their lineup. Sorry Ekky, wanted you to win bruh.

Likewise, I wanted the Leafs to win for former Flames Gio and Brodie. Giordano is under contract for next season and that will likely be it for his career.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
exactly ... The next canadian team I want to win the cup is the canucks and that is a long ways away ... soooooo ... other cdn cities and their fans can fuck right off ... with maybe the exception of winnipeg for me ... i somewhat cheer for them as I feel sorry that their fanbase has to live in winnipeg ... poor bastards! :noidea:

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, but that's like comparing apples to maple syrup bottles. Boom - national dishes aligned!

I understand and agree with you. I'm never like "well if it can't be us I hope SOMEONE from the Mid-Atlantic takes it."

"But" coming...

BUT, given that this is Canada's national sport, it does seem a shame that the Cup doesn't make it's way to these fan communities. And while I obviously hate the Pens and Flyers, I don't mind if Buffalo, New Jersey, or the Isles win it. So there are some teams in proximity that are fine. So while I don't expect @dash to cheer on the Oil obviously, I imagine there's a couple teams (maybe the Sens?) from Canada that you would be happy to see celebrate a Cup win instead of towns like Vegas, Raleigh, or Miami.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, my dad all of a sudden started cheering for Toronto and Edmonton.
I have filed my emancipation paperwork.

You call him Puckhead. I call him... a client. :)

Also, why do you want to change your name to Doug Chesterton? I advised you the name change is NOT required, but if you want a 70s pron star name it's your decision.

sbb122

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It doesn’t work that way in the states with enemies. We’ve got “patriots” rooting for Russia in the war with Ukraine.

/back to the hockey conversation

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, but that's like comparing apples to maple syrup bottles. Boom - national dishes aligned!

I understand and agree with you. I'm never like "well if it can't be us I hope SOMEONE from the Mid-Atlantic takes it."

"But" coming...

BUT, given that this is Canada's national sport, it does seem a shame that the Cup doesn't make it's way to these fan communities. And while I obviously hate the Pens and Flyers, I don't mind if Buffalo, New Jersey, or the Isles win it. So there are some teams in proximity that are fine. So while I don't expect @dash to cheer on the Oil obviously, I imagine there's a couple teams (maybe the Sens?) from Canada that you would be happy to see celebrate a Cup win instead of towns like Vegas, Raleigh, or Miami.

If there is a Canadian based team that has a collection of likable characters on it, I guess I could stomach a Cup win. It also depends on who they are playing. For example, when the Canucks beat the Flames back in '94 (epic 7 game series that Vancouver came back to win from a 3-1 deficit), after getting over the disappointment of that loss, I was hoping for the Canucks to beat the Rangers. A few caveats though:

1. Trevor Linden was on that Canucks team and is from my hometown
2. Pat Quinn coached that team and I always liked him
3. The Rangers were essentially Edmonton East at that point

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If there is a Canadian based team that has a collection of likable characters on it, I guess I could stomach a Cup win. It also depends on who they are playing. For example, when the Canucks beat the Flames back in '94 (epic 7 game series that Vancouver came back to win from a 3-1 deficit), after getting over the disappointment of that loss, I was hoping for the Canucks to beat the Rangers. A few caveats though:

i kinda leaned towards that philosophy back in the day ... but 2011 changed/scarred me ... never again ! lol

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As soon as the Bruins are eliminated in the east Dash cheers for the Canadiens. Assuming of course, they make the playoffs.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As soon as the Bruins are eliminated in the east Dash cheers for the Canadiens. Assuming of course, they make the playoffs.

giphy.gif

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cheered for Calgary vs Tampa... No one cheered for my Canucks outside Vancouver over Boston

I cheered for Edmonton vs Carolina
No one cheered for my Canucks outside Vancouver over Boston

I'll never cheer for another "Canadian" team other than the Canucks I'll cheer for certain players however

Fuck everyone else

Center Ice

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,004.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In my opinion, I think the major problem has been mediocre GM's in Canadian markets over the last 30 years. There certainly is the pressure of having a competitive team each and every season, but the majority of fans realize that you need to have a realistic view of your team's chances and make the tough decisions in cutting loose top players in order to acquire draft picks/young prospects.

Being able to weaponize cap space is something that GM's in Canadian markets seem to have trouble doing as well.
Interesting point of view. You may be right. I do think the US teams are better managed/promoted than the Canadian teams. You'd think that given the NHL is 42% Canucks and 28% US players, we'd be a bit better with our talent, but that doesn't seem to be the case these days.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cheered for Calgary vs Tampa... No one cheered for my Canucks outside Vancouver over Boston

I cheered for Edmonton vs Carolina
No one cheered for my Canucks outside Vancouver over Boston

I'll never cheer for another "Canadian" team other than the Canucks
unless this leafs fan ends up on your front lawn and gives you some gentle pe ... persuasion ... yah thats it ...persuasion

7ED4AD86-F0EE-4E01-9882-30D93C2AFD7D.jpeg