• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

"Their tears taste so good": Here’s Why NFL Fans On Reddit Hate The Patriots: Its Not what you think

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By Matt Dolloff (@mattdolloff)

tom-brady-lombardi-trophy-super-bowl-625-x-352.jpg

BOSTON (CBS) — NFL fans are sick of the Patriots, and it’s not because of “cheating”.

Reddit’s popular NFL subreddit and its 400,000+ subscribers have been weighing in with their feelings on each NFL team, one per day. Thursday was the Patriots’ turn.

Reddit’s comment voting system sets the site apart from other online discussion forums. While the top comments in a thread may not indicate the overall feelings of a given fanbase, they do give a glimpse at the majority.

You may think that the Patriots thread would be filled with fans hating them for their “cheating” scandals. There were plenty of those – but they got voted to the bottom. The top commenters are simply sick of the Patriots’ on-field success and perceived overexposure in the media. It was a refreshingly honest take amid a storm of complaints about cheating and tainted legacies.

Here’s a sampling of the top comments with some Reddit users, their fan affiliations, and comments:

Slayner, Dolphins fan: “I’m dead inside. I’m 23 years old and a dolphins fan. Just let this Era be over please.”

WholeLottaGlove, Ravens fan: “I am tired of them being good”

jcwood, Bills fan: “I hate the Patriots more than stubbing my toe on a ragged tower of old Lego bricks and slightly less than ISIS.”

drewskki1, Bengals fan: “The Patriots are the franchise I wish the Bengals were. I have nothing but respect for that organization, and consider them my #2 team after the Bengals. Most people hate them only because they are jealous of the sustained success they have enjoyed.”

skepticismissurvival, Vikings fan: “They’re a great team and have been for a long time. But I’m tired of hearing about them.”

Fatandmean, Broncos fan: “Need to beat them. Can’t say much else. They are the must win against them team [sic] for us.”

Free_Pimp_C, Texans fan: “We got no problems but they do suffer from overexposure. So when I’m sick of hearing about the Patriots I try to remember it’s not their fault. Same way I don’t fault anyone for the JJ hate…it’s just bound to happen eventually.”

heavyweightstuff, Saints fan: “I like them. They hate Goodell as much as we do. Gatebros and all that.”

IAmKingDuff, Rams fan: “They made me cry when I was in like third grade when Vinatieri hit that game winner vs the Rams in the SB. I spent the years since hating them, but in the past couple of years I’ve come to respect that they are a really good organization and a good team. I used to hate Tom Brady with a passion but now I kinda like him, not sure what’s wrong with me.”

fronkenstein, Cowboys fan: “I think 99% of the hatred towards them is pure jealously of having a Hall of Fame caliber coach and quarterback for 15+ years. I’m indifferent to them unless we’re playing them or if them beating a different team would help us.”

Jux_, Broncos fan: “[Expletive] ’em”

The fans have spoken. On Reddit, most are just waiting for the Belichick – Brady reign of terror end for them, especially for AFC East fanbases.

This one stung a bit, though…

YesILift, Giants fan: “Well, I’d always be happy to go against them in the Super Bowl.”

It’s normal to hate a team that is at or near the top of the league for 15+ seasons. Derek Jeter’s Yankee teams come to mind. But on Reddit, you’ll find a haven of smart, rational NFL fans who are sick of the Patriots not because of silly, overblown “scandals”, but for being so damn good.

And if Tom Brady is right about how long he expects to keep playing, the hatred isn’t going to end any time soon.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
brady brady brady brady patriots patriots patriots

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, reddit hates the Patriots so much that r/nfl is often jokingly referred to as r/patriots2.

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who gives a shit about reddit

Hey, if reddit is so great pack your shit and move on.......

7234.jpg

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The whole "jealousy" angle with the hatred makes me want to puke.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who gives a shit about reddit

Hey, if reddit is so great pack your shit and move on.......

View attachment 22194

I tried to tolerate reddit/imgur for over a year just because of all the easily accessible content. But damn, I really just can't stand either site anymore. This quote is what really got me.

