• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Winter Classic Experience

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, got back today and wanted to share some thoughts and was curious what other Winter Classic attendees thought. I'm sure the game day thread talks about the game itself, so I just wanted to focus on the experience. For those interested, and I'm curious to hear from others who went...

The road - The Caps are not a big traveling team, so going up the PA Turnpike and seeing Caps' flags everywhere and jerseys covering people at rest stops was really cool. On the way back, the guy at the toll booth said "Did you guys take the whole state with you?"

New Year's - A lot of people were dressed up to the 9s, but many people had their hockey gear on. It was mostly a fun, teasing kind of atmosphere. I did have a hilarious moment where a guy was singing "Caps' fans are a bunch of bitches." I asked him to sing it again so I could tape it, so he grabbed his body who started slapping him while the first guy yelled, "we're on the same side!" Ahhh, drunkenness. Carson street is great fun, though we named it Carlson St. for the night. Had lots of good debates with good Pens' fans who were mostly reasonable, except one guy who told me it was going to be Pens 8, Caps 3. I told him "3-1, wait and see."

Tailgating - Was fantastic. I somehow ended up in a lot with friends where we were one of only two groups of Caps' fans out of like 100 groups, though there was an occasional Caps' fan sprinkled amongst a Pens' group. Most were very cordial, but we would get booed on trips to the bathroom. Tailgating is pretty much like nature - large packs waiting to single one out.

Swag - Everyone attending got a free seat cushion with the Classic logo and Reebok was passing out free binoculars with the Classic logo on the case outside the stadium, though I'm not sure a lot of people grabbed these. The party/booths outside the stadium were awesome and you were incredibly pumped before you got in the gate.

The Game - I think the thing that surprised me most is that the Pens' fans were relatively quiet save for short bursts. I think Caps' fans numbered just shy of 20,000 - but that's just a guesstimate. I heard 30,000 from some media outlet, but there is no way it was that many. A few fans were rude (on both sides), but by and large, most people were courteous and talkative, and I didn't see a single fight or serious altercation. It felt like we were miles away (even in one of the first rows in the upper deck), but watching back the TV replay today, I didn't feel like we missed much.

All in all, it was a great night. I got to go with my dad who attended the first Capitals' game back in 1974, so it was very cool to share the experience with him.

And of course we won 3-1, which was a euphoric ending to an incredible hockey weekend.

If the Classic is anywhere near you ever, I can't tell you how highly I recommend going. It was worth every ridiculously overpriced penny.

This video quality is garbage (not sure what happened on the upload), but here is something I put together real quick this evening...

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimmy_the_Tongue

Walks Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like a blast. I'm glad you enjoyed the city. Pittsburgh gets a bad rap but I think it's beautiful and I'm proud to be from here. I might go to the Classic next year depending on who the Pens play.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like a blast. I'm glad you enjoyed the city. Pittsburgh gets a bad rap but I think it's beautiful and I'm proud to be from here. I might go to the Classic next year depending on who the Pens play.

My brother lived there for a year and I've been there a couple other times besides. I am obligated to hate the Pens, but I think Pittsburgh is a really fun town - cool neighborhoods, really good museums, lots of stuff to do, great views, and good people.

apachef4

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know people love to hate on Pittsburgh, and I'm usually no different. However, my mother lived in Sewickley for about 7 years when she worked up there, and I used to visit and go to baseball games at PNC. I can tell you the view of the city from the ballpark is second to none; it's beautiful. This takes nothing away from the fact that I hate every one of their sports teams.

NullDefault

Generic Comment
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So, got back today and wanted to share some thoughts and was curious what other Winter Classic attendees thought. I'm sure the game day thread talks about the game itself, so I just wanted to focus on the experience. For those interested, and I'm curious to hear from others who went...

The road - The Caps are not a big traveling team, so going up the PA Turnpike and seeing Caps' flags everywhere and jerseys covering people at rest stops was really cool. On the way back, the guy at the toll booth said "Did you guys take the whole state with you?"

New Year's - A lot of people were dressed up to the 9s, but many people had their hockey gear on. It was mostly a fun, teasing kind of atmosphere. I did have a hilarious moment where a guy was singing "Caps' fans are a bunch of bitches." I asked him to sing it again so I could tape it, so he grabbed his body who started slapping him while the first guy yelled, "we're on the same side!" Ahhh, drunkenness. Carson street is great fun, though we named it Carlson St. for the night. Had lots of good debates with good Pens' fans who were mostly reasonable, except one guy who told me it was going to be Pens 8, Caps 3. I told him "3-1, wait and see."

Tailgating - Was fantastic. I somehow ended up in a lot with friends where we were one of only two groups of Caps' fans out of like 100 groups, though there was an occasional Caps' fan sprinkled amongst a Pens' group. Most were very cordial, but we would get booed on trips to the bathroom. Tailgating is pretty much like nature - large packs waiting to single one out.

Swag - Everyone attending got a free seat cushion with the Classic logo and Reebok was passing out free binoculars with the Classic logo on the case outside the stadium, though I'm not sure a lot of people grabbed these. The party/booths outside the stadium were awesome and you were incredibly pumped before you got in the gate.

The Game - I think the thing that surprised me most is that the Pens' fans were relatively quiet save for short bursts. I think Caps' fans numbered just shy of 20,000 - but that's just a guesstimate. I heard 30,000 from some media outlet, but there is no way it was that many. A few fans were rude (on both sides), but by and large, most people were courteous and talkative, and I didn't see a single fight or serious altercation. It felt like we were miles away (even in one of the first rows in the upper deck), but watching back the TV replay today, I didn't feel like we missed much.

All in all, it was a great night. I got to go with my dad who attended the first Capitals' game back in 1974, so it was very cool to share the experience with him.

And of course we won 3-1, which was a euphoric ending to an incredible hockey weekend.

If the Classic is anywhere near you ever, I can't tell you how highly I recommend going. It was worth every ridiculously overpriced penny.

This video quality is garbage (not sure what happened on the upload), but here is something I put together real quick this evening...

Thanks for adding the video, it's cool to see it from a fan's perspective.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ho_Brah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
glad you had fun. it was a trip to see it raining during a hockey game.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If either SoCal team gets to play in one of these anywhere in the North America, I will be going. This is an event.
Toyota Stadium home of the NFL Chargers and Galaxy soccer teams and Stadium for the 2017 Winter Classic
hey it could happen