• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Theo Epstein > Brian Cashman

CowboyB

#1 Ignored
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is pretty clear that Theo has surpassed Brian Cashman in being able to build a team. Theo has now taken 2 piss poor organizations who consistently gave up when faced with adversity and turned them into teams that have a winning culture. While Theo definitely spent some money to get there, he still did it the right way. The core of the Cubs were home grown talent. Guys they guilt from the ground up.

Theo didn't have to acquire the BEST free agents every single year. He didn't have to break the luxury cap and get taxed in order to build a team that can compete. He won a championship with the 14th highest team payroll. While Brian Cashman and the Yankees continue to spend themselves into mediocrity.

Congratulations Cubs fans.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll see what?

We'll see which is better.

There's no doubt that what Epstein has done with the Red Sox and Cubs is impressive and I do think he's one of the brightest GMs in baseball and maybe the best.

However, in the eighteen years from '95-'12, the Yankees won their division 13 times, the AL pennant 7 times and a championship 5 times. That's damn impressive too, regardless of what they were spending.

The front office game has changed dramatically in the last 10-15 years in baseball. I believe we've seen Cashman make some adjustments to his strategy, and interested to see if those adjustments payoff. I think he's an extremely talented baseball exec.

Right now, I'm thinking that the Cubs and Yankees are going to be the teams to beat in their respective leagues for the next five years or so.

CowboyB

#1 Ignored
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll see which is better.

There's no doubt that what Epstein has done with the Red Sox and Cubs is impressive and I do think he's one of the brightest GMs in baseball and maybe the best.

However, in the eighteen years from '95-'12, the Yankees won their division 13 times, the AL pennant 7 times and a championship 5 times. That's damn impressive too, regardless of what they were spending.

The front office game has changed dramatically in the last 10-15 years in baseball. I believe we've seen Cashman make some adjustments to his strategy, and interested to see if those adjustments payoff. I think he's an extremely talented baseball exec.

Right now, I'm thinking that the Cubs and Yankees are going to be the teams to beat in their respective leagues for the next five years or so.

The thing is baseball has changed. You don't just go out and buy free agents and hope to compete because profit sharing and contracts have made it easier for small market teams to compete. Cashman was the king at blindly spending money, throwing the dice, and hoping they landed on 7. Now that there is skill involved and you have to actually grade the players you acquire, Cashman is failing.

Every single team has won that division in the last 9 years. The 9 years before that...only the Yankees.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing is baseball has changed. You don't just go out and buy free agents and hope to compete because profit sharing and contracts have made it easier for small market teams to compete. Cashman was the king at blindly spending money, throwing the dice, and hoping they landed on 7. Now that there is skill involved and you have to actually grade the players you acquire, Cashman is failing.

Every single team has won that division in the last 9 years. The 9 years before that...only the Yankees.

We'll see.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not that it means anything, but just for accuracy's sake, ten years ago the Red Sox won the AL East, not the Yankees.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Epstein should run for President. He can fix anything.

CowboyB

#1 Ignored
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's the Yankees farm system look like these days?

Doesn't matter. Prospects are just prospects till they do something.'

Right now the facts are the Yankees can't dominate by spending anymore yet they continue to do so.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yet they continue to do so

Over the last three seasons or so, what are the Yankees free agency acquisitions that you think indicate that they're recklessly throwing money at free agents?

CowboyB

#1 Ignored
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Over the last three seasons or so, what are the Yankees free agency acquisitions that you think indicate that they're recklessly throwing money at free agents?
There current fuckups have prevented them from being able to do so. They will be spending again very very soon..

But guys like Chase Headley, Jacoby Ellsbury, Carlos Beltran, Brian McCann - terribly spent money.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Those prospects could also be used in trades for established major leaguers.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There current fuckups have prevented them from being able to do so.

As a percentage of revenue, MLB as a whole spends 51% on player personnel. That's just the average and includes teams like the Braves, Marlins, Rays and Brewers who were at 40% or less. Most teams that are actually trying to win games range from 55% to a staggering 76% (Tigers). This year, NYY comes in at 45%. If we bumped that up to 57%, they'd have a payroll of $294MM.

They're choosing not to spend money right now and have been for the last three years or so.

They will be spending again very very soon..

I agree with that. If and when their youngsters start to make noise, if there's something worth it on the FA market, they're going to spend. I expect them to back the Brinks Truck up to Harper's house in two years.

But guys like Chase Headley, Jacoby Ellsbury, Carlos Beltran, Brian McCann - terribly spent money.

Meh. The only one there that I see as a major issue is Ellsbury, and part of that is with the luxury of hindsight.

I think the Yankees have done a pretty good job of rebuilding while remaining relatively competitive. Those signings that bother you so much, just don't mean as much to a team with the financial resources of the Yankees.

I'd love it if the Yankees continued to toil in mediocrity, but I'll believe it when I see it.

CowboyB

#1 Ignored
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a percentage of revenue, MLB as a whole spends 51% on player personnel. That's just the average and includes teams like the Braves, Marlins, Rays and Brewers who were at 40% or less. Most teams that are actually trying to win games range from 55% to a staggering 76% (Tigers). This year, NYY comes in at 45%. If we bumped that up to 57%, they'd have a payroll of $294MM.

They're choosing not to spend money right now and have been for the last three years or so.

I agree with that. If and when their youngsters start to make noise, if there's something worth it on the FA market, they're going to spend. I expect them to back the Brinks Truck up to Harper's house in two years.

Meh. The only one there that I see as a major issue is Ellsbury, and part of that is with the luxury of hindsight.

I think the Yankees have done a pretty good job of rebuilding while remaining relatively competitive. Those signings that bother you so much, just don't mean as much to a team with the financial resources of the Yankees.

I'd love it if the Yankees continued to toil in mediocrity, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Actually the Yankees are still spending just not in free agency.

The Yankees spent a lot of money to win in 2016

Using percent to revenue is not fair for a team like the Yankees since they have I am pretty sure, the top revenue.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those prospects could also be used in trades for established major leaguers.

Of course they could. Frankly, I'm concerned about the directional change the Yankees' front office has taken over the last three or so years. If they focus more of their time and resources on acquiring and signing young talent and have the money to put any other team's lights out in free agency? That's a scary proposition.

Maybe Cowboy is right and Cashman is inept, but I sure as fuck wouldn't go banking on it like he is.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Using percent to revenue is not fair for a team like the Yankees since they have I am pretty sure, the top revenue.

"It's not fair"?! Holy fuck.

Somebody please tell me I just read that wrong.