"But on Reddit, you’ll find a haven of smart, rational NFL fans ....."

That's the opposite of what I've experienced on that site. Those people aren't rational about anything. It's a big hive mind of self righteous douchebags where you only ever see one side of any argument. That idiotic point system they have allows the reddit collective to down vote and bury any opinion they don't agree with while at the same time thrusting all their circle jerking to the top. It's fucking sad. If you spend too much time there you start to type in these stupid over used memes and begin falling into the trap of posting cliche overdone jokes on repost after repost so that your comments don't get downvoted by some butt hurt 15 year old social justice warrior. I definitely started to fall victim to this and had to just get off those shitty sites before I became one of them. Hell I still catch myself acting like that every once in awhile.

Oh and BTW Reddit's layout is shit and they censor subreddits that they find offensive. Fuck them.

Anyway that's a bit off topic, but my point is citing several opinions from reddit is stupid. It's like asking several different individual Borg drones their opinion on something. There's no point because there is only one opinion.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
YesILift, Giants fan: “Well, I’d always be happy to go against them in the Super Bowl.”

Word!

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol. Makes perfect sense.

When you get a sample size of .0000000000001% of all nfl fans, it must be true.
well yesterday @WizardHawk said "one example" is proof...

so, im going with that

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tried to tolerate reddit/imgur for over a year just because of all the easily accessible content. But damn, I really just can't stand either site anymore. This quote is what really got me.

"But on Reddit, you’ll find a haven of smart, rational NFL fans ....."

That's the opposite of what I've experienced on that site. Those people aren't rational about anything. It's a big hive mind of self righteous douchebags where you only ever see one side of any argument. That idiotic point system they have allows the reddit collective to down vote and bury any opinion they don't agree with while at the same time thrusting all their circle jerking to the top. It's fucking sad. If you spend too much time there you start to type in these stupid over used memes and begin falling into the trap of posting cliche overdone jokes on repost after repost so that your comments don't get downvoted by some butt hurt 15 year old social justice warrior. I definitely started to fall victim to this and had to just get off those shitty sites before I became one of them. Hell I still catch myself acting like that every once in awhile.

Oh and BTW Reddit's layout is shit and they censor subreddits that they find offensive. Fuck them.

Anyway that's a bit off topic, but my point is citing several opinions from reddit is stupid. It's like asking several different individual Borg drones their opinion on something. There's no point because there is only one opinion.

Also, not saying that some people don't hate the Pats just because of their success. That's definitely true in some cases. But I really don't think it's the majority.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, not saying that some people don't hate the Pats just because of their success. That's definitely true in some cases. But I really don't think it's the majority.

I think most fans are jealous they don't get to play in the AFC East

I know I am

Id love to know how it feels to be a lock for the postseason every year

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think most fans are jealous they don't get to play in the AFC East

I know I am

Id love to know how it feels to be a lock for the postseason every year
"the NFC east is a slaughterhouse"

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
East
NWE (1) 12 4 0 10.9
BUF 9 7 0 4.9
MIA 8 8 0 2.6
NYJ 4 12 0 -5.0

East
DAL (3) 12 4 0 5.4
PHI 10 6 0 3.9
NYG 6 10 0 -1.7
WAS 4 12 0 -8.7

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol. Makes perfect sense.

When you get a sample size of .0000000000001% of all nfl fans, it must be true.

This will go right over his head. I'm pretty sure you also missed a couple zero's.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The only reason success plays into it is because the douchebagness is on greater display than if it was a losing organization.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well yesterday @WizardHawk said "one example" is proof...

so, im going with that

I realize google can run dry when looking for your slanted propaganda, but this one is pretty pathetic even for you Rock.

But hey, whatever you think can help your case.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I realize google can run dry when looking for your slanted propaganda, but this one is pretty pathetic even for you Rock.

But hey, whatever you think can help your case.
hey, i just go by what people here tell me.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rock must have seen the link to this reddit while on "Brady fanboys gone wild